D-3 Football and Orange County

hit the lights

Re: D-3 Football and Orange County

Post by hit the lights » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:54 am

sixman,
Saying Grootegood is the best in OC history is a stretch, not what i said. This kid played teams like Alemany, Grace Brethren, and Cajon, who all had D-1 talents.
Justice, Bennett, McMillan. Plus like you said, went up against the best WR SQUAD on one team in practice every day. Thats how you really get better. Beating the first team in practice , day in and day out. Probably better than playing san clemente, fountain valley, edison , etc.. Yes... PRACTICE!
The eyeball test?? How tall?? lol, how fast, ok, verticle, shuttle, strength, football IQ, toughness, and grades.
YES!! But lets not forget the big one, his pigment. The sad thing is, some could be 5'10 180 lbs run a 4.6, and barely have a 2.o , but still get a scholarship. Meanwhile, a kid like this gets overlooked. real talk!
As for this week, CDM WILL BEAT SERRA by 14 points.
Both teams played St. Francis, and CDM DOMINATED, while serra won, but not in high fashion.
CDM will be prepared, and will need to be discipline vs the mis direction. Hopefully they still have enough in the tank, fill er up, and get it done!! :thumbsup:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:36 am

Saying Grootegood is the best in OC history is a stretch

Really...so who beats him out for the honor?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Ginger88

Post by Ginger88 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:51 am

Obviously this is a person opinion question. I would say a case could be made for Carson Palmer and
D. Foster. I coach against all three and Carson and D. Foster were as amazing as Grootegood.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:58 am

Either guy absolutely dominate on D as well as lead their team on offense?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Ginger88

Post by Ginger88 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:23 am

No but I would say both were better on one side of the ball than Grootegood on either.

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:52 am

If we are having a discussion of the best from the OC, any of you guys old enough to have seen Myron White of Santa Ana Valley or Kerwin Bell from the great Edison teams? For more modern history, Tony Gonzalez was an absolute stud at Huntington Beach. You should have seen him play hoops also!

broman

Post by broman » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:02 pm

A Mater Dei guy told me the guy who gets overlooked from that era is Jr. Palacios. By the way, they guy who returned Mater Dei to glory was Billy Blanton, who nobody talks about. :2cents:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:37 pm

any of you guys old enough to have seen Myron White of Santa Ana Valley

Grew up near Valley at the same time and was buddies with some of his teammates, he was a legend while still in HS. Garry Templeton as well, even though "up north" at Santa Ana HS Isaac Curtis had already set the bar high :D

Here's a link to a great article with all the old OC coaches talking about their picks for the best all-time OC RBs:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
George Will

Donald Trump

broman

Post by broman » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Can anybody explain how the heck Kerwin Bell ended up at Kansas?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Grades

Bell turned heads when he signed with Kansas over Oklahoma, Nebraska, and other high-profile schools in the spring of 1980. Academic questions plagued him as he had transferred high schools back in California. He played his freshman and sophomore years, well enough to make first team All-Big 8 as a freshman, but once the NCAA completed its investigation, it suspended Kerwin for the first 3 games of 1982 and stripped him of a year of eligibility.

https://www.rockchalktalk.com/2016/8/16 ... erwin-bell
George Will

Donald Trump

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:38 am

Steve Berline
Bret Johnson
Kerwin Bell
Scott Miller
Tony G
Keith Van Horne
Dan Owens
Chuck Weatherspoon
Ronnie Hillman
Rex Moore
Carson Palmer
Mark Sanchez
Matt Lienhart
D. Foster
Too Many to choose from, so yes, it was a stretch to say Grootegood was the best ever in the OC, RICH HISTORY.
It was a example of a player with Grootegood traits. Tough as nails, and baller!
It took a genius coach / pete carrol, to see it and continues to find the diamonds in the rough.
Not just a eyeball test. But film vs good competition. If your coach isnt getting you the film you need, then,
its going to be tough. Who is working for you? Marketing you? If your not getting opportunities, then, you find a place that will. No matter where on the field, at the next level, the coach will find a place for you if you can ball, a converted corner to special teams return man? who knows?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:15 am

it was a stretch to say Grootegood was the best ever in the OC

Only if you're ignorant of history...

