Open/D1 Playoff Thoughts

WantTheNFLBack714

Re: Open/D1 Playoff Thoughts

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:17 pm

since both programs became what they are now, MD and Bosco, what is the transfer number difference between them? I believe its been said, that Bosco has received more transfers than MD has since both programs became what they are now.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:25 pm

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anything on the actual topic buddy?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 pm

I can still see it being another MD-Bosco CIF title game again

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:00 am

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote: I can still see it being another MD-Bosco CIF title game again
Do you have any thoughts on tonight’s lottery numbers?

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:12 am

sammy swordsman wrote: Are you saying that when Servite beats JSerra by 2+ scores
Marking this down.
FriarJoe wrote: With Servite’s close loss to Bosco it’s hard to imagine even a 4 loss Servite team doesn’t stay in that top 8 somehow
Wow that Bosco LOSS has really boosted morale in CREDO nation I see ...
OutOfState wrote: Teams from the same league are never matched up in the 1st round of the playoffs.
Don’t see how that could remain the rule if 4 TL teams make the 8 team D1 playoffs.
OutOfState wrote: That would be great if these rankings hold as we get to see MV play JSerra finally.
Harlow and CJ could agree to an offseason player exchange right there on the field in postgame.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:50 am

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote:Don’t see how that could remain the rule if 4 TL teams make the 8 team D1 playoffs.
MD #1 seed
SJB #3
JS/Servite #5 & #7

You're welcome
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:06 am

hit the lights wrote: After this year, Bosco wont be a lock anymore.
See below:
FriarJoe wrote: Bosco will just bring in another crop of transfers to fill the voids. That’s what they do.
Preeeeachhhh

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:08 am

Omar Bongo wrote: MD #1 seed
SJB #3
JS/Servite #5 & #7

You're welcome
It’s the RULE we’re discussing, not your worthless hypothetical scenarios Omar. Stay on task Omar. Contribute to the thread Bongo. Stop embarrassing yourself while trying to be condescending Bongo. You’re not clever Bongo.

Your late night and early morning troll attempts are both failing, and you’re losing sleep because of it. Seek help :roll: ](*,)

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 am

SoCalFball wrote: Needs help/need a upset to get in
Servite, San Clemente, Serra
2002tony wrote: Serra is at 4-2 and still has to play BA and Alemany which both may beat them.
If things go south for Servite and they end up in D2, they could end up facing Gardena Serra at some point, which would pit what some posters call the best QB in the sophomore class, Noah Fifita, against a kid who some football geniuses on this board claim is the most overhyped sophomore QB in the history of HS football - Maalik Murphy.

Oh wait, but Murphy doesn’t even start for Serra yet, he backs up another D1 QB recruit, because he wasn’t handed the starting job without competition, so that probably wouldn’t be the matchup anyway. But then, I guess I’m not sure why there would have been so much moronic comparison of his “QBR” with the stats of Fifita earlier this week (especially with Fifita’s stats mostly compiled against JW North and Villa Park).

Nonetheless, one unmatched football analyst on this board dared a shocking comparison of 10th grade, 5-7 Fifita with NFL starters and Heisman Trophy winners Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield. Unbelievable things that some people will say these days.

Unlikely Servite will even be in D2 unless they somehow lost to OLu/SM, but that would be interesting to see those two teams matchup in the playoffs, if only to see how much better Kyler Baker Fifita is than lowly, overhyped, getting-by-on-potential Murphy. But the kid is not even starting for Serra, so he’s really horrible, obviously, right?

I guess we’ll have to wait until next years Mater Dei-Servite game to see those two kids matchup at QB ...

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Temper temper...try to focus on the discussion, friend. What is it about 4 TL teams each placed in separate 1st round games under the current rules that you aren't getting?
FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote:It’s the RULE we’re discussing
That royal "we" again...sounds so familiar...now where have I seen that before :-k
George Will

Donald Trump

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:43 am

Omar, while possible...that the Braves could be the three seed, not probable, but thanks for being an Omar...

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Omar could be right but i think it is more likely the braves will remain at no 2 and be on the opposite side of the bracket.

CC will be 3 and lets just say for now MV will be 4 or 5, and JSerra or Servite is the team at 4 or 5 with the other team being number 6

as long as a Trinity team is not 7 or 8 then the bracket works with one Trinity league team in each quadrant of the bracket facing a non Trinity league team

1 MD
8 calabasas ( just to pick a team)

5 JSerra/Servite
4 MV

3 CC
6 Servite/JSerra

7 Bishop Amat (Most likely to be in the top 8)
2 SJB

With that said if Bosco were to fall to 3 then CC would be at 2, and you just have to switch those two quadrants of the same side of the bracket. CC 2 with Serive 7, SJB at 3 with BA at 6.

its just not that hard to put 4 teams from the Trinity into each of the 4 quadrants for the first round.
Oh, and...( not to show any disrespect to those Bosco hopefuls) if Bosco should beat MD....they would both just change places at number 1 and 2. Same result with 4 trinity teams in all 4 quads.
Last edited by 2002tony on Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:12 pm

No possibility anyone else sneaks in there? Norco? Sierra Canyon? Are JSerra and Servite stuck in D1 now? Does the loser of JSerra/Servite also have to drop 1 game to Olu or SM to escape D1?

