Mater Dei v St John Bosco - Trinity League Super Bowl 2019

NeilMcCauley

Re: Mater Dei v St John Bosco - Trinity League Super Bowl 2019

Post by NeilMcCauley » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Was JJ Collins not on the field for MD? Or am I Blind. If he wasn't playing, I think MD will have even more firepower when they meet again and will win by more. Was bosco missing any integral components to their team?

OldSunsetFan

Post by OldSunsetFan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:They miss Ricks bigtime...watched him in the IMG-SFA game, kinda felt bad for him, hope he's not regretting his decision
Please
Elias Ricks has great parents and as a family they will be fine. He is a special player and he needed to start college in January of 2020 which was not a option if he chose to stay at MD for his senior year.

I know he has learned about the East Coast, being by himself and hope him well at LSU.

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:44 pm

The "biggest loss" for MD last night was Levasa having to sit out a game and Andrew Fa'aotoalia DL having to play in his place on the OL. That played out in some crucial plays both on offense and defense. Still all worked out well. Losing Zamora is also tough. Looked like a lot of guys got banged up last night, some rest would sure be good. In watching the game today on tape it looked to me there were at least three calls by the refs that were somewhat questionable and all against the visiting team.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:36 pm

“In watching the game today on tape it looked to me there were at least three calls by the refs that were somewhat questionable and all against the visiting team.”

You must have missed the back to back PI’s against Bosco in the 3rd Quarter that lead to a MD score They might have qualified as questionable. But that would be generous.

..and I’m still curious how a PI on 4th and goal results in another 4th and goal? That seems questionable too.

number9

Post by number9 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:55 pm

I may have it wrong but I believe that in high school PI is a 15 yard penalty with no automatic 1st down. If is is 4th and goal it would be half the distance and still 4th down.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:42 pm

OutOfState wrote:MD seems to be doing just fine without those 2 guys.
Against most other teams, maybe. But in the CIF final DJ was 6/19/115 and last night 19/31/312...coincidence?
jb914 wrote:I'd say they miss Bennett or Ware-Hudson more.
Chicken and egg. But IMHO what they miss most is Ricks' experience and senior leadership back there, you can't replace that nearly as easily
jb914 wrote:some of the calls were very suspect and there were some that should have been called against Bosco that were just missed. Bosco #6 had two plays where he could have been ejected for targeting.
I'm gonna go out on a real short limb here and charge opposing coaches with teaching their defenses to specifically target BY every time he leaves the pocket. Meaning helmet to helmet, the knees, late hits, the works. It's apparently consensus that's the only way you have a chance against this team, I've been seeing it happen all season. Someone should make a highlight film of all the times he's been knocked silly running out of bounds, probably twice every game. Last night #6 just blasted him helmet-to-helmet well out of bounds and snapped his head back-

Go to 3:17:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebdgu6XFJAU&t=214s

Just no excuse for that. And then #7 got him later on a similar play.

The loophole is that at high school level the officiating is not keeping up with the level of play. Combine that with no use of replay and it's a recipe for teams employing this "strategy".

Teams have caught on and it's happening every game. There is ample video evidence out there, you could compile a "Bryce Young's Greatest Late Hits" video. MD needs to be calling this out and CIF needs to address it. Now. It's only going to get worse in the playoffs.

BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:51 am

I have a feeling the rematch will turn out a little different. Bosco started the game like they were afraid to make mistakes and in turn made lots to lead to early blown coverage calls. BY will make you pay when you do this and I think it put Bosco in a hole they couldn’t climb out of.

I think they will settle down more for the second game and play a more complete game. They have the firepower to win the rematch, but have to finish drives unlike the three going into the MD end zone late in the game.

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:41 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Against most other teams, maybe. But in the CIF final DJ was 6/19/115 and last night 19/31/312...coincidence?
Difference was in the CIF finals they were in DJ’s face all night. This game they pressured him occasionally but for the most part the Bosco O-line and backs handled the MD blitz pretty well.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:37 am

“ Teams have caught on and it's happening every game. There is ample video evidence out there, you could compile a "Bryce Young's Greatest Late Hits" video. MD needs to be calling this out and CIF needs to address it. Now. It's only going to get worse in the playoffs.”

Bryce Young needs to get out of bounds If he doesn’t want to get hit. The Fox Sports broadcast showed him pulling up before he got out of bounds (he does this a lot) to draw the late hit penalty. He did it last year too. This is not new, he is trying to do it.

They should make a late hits highlight and send it to his Alabama coaches, they’ll tell him to get out of bounds or get down.