Matt Grootegoed

(1997)
CalHiSports All-State Sophomore Team

(1998)
All-CIF Defensive Player-of-the-Year
L.A. Times All-County Back-of-the-Year
O.C. Register All-County Defensive Player-of-the-Year
CalHiSports All-State Team
StudentSports All-American Team

(1999)
All-CIF Defensive Player-of-the-Year
L.A. Times All-County Player-of-the-Year
O.C. Register All-County Defensive Player-of-the-Year
CalHiSports All-State Team
USA Today All-American Team
StudentSports All-American Team
Parade Magazine All-American Team

...and led his team to 2 D1 CIF titles

Top that
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:34 am

hit the lights wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:38 am
Steve Berline
Bret Johnson
Kerwin Bell
Scott Miller
Tony G
Keith Van Horne
Dan Owens
Chuck Weatherspoon
Ronnie Hillman
Rex Moore
Carson Palmer
Mark Sanchez
Matt Lienhart
D. Foster
Too Many to choose from, so yes, it was a stretch to say Grootegood was the best ever in the OC, RICH HISTORY.
It was a example of a player with Grootegood traits. Tough as nails, and baller!
It took a genius coach / pete carrol, to see it and continues to find the diamonds in the rough.
Not just a eyeball test. But film vs good competition. If your coach isnt getting you the film you need, then,
its going to be tough. Who is working for you? Marketing you? If your not getting opportunities, then, you find a place that will. No matter where on the field, at the next level, the coach will find a place for you if you can ball, a converted corner to special teams return man? who knows?
I've met and spoken with Dan Owens, I know Matt Leinart pretty well, and Rex Moore has been a good friend of mine for over ten years. I think all three would be the first to admit they couldn't carry Matt Grootegoed's jock as a football player.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:38 am

broman wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:02 pm
A Mater Dei guy told me the guy who gets overlooked from that era is Jr. Palacios.
He does... nearly as much as the offensive line that paved highways for him.

frankieboy

Post by frankieboy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:56 am

MDDad wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:34 am
I've met and spoken with Dan Owens, I know Matt Leinart pretty well, and Rex Moore has been a good friend of mine for over ten years. I think all three would be the first to admit they couldn't carry Matt Grootegoed's jock as a football player.
A great HSFB player isn't always a great college player or great pro. Another example: Preston King, who lasted a year at SDSU due to heart issues. Matt Barkley still has nightmares about the guy after throwing him a bunch of picks in his last HS game against Tesoro.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:34 am

I believe Ethan Garbers of CDM, didn't he break the single season passing TD record held by JT Daniels? if so, very impressive, amazing, especially since he came from a public school instead of a private school.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:19 am

I believe JT Daniels of MD, didn't he play in like 2 fewer games than Garbers?
If so, based on his per game average, he could have had 10 more TDs for a total of 77. Very impressive, especially since the strength of schedule he was throwing against was about double that of the D3-D11 teams Garbers faced...amazing
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:40 am

For what it's worth, J.T. Daniels played in 14 games in 2016 when he set the old record of 67 TD passes. In nine of those games, he played only the first half and one series in the third quarter.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:41 pm

so yes, overall, JT did that in less games, but at the end of the day, it is what it is, also, I believe Ethan Garbers, it was either this season or last season, for passing yards, he threw for over 4,000 yards? if so, that's impressive, that's more than Matt Barkley did in his junior year at MD, which was his best season at MD in terms of numbers, stats, etc.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 am

If i Had to bet, Garbers will be the better of the two in college / next level. (JT)
I knew Hank Bachiemier fro Murrietta Valley was the better of the two a couple years back. Now look at Hank at Boisie. I think The oline at MD are the biggest reason, and the defense for much of that success.