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:27 pm

IM My own opinion YES....they have to loose another game (SM or OLu) because the other teams (non Trinity) have already lost significant games or have too poor of a schedule to make up the difference. I think at this point in time if the selection committee had to choose there will be 4 trinity teams. ( as I pointed out earlier)

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:10 pm

2002tony wrote:Omar could be right but i think it is more likely the braves will remain at no 2 and be on the opposite side of the bracket.
Me too, that was before Friday's games. You're right, with SJB's win over JSerra it's almost a lock that MD/Bosco will be the top two seeds

its just not that hard to put 4 teams from the Trinity into each of the 4 quadrants for the first round

Exactly, but elementary math skills are required...

Playthegame wrote:but thanks for being an Omar...
That makes 3 of your aliases...who'll make it 4?
George Will

Donald Trump

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:50 pm

With so many teams coming from different leagues, it will make it hard to look at just who finishes at the top of their league and say they are in the top 8. With teams having the bulk of their schedules against teams that are in a lower division this too poses a problem for comparing teams. There are only so many head to head or common opponent points and comparisons but the selection committee may have to look at just who a team beat and lost to and extending that common opponent thinking.

here is my thinking so far about Norco and others.
the issue with Norco will not be the predicted loss to CC (if that happens when they play) but the loss to Rancho Verde. Norco did beat Vista Murrieta but so did Olu (who may end up behind Servite and JSerra) so that win does not get you into the top 8 on its own or make up for the loss to RV.

Norco has a good win over RC, but RC has a loss to Calabasas to. Why is that not so good - Calabasa has a loss to Serra, who has a loss to ND but also to DIv 4 Loyola, with BA and Alemany still to go. the rest of Norcos schedule is not going to push them past Servite or JSerra either.
Norco could get to the top 8, but not past the top 4 Trinity teams as proposed.

Rancho Verde at 6-1 a very good team at 6-1 but they have a loss to Upland. (That puts Norco behind both RV and Upland). Upland, lost to Mission which is ok and still make the top 8 but the loss that hurts is the loss to Div 3 La Harbra.

Sierra Canyon 6-1 has 2 games in the 1/2 division. Valencia, who is at the bottom of the division with no wins (0-3) in the division, and a loss to Oaks Christian. RV is 6-1 but not against their level of play.
to explain that a little more -
Oaks with losses to Div 3 Grace and Alemany, and a loss to Murrieta Valley, and still yet to play calabasas. So Sierra Canyons loss to Oaks does not put them in the light of a top 8 team either.

So again - no one has as good a looking schedule and performance as JSerra and Servite if I am trying to evaluate just who should be in the top 8

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:23 pm

The real head scratcher for position and just who gets to play who in which bracket is going to be those teams left in Div 2.
OK there is Valencia who will be in at number 16, so who is ever at no. 1 in Div 2 gets an easy game, but when does it become easy to play - SM, OLu, Chaminade, ND, Serra or Oaks..those teams may be at the bottom 8 teams in the division...lol

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Playthegame wrote: This is High School...number one, the greater the opponent the greater the focus.
OC Varisty update on the 8-0 Mission Viejo Diablos:

Mission Viejo has cranked up its offense. The Diablos have scored 56 points or more in four of the past five weeks, including South Coast League wins of 56-0 over El Toro two weeks ago and 63-13 over Capistrano Valley on Friday. The Diablos have a bye next week before playing at home against San Clemente, which beat Mission Viejo last season.”

Hey PTG, with the private school illegal recruiting investigation likely kicking into high gear during MV’s bye week this week, is “Witness-Protection Chad” — allegedly the star witness — focused enough to coach his team to a revenge win over #onetownoneteam on Oct 25 ... on the same night of the Trinity League Super Bowl? #irony

And if they finish 10-0, how can they not be the #3 seed in the Open Div? Considering their dominant wins over the likely Freeway Lg and Baseline Lg champs, and the fact that Centennial was humiliated by MD and also lost to Cathedral Catholic?

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Mission has an argument for #3 if they finish a dominant 10-0. I have no issue with that. CC’s loss to MD means zero but the Cathedral Catholic loss does lower their esteem a bit. I’d much rather be a 6 seed than a 4 or 5 seed. The 4 or 5 seed has MD and a guaranteed beat down waiting for them in the second round. I think it’s clear that it will be hard for Servite or JSerra to drop out of the Top 8 unless they suffer a bad loss to OLu or SM. That is becoming very clear.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Steve Fryer thinks this years MD team, is better than the 2017 and 2018 teams