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:26 am

Did you guys notice this? It’s been a while since Big Dave’s name has come up here which is a good thing. But I guess he couldn’t help himself after another loss to MD.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:51 am

dont be that guy wrote:“ Teams have caught on and it's happening every game. There is ample video evidence out there, you could compile a "Bryce Young's Greatest Late Hits" video. MD needs to be calling this out and CIF needs to address it. Now. It's only going to get worse in the playoffs.”

Bryce Young needs to get out of bounds If he doesn’t want to get hit. The Fox Sports broadcast showed him pulling up before he got out of bounds (he does this a lot) to draw the late hit penalty. He did it last year too. This is not new, he is trying to do it.

They should make a late hits highlight and send it to his Alabama coaches, they’ll tell him to get out of bounds or get down.
Did you see the sidelines? Not much room to stop from full speed. Kid hit him helmet to helmet. He should have been ejected. After an ejection or two he will stop doing that in the future.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:43 pm

He's still gaining yards, and slowing down doesn't mean you aren't allowed to get hit. And like it was mentioned before, he's obviously doing it on purpose to draw the flag... he was still in bounds.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:36 pm

jb914 wrote:Did you see the sidelines? Not much room to stop from full speed. Kid hit him helmet to helmet. He should have been ejected. After an ejection or two he will stop doing that in the future.
Wrong on both accounts. He had plenty of time to stop, he pulled up inbounds and took a shot. Inbounds and with a shoulder not a helmet. There shouldn’t even have been a flag on the play. It was a hard hit but one the BY could have easily avoided. He wanted the flag.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:45 pm

dont be that guy wrote:The Fox Sports broadcast showed him pulling up before he got out of bounds (he does this a lot) to draw the late hit penalty. He did it last year too. This is not new, he is trying to do it.
joefutbol wrote:He's still gaining yards, and slowing down doesn't mean you aren't allowed to get hit. And like it was mentioned before, he's obviously doing it on purpose to draw the flag... he was still in bounds.
Good Lord, you guys are incredible. You guys have no problem at all with the helmet to helmet? What's it going to take, a concussion or brain hemorrhage? Did you even look at the specific clip I cited above?

I'll make it easy for you. Youtube has a playback speed control function. Set it to 0.25 and freeze the clip at the exact moment of contact at 3:43 and look where Young is.

The refs in the IMG last year were right on top of this, 2 players got kicked out and it stopped. The CIF needs more consistency in ref training and penalty enforcement.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:00 pm

joefutbol wrote:He's still gaining yards, and slowing down doesn't mean you aren't allowed to get hit. And like it was mentioned before, he's obviously doing it on purpose to draw the flag... he was still in bounds.

go fishing somewhere else joefutbol.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:18 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:QR_BBPOST You guys have no problem at all with the helmet to helmet?
I'm not talking about the helmet-to-helmet, I'm talking about the late hit (and hits) on Bryce Young everyone complains about. If you're still in bounds and still advancing the ball, you're fair game to a certain extent. That play in particular I agree with, but I've seen him draw flags at least twice before that weren't warranted. Trying to sneak in a couple extra yards under the protection of "I'm slowing down and going out of bounds eventually" is BS.

As far as the helmet-to-helmet contact, I honestly don't know how the rule comes into play there. Maybe it does warrant a flag.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Bosco is apparently still ranked number 2 in most national rankings, but St. Frances academy moved up on Bosco on one of the polls, very likely MD will have a 3-peat, as difficulty that will be to see

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:21 pm

jb914 wrote:QR_BBPOST go fishing somewhere else joefutbol.
I'm sorry, but the last "late hit" penalty I remember you crying about was this one --

You should be excluded from discussing late hit penalties based on that alone... We'll add that to comparing quarterback talent.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:36 pm

Wow Joe, you're good with this intarnet stuff. Got a screenshot of the actual play everyone's discussing?

As far as the helmet-to-helmet contact, I honestly don't know how the rule comes into play there. Maybe it does warrant a flag

Well, thanks at least for your lukewarm tentative kinda yeah maybe on that point anyway.

I personally can't recall a more blatant example, but then again I'm not talking about the popular and successful QB of my bitter rival. I'd probably see it in a completely different light if that was the case.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:QR_BBPOST Well, thanks at least for your lukewarm tentative kinda yeah maybe on that point anyway.
Lol... That's not what I was even discussing. Don't throw a hissy fit because I don't want to discuss what you were discussing. I never addressed you in the first place. We're gonna have to start calling you FatherSonHolyHoldback Junior.
Omar Bongo wrote:QR_BBPOST I personally can't recall a more blatant example,
An example of what? Helmet-to-helmet contact? Yeah, it's there, and I never said otherwise. What I will dispute is this --
Omar Bongo wrote:QR_BBPOST well out of bounds
Uhhh... literally BOTH his feet were in bounds when the hit was made. I don't think I'm the homer here. You and JB must go to the same ophthalmologist... Dr. Magoo.