2019 Trinity Lg Football Openers Thread

RedPillWonderland

Re: 2019 Trinity Lg Football Openers Thread

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:34 pm

OutOfState wrote: The secondary got burned again by OLu last week and had several bad breakdowns in the first half against St. Johns College. MD needs to clean this up.
As for the breakdowns, some of the balls that have gotten behind MD this year have of course been inexcusable, coverage be damned, and put them in tough spots. Mainly in that first half against SJC that everyone is focusing in.

But let’s also consider some context. MD gave up a score to maybe the best senior WR in the United States (Rakim Jarrett) and had a coverage bust on a wheel route that led to another TD, both thrown by the best QB they’ve faced this year by far (BYU committed QB Sol Jay Maiava). Maiava’s extension of plays in that game was as much of a factor as anything the secondary did or didn’t do. But let’s not forget to recognize that the D then gave up only 3 points in the second half and completely shut Maiava and the Cadets down.

I already acknowledged the boom or bust nature of the Monarchs stud soph CB Domani Jackson above, so I’m well aware there have been some coverage busts this year.

But Jackson and company have also made a bunch of great plays in coverage, including Jackson returning a pick six last week against OLu right after one of Bryce’s interceptions. That was an aggressive game changing play made in press coverage. Also, maybe I missed a moment that you all have seen, but I haven’t seen anyone “get behind” Jaylin Davies all year. In fact, he absolutely put the clamps on the best two WRs he faced this year in Gary Bryant of Corona Centennial and Jarrett of St Johns.

And let’s tell the full story: several of the deep balls that MD has given up have been in inconsequential moments (i.e. - up big on Centennial, or St Frances, or the OLu game mentioned above).
OutOfState wrote: DJ is probably salivating when he watches film of the blown coverages in the MD secondary.
If DJ is salivating over watching THIS MD defense and secondary, he must be watching all the blooper clips, or a different overall set of tape than I’ve seen, because the defense he’s going to face in a couple weeks is not some Mililani/Don Bosco Swiss cheese outfit.

But maybe we should send that message along to EJ and Frank McManus so they can let the boys know that DJ think they are the weak spot and is going to exploit them on Oct 25.

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:14 pm

RPW good points. I too would give up an occasional big play in exchange for creating havoc in the backfield. Are you an attorney :D I have no retort.

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:41 pm

OutOfState wrote: I have no retort.
Lol now watch, Fifita will torch them for 400 tonight right after I say all that

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:05 pm

RedPillWonderland wrote:I don’t see the Mater Dei secondary being as bad as some others may view them
Well now, that's a far cry from them being "the strength of the defense", isn't it?

I didn't see anyone here describe it as bad, just that they need to step it up. I would argue it's been a weak spot so far. Seems like sometimes the boys back there lose some focus when they're up a few scores. We shall see...

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:30 am

This is High School...number one, the greater the opponent the greater the focus. Undefeated against the best teams in the country, weak spot...lol might want to check with CC, SFA, SJ, just to name three, weak spot...lol

OCurbanlegend

Post by OCurbanlegend » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:47 am

Fifita not quite 400 yards he got 180 on 18/31 but the kid is going to be legit for sure.

Servite rushing attack -34 yards for the game.

Jserra's issue is Booty is just not very good. When you got 5/11 against Santa Margarita with that run game you have problems and it looks like he was pulled from the Bosco game towards the end and yes before ALL the back ups were in. This would be the second time he was pulled. Technically Jserra has better O lineman but I think Servite gets better O line play. Looking forward to Jserra/Servite. I think if the Friars are not to beat up from the last 2 weeks they can get this one.

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:26 pm

I was so looking forward to seeing the Servite team that played SJB last week, however they must have gotten lost somewhere on the 5 freeway. You would think they would have GPS by now. Furthermore the Asylum chanted Bosco is better (in reference to MD) when they were down by 21-0. My math said we were at least 20 points better at that time. I thought Servite was about a better education.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Playthegame wrote:weak spot...lol
You often laugh when the point flies over your head?

Weak spot = MD's D has allowed about 2x as many yards through the air compared to on the ground. DJ will light them up if they don't tighten it up back there

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Omar Bongo wrote: Well now, that's a far cry from them being "the strength of the defense", isn't it?

I didn't see anyone here describe it as bad.
Omar Bongo wrote: DJ will light them up
Cherry picking another member’s well-worded, measured comments in order to self-servingly attack said member’s thoughts, with another moronic attempt at a retort. And getting his trolling completely ignored, as usual.

Then this totally non-contradictory gem: “no one said the Mater Dei DBs are bad,” followed by “DJ will light them up.” ](*,)

No wonder no one pays any attention to this guy :roll: Go back down in your hole or start your own troll thread

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm

You don't have to be bad for the #1 rated QB in the nation to light you up.

You're up. More name calling and insults, please.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Omar Bongo wrote: You're up. More name calling and insults, please.
Sorry, I don’t feed trolls. This is a sort of food bank for you though, and you’ve survived for almost a decade on it, so I’m sure you’ll find another meal.

Oh, and more contradictions, thread hijackings and gratuitous condescension toward your fellow members please, troll:
Omar Bongo wrote: Exactly, but elementary math skills are required...
Omar Bongo wrote: That makes 3 of your aliases...who'll make it 4?
Omar Bongo wrote: ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anything on the actual topic buddy?
Omar Bongo wrote: You're welcome
Omar Bongo wrote: Temper temper...try to focus on the discussion, friend.
Omar Bongo wrote: That royal "we" again...sounds so familiar
:roll: :roll:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Anything at all on the topic, Buellar?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:30 pm

Omar Bongo wrote: Weak spot = MD's D has allowed about 2x as many yards through the air compared to on the ground.
That’s not evidence of a weak spot, Reverend Box Score Analyst. It’s a representation of a team that has buried teams in deficits every game. Those teams have been forced to exclusively throw the ball to try and catch up, which is how football works, genius. And passing happens through the air.

Since you are doing multiplication, what’s the ratio of pass attempts to rushes against MD’s “weak spot” defense? Particularly in 2nd halves?