Mater Dei vs. St. John Bosco V

Omar Bongo

Mater Dei vs. St. John Bosco V

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Well, the championship matchup pretty much everyone predicted is happening...again

2013 SJB 34 MD 7
2016 SJB 42 MD 28
2017 MD 49 SJB 24
2018 MD 17 SJB 13
2019 ???

7th championship game appearance in a row for the Braves (3-3), 6th appearance this decade for the Monarchs (2-3)

Calpreps hasn't yet made an official projection including this weekend's results, if you do it manually they have MD 34-31...this could change though

Thoughts- after the first game Negro said the difference was Epps...does Bosco go after him early and try to take him out of the game? MV got destroyed by bringing the house and going man to man:

BY: 520 yds, 7 TDs in three quarters...Epps: 10 catches, 339 yds, 5 TDs

Looks to me anyway that talent-wise they're pretty evenly matched. IMHO the coaching chess moves will be critical...how each staff makes adjustments will be the difference

BoscoBrave

Re: Mater Dei vs. St. John Bosco V

Post by BoscoBrave » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:11 am

This is going to be an incredible game. Are there any starters that are injured and missing the game?

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:52 am

BoscoBrave wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:11 am
Are there any starters that are injured and missing the game?
Jaylin Davies has been held out since the last Bosco game. He hasn’t suited up in a month but I don’t know his injury or how much he has practiced. No idea whether he will play.
DL Andrew Faatoalia has not played in the playoffs. I don’t know his injury or status for the game either.

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:15 am

Feel MUCH better about Bosco's chances this time around. I know they can beat MD. Things need to go almost perfect though.

Big difference to me this time around is Sandbeast is practically 100%. He's a completely differently looking back.

Bosco does have a couple of injuries.

broman

Post by broman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:33 am

Last year against Bosco MD ran man free coverage for most of the game. Bosco needs to get DJ involved in the run game to get an extra blocker, surprised they didn't do it last year.

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:29 am

may see a little of what MD did in game 2 last year from Bosco this weekend. Run the ball more, control the clock, keep Bryce on the sidelines as much as possible.

BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:53 am

One of the best things about this game is the coaching matchups. MD has an incredible staff as well as Bosco so watching that chess match will be worth it.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:45 pm

what do you feel was the main difference the benefit MD last year, was it all their defense? because I would say, that's what Bosco needs to step up on, but I probably won't watch the game, since I doubt the outcome will be different.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Kuppster wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:29 am
may see a little of what MD did in game 2 last year from Bosco this weekend. Run the ball more, control the clock, keep Bryce on the sidelines as much as possible.
I don't know, after the way DJ torched the MD secondary 17/30/320 I would stay with what worked. I think MD would love them to try to run on them
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:06 pm

BoscoBrave wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:53 am
One of the best things about this game is the coaching matchups. MD has an incredible staff as well as Bosco so watching that chess match will be worth it.
Yup, it's going to be a game of 2 halves

And not coincidentally, in game 1 both Ds got stingier as the game went on

From 4:00 left in the 3Q to the final whistle there was just one score (Bosco)
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:51 pm

since both are losing elite QB's to graduation, which is looking better for next year in terms of returning starters? my guess is, MD, since that normally seems to be the case.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:06 pm

Big difference to me this time around is Sandbeast is practically 100%. He's a completely differently looking back

He had a great game against Calabasas, couldn't find stats vs. CC...it was only 4 weeks ago he had 8 carries for 22 yds. against MD
George Will

Donald Trump

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:22 am

Sandbeast had about 125 yards against Cen10. I think all 3 backs had 100+. I know 2 for sure.

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:34 am

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:51 pm
since both are losing elite QB's to graduation, which is looking better for next year in terms of returning starters? my guess is, MD, since that normally seems to be the case.
MD will be gaining another elite QB and I consider Bosco's to eventually becoming elite. He's not a national known type of kid but should be as soon as he steps on campus.

MD has more returning starters. Yetts/Craig return as RB's. Pretty much entire receiving group returns except Epps. O-line is where they will need to find replacements for Murao and Marks. Great bookends.

Defensively, the key guys return. Davis, Domani, Davies, Hunter, are the key returners. Other guys they lose can be replaced.

Bosco will have a great 2 headed monster at RB retiring with Luke and Bates. Beaux and McDuffie return as WR.They will probably add a elite receiver.

O-Line loses Drake, Bednar, Womack. No doubt they add a couple of o-line guys via transfer. They don't have the depth at that position.

Defensively, they lost a **** load. Too many to even mention.

This off season is gonna be a busy one for Bosco

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:15 pm

I never doubted MD will be getting another elite QB, that's pretty much always been the case for them in the Rollo era, I wonder if he is already at MD or if it will be a transfer. Steve Clarkson's Son who is at Bosco, is he the QB for the freshman team? or does he play a different position?

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:46 pm

on youtube, I saw someone make a good analogy, of what was the main difference between the MD-Bosco regular season game last year, compared to the post-season game. He said:

"The first game last year was an easy coaching fix for MD after the loss. In the first game last year, MD played zone and gave Bosco receivers a free release off the line when Bosco receivers was much faster than MD defensive backs. Bosco also dominated upfront and was able to run the ball which made the play action passes effective.

In the rematch in last year's title game, MD went straight cover zero bump and run, and it was a wrap because then that made it able for them to put 7 in the box. MD has played cover 1 and cover zero every game since losing to Bosco in the regular season last year and hasn't lost a game since."

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:13 pm

This off season is gonna be a busy one for Bosco

George Will

Donald Trump

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:49 pm

For Bosco? That might be your funniest post of all time...

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:20 pm

The new Maxpreps composite national rankings are out and it's official, it's consensus #1 vs. #2...

1. Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.)
Average rank: 1
MaxPreps Top 25: 1
PrepNation: 1
USA Today: 1
MaxPreps Computer: 1
High School Football America: 1

2. St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.)
Average rank: 3
MaxPreps Top 25: 2
PrepNation: 4
USA Today: 4
MaxPreps Computer: 2
High School Football America: 3

3. St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, MD)
Average rank: 3.4
MaxPreps Top 25: 4
PrepNation: 3
USA Today: 5
MaxPreps Computer: 3
High School Football America: 2

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/kUNNbIbhr ... nkings.htm
George Will

Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:25 pm

should also ask, besides Bryce Young and Kody Epps, how many starters is MD is losing to graduation after this?