Mater Dei vs. St. John Bosco V

OutOfState

Re: Mater Dei vs. St. John Bosco V

Post by OutOfState » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21 am

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:25 pm
should also ask, besides Bryce Young and Kody Epps, how many starters is MD is losing to graduation after this?
Can we please wait a few more weeks to worry about next season --:--

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:53 am

The morning of Dec. 15th hopefully...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:35 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:53 am
The morning of Dec. 15th hopefully...
Exactly! :cheers:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:58 pm

MaxPreps Top 15 high school football Games of the Week

No. 2 St. John Bosco 11-1 vs. No. 1 Mater Dei 12-0
Saturday, 7:30 p.m. at Cerritos College

Top Players

Mater Dei: QB Bryce Young (5-11, 185), OL Myles Murao (6-2, 315), LB Raesjon Davis (6-1, 210), WR Kody Epps (5-10, 170), CB Jaylin Davies (5-11, 165)

St. John Bosco: QB DJ Uiagalelei (6-4, 245), LB Kourt Williams II (6-1, 215), WR Kris Hutson (5-10, 175), OL Drake Metcalf (6-2, 275), DL Kobe Pepe (6-1, 295)

The winner puts itself in position to be the National Champion. Mater Dei is trying to do what it did in 2017 — go wire-to-wire as the No. 1 team in the country while Bosco is looking to even up the season series. Expect this game to be even closer than the 14-point win the Monarchs got in October.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/LxY4QB-wv ... -bosco.htm
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:14 pm

the article says "MD is trying to do what it did in 2017" i'm surprised and shocked they didn't mention 3-peat for MD, I guess it's because, last year's MD team, didn't finish number 1 in every poll because the team didn't go undefeated last year, and North Shore from Texas is what MD is tied with last year for National title.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:14 pm

You're a funny guy

You claim to be "surprised and shocked" that they didn't mention 3 peat and then you give the reason why they didn't...if you know why, then why would you be surprised or shocked?

Last year, the Calpreps computer rankings that Maxpreps uses had MD #1 by a wide margin:

1 Mater Dei 96.2
2 St. John Bosco 89.4
3 IMG 83.6
4 De La Salle 82.2
5 St. Frances Academy 81.6
6 St. Louis Honolulu 80.4
7 North Shore 77.9

(Note that MD played and beat the next 3 teams ranked under them while North Shore didn't play a single team from outside of Texas)

Nevertheless, the MaxPreps Human poll had North Shore #1. I don't say inexplicably because it is completely explicable...the coaches who voted them #1 knew full well which team was by far the best, but they wanted to make a "statement"...unfortunately it didn't turn out to be the statement they intended...as far as I can tell every other major poll had MD #1 as well. If someone has different info, please post.

So rest assured that excepting a group of bitter, butthurt coaches, in everyone else's eyes MD will indeed be 3 peat National Champions if they manage to win out...a huge if, to be sure...
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:25 pm

USA Today:

"If No. 1 Mater Dei can pull off the win, it would be the Monarchs’ third straight CIF-Southern Section title and put them one win away from a three-peat as state and potential National Champions. If that does happen, they would be just the fourth group to accomplish this feat since USA TODAY joined the list of selectors in 1982."

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/dj-uiagale ... arterbacks
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:41 pm

Well, here's my take on the game...it could go either way

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Bosco wins. They have to be confident knowing that in the first game they played MD even from the 2nd qtr. on. Also, they have the revenge factor working for them big time.

MD hasn't played poorly or had a letdown game for a long time...since they lost to Bosco in league last year, coincidentally. Wouldn't be a stretch to say they're due for another one. Question is, will BY and the other seniors let that happen?

Since both teams were successful throwing the ball last time I'm guessing it will come down to the running games and turnovers. Bosco I think has the edge in the former, and MD the latter. MD will have keep the penalties to a minimum as well, they don't have their usual margin of error vs. this opponent.

And the big question for me is, does Bosco double Epps this time or just try to concuss him every time he gets thrown to?
George Will

Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:24 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:14 pm
You're a funny guy

You claim to be "surprised and shocked" that they didn't mention 3 peat and then you give the reason why they didn't...if you know why, then why would you be surprised or shocked?

Last year, the Calpreps computer rankings that Maxpreps uses had MD #1 by a wide margin:

1 Mater Dei 96.2
2 St. John Bosco 89.4
3 IMG 83.6
4 De La Salle 82.2
5 St. Frances Academy 81.6
6 St. Louis Honolulu 80.4
7 North Shore 77.9

(Note that MD played and beat the next 3 teams ranked under them while North Shore didn't play a single team from outside of Texas)

Nevertheless, the MaxPreps Human poll had North Shore #1. I don't say inexplicably because it is completely explicable...the coaches who voted them #1 knew full well which team was by far the best, but they wanted to make a "statement"...unfortunately it didn't turn out to be the statement they intended...as far as I can tell every other major poll had MD #1 as well. If someone has different info, please post.

