Open/D1 Playoff Thoughts

Daforno

Re: Open/D1 Playoff Thoughts

Post by Daforno » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:22 am

I get a kick out of people who have such thin skins that say something is absurd because they don't agree with what was said.

Did you want to give MV a participation ribbon for trying?

They got rolled at home 2 consecutive years, and were awful!!!

What's absurd about that statement?

Dumb pass??? SPELL MUCH???

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:46 am

2002tony wrote:I guess the majority of teams MD played were awful
I read it as their performance against MD was awful, not the team itself... --:--

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:03 pm

They flat-out quit last year. They had All League players giving up in the 3rd quarter. They spent all year throttling weaker teams and the minute the got punched in the face they laid down.

No shame in losing to MD, just don't quit.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Well, they sure didn't quit last week. The rematch should be a war...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

dntn31

Post by dntn31 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Current D1/D2 Playoff Standings (pending unreleased Week 10 coaches poll):
Capture.PNG

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:14 pm

Daforno wrote:I get a kick out of people who have such thin skins that say something is absurd because they don't agree with what was said.

Did you want to give MV a participation ribbon for trying?

They got rolled at home 2 consecutive years, and were awful!!!

What's absurd about that statement?

Dumb pass??? SPELL MUCH???

Daforno: I’m so pretty oh so pretty...Thank God I’m not like these other looser fans...why I just don’t know why no one wants to play with me...and I’m not a gossiping Tupperware sales lady either...

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:10 pm

These are Sondheimer's guesses:

Bishop Amat at Mater Dei 1

Servite at Mission Viejo 4

JSerra at Corona Centennial 3

Calabasas at St. John Bosco 2

Actual pairings announced Sunday @ 11:45...

Daforno

Post by Daforno » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:22 am

The spelling thing bother you? please out the bottle down and stop drinking, and bring something to the forum!!!

I'd say bring your A game, but you clearly have a spelling problem so you may have trouble spelling "A"

Daforno

Post by Daforno » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:31 am

I wanted you to feel included, so I spelled PUT incorrectly to OUT so you would feel that you are not alone.!!!

Would you like a participation ribbon also?

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:05 am

I need an 8x12 and some jello molds...

dntn31

Post by dntn31 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:03 pm

Official D1 Bracket
Capture.PNG

dntn31

Post by dntn31 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:21 pm

As much as I love HSFB, it has become a joke on every front. Transient athletes abound and 3-7, 2-8 and 1-9 teams in playoffs.
What’s the freakin point of playing the regular season?
Where is the logic? All lessons of hard work and perseverance out the window. Even as a player, I’m pretty sure I’d be embarrassed to be given a playoff berth at 2-8.
If anyone has any lucid arguments in support of this system, I’d love to hear ‘em.
We’re living in Seinfeld’s bizzaro world. Up is down, down is up, fact is fiction and fallacy is fake.
FELDMAN!!!
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:58 pm

Al, what is our alternative? Above my pay grade...to you, sir?

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Let’s start with less than 14 divisions which necessitates about 200 playoff teams which then requires a bunch of teams that don’t belong in the playoffs filling out brackets.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Remember now folks, the more teams in the playoffs means more revenue for the CIFSS
office.I agree with FriarJoe, there is Waay too many CIFSS divisions, - IMO; ten divisions would be a reasonable number. I don't have a clue how many 8player divisions there are, but could probably
cut a division or two out of that also, maybe not...

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:59 pm

Al Koholik wrote:Transient athletes abound and 3-7, 2-8 and 1-9 teams in playoffs. What’s the freakin point of playing the regular season?
It's deja vu all over again. Haven't we been hearing this from pro sports fans, me included, for decades?

For better or for worse (likely a mix of both) welcome to the American Free Market, gentlemen.

The sacrifices of men like Curt Flood, Rick Barry and Andy Messersmith have finally filtered down to the roots. I remember when owners (and many fans) were wailing about the coming apocalypse in those early days. But after everyone accepted the inevitable and worked out a system, a balance of sorts was achieved. It wasn't the same as it was before, but nothing that hopes to survive and thrive for long is.

What's the alternative? Every system would have its flaws, but old guys like us ranting from our rocking chairs while ignoring the wishes of the people actually participating and impacted the most is a recipe for a death spiral.

People want the freedom to decide their own destinies. But granted, too much freedom can have its drawbacks as well. So a compromise of some change along with a little well-placed regulation might be the answer everyone can agree to and live with.

If schools and parents of athletes can get together and 1) work together to install some sort of more up-to-date recruiting/enrollment/transfer system, and just as importantly 2) form a stronger and more relevant enforcement entity, we could allow players more freedom to control their own lives and enjoy more competitive football.

I'm not suggesting free agency, just that people on all sides face the facts of an evolving society and work together (much like baseball did in the '70s) to channel change into a system with something for everybody...a tall order, I know.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:00 pm

You can complain about the number of divisions but the real problem is that, out of top divisions, the Division 1 playoff bracket is the least interesting or competitive. There will be 30 point blow-outs until the finals. Division 1 is supposed to be the crown jewel of the CIF playoffs and both MD and Bosco get a bye week and two warm-up games (maybe CC puts up a fight) before they meet again.

The division 2-3 brackets boast some pretty interesting match-ups.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:12 pm

While I agree with you, the competitive inequity in D1 is a different issue than the 487 playoff divisions we all hate. We might need a Narbonne type situation to bring one or both super teams back to earth. There is already a tiny chink in the armor of Bosco when their assistant to the assistant ankle taping supervisor/recruiter got suspended this year. Bosco quickly laid down and threw him under the bus and accepted a (almost self imposed) suspension of him, probably in order to keep the enforcement dogs away. Does anyone actually believe that one temporary suspension of 1 coach makes any difference? It’s laughable

SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:05 am

dont be that guy wrote:You can complain about the number of divisions but the real problem is that, out of top divisions, the Division 1 playoff bracket is the least interesting or competitive. There will be 30 point blow-outs until the finals. Division 1 is supposed to be the crown jewel of the CIF playoffs and both MD and Bosco get a bye week and two warm-up games (maybe CC puts up a fight) before they meet again.

The division 2-3 brackets boast some pretty interesting match-ups.
I agree with you and its the main issue. When two teams are monopolizing one division its ridiculous. I know there has been talks that D1 will just be 4 teams next season why not stop there and make it 2 teams because right now everyone else knows who's going to be there. Were all just playing the other playoff games for fun --:--