So rest assured that excepting a group of bitter, butthurt coaches, in everyone else's eyes MD will indeed be 3 peat National Champions if they manage to win out...a huge if, to be sure...
I believe Bishop Gorman from Vegas, was the last H.S. team to have a 3-peat of National Champions. How is the health for both teams? which team has more injuries? I hope the Revenge factor really helps and benefits Bosco a lot tomorrow night, they got to play excellent pass defense on Kody Epps, control the clock, I feel if they can keep Bryce Young off the field, Bosco has a chance.

As much as I enjoy watching H.S. Football, my mind is 50/50 on watching the game, since a huge part of me doesn't want to see the game, since I feel MD is going to win again, gonna be a tough pill to swallow to see them having a 3-peat.

I feel I can sum up 2 major turning points in MD's return to National prominence, a national powerhouse again, this one I've mentioned already obviously, Rollo blowing up the program after the 2011 season, a huge offseason after the 2011 season ended, Rollo made a huge overhaul, revamp of the program.

The next turning point, was the CIF title game loss to Bosco at Angel Stadium in the 2016 season, MD just exploded after that, suffering only 1 loss since then, which was to Bosco in league last year in the regular season, other than that, they have won every game following the 2016 CIF title game loss at Angel Stadium to Bosco.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:43 pm

Depends what you mean by National Champions. There are at least half a dozen nationally recognized ranking services...the only year BG was consensus #1 was 2016
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:45 am

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:24 pm
I feel I can sum up 2 major turning points in MD's return to National prominence, a national powerhouse again, this one I've mentioned already obviously, Rollo blowing up the program after the 2011 season, a huge offseason after the 2011 season ended, Rollo made a huge overhaul, revamp of the program.
You've mentioned Coach Rollinson "blowing up" his football program after the 2011 season at least 15 or 20 times in your posts. Just exactly what do you think that means, as any changes he made were relatively minor.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:56 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:43 pm
Depends what you mean by National Champions. There are at least half a dozen nationally recognized ranking services...the only year BG was consensus #1 was 2016.
There are seven generally recognized national polls. Hopefully to prevent this constant speculating, here are the "national champions" since 2000.

2000 - De La Salle
2001 - De La Salle & Ben Davis IN
2002 - De La Salle & Castleford ID
2003 - De La Salle & Westlake
2004 - Colerain & Southlake Carroll
2005 - Southlake Carroll & Lakeland FL
2006 - Southlake Carroll, Lakeland & Warren Central
2007 - St. Xavier & Northwestern FL
2008 - St. Ignatius & St. Thomas Aquinas
2009 - Don Bosco Prep, Abilene & Hutchinson KS
2010 - De La Salle, South Panda MS, St. Edward & St. Thomas Aquinas
2011 - Don Bosco Prep - UNANIMOUS
2012 - John Curtis, Allen & De La Salle
2013 - Booker T. Washington, St. John Bosco & Allen
2014 - Allen, Bishop Gorman & De La Salle
2015 - Katy, Colquitt, Bishop Gorman & De La Salle
2016 - Bishop Gorman - UNANIMOUS
2017 - Mater Dei - UNANIMOUS
2018 - Mater Dei & North Shore
2019 - Currently Mater Dei (UNANIMOUS)

Daforno

Post by Daforno » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Enough IOU chat, time to "man up boys"

Who wins and why!

I say MD 35-17, Bosco must focus on Epps, so MD runs more tonight, so the clock runs, MD defense is quite good, but doesn't get the credit because Young and the offense get all the attention.

The Clemson kid could change things although I can't see Bosco out scoring MD if BOTH TEAMS play their best.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:54 pm

MDDad wrote:2018 - Mater Dei & North Shore
The bitter group of coaches placed that NS team above MD in the one poll was sad and spiteful...MD was consensus #1 in everyone else's eyes
George Will

Donald Trump

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:20 pm

It's always hard to double up a quality opponent in the win column. SJB is a quality opponent. However everything I have seen to date says MD is the superior opponent. See you at the game! Bongo do you wear the shades at night as well? I'll keep my eyes out...
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:37 pm

If you try to sit with the MD fans I'll have to alert the Federales
George Will

Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:40 pm

MDDad wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:45 am
You've mentioned Coach Rollinson "blowing up" his football program after the 2011 season at least 15 or 20 times in your posts. Just exactly what do you think that means, as any changes he made were relatively minor.
because it was a major turning point MD's journey or rise to becoming the national powerhouse again that it is now.

Anyway, any key injuries for both teams tonight?

broman

Post by broman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm

Bosco is getting killed in their single safety man free defense.... How about some two high looks, make Mater Dei run the ball.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:47 pm

broman wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 pm
Bosco is getting killed in their single safety man free defense.... How about some two high looks, make Mater Dei run the ball.
Agree. And disguise, roll in and out of 2 high, play with Corner alignments, bait him. Young is good but he can be fooled.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

broman

Post by broman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:18 pm

We have a game people....