Mater Dei vs. St. John Bosco V

Al Koholik

Re: Mater Dei vs. St. John Bosco V

Post by Al Koholik » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:45 pm

How the F’ is that not decapitation not a penalty?
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

broman

Post by broman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:58 pm

Great blitz package from Bosco in the 2nd half. Mater Dei couldn't handle it.

Trojanfan949

Post by Trojanfan949 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:10 pm

I don't know if I would call this an upset but It definitely has the feeling of one. WOW!

Exocet 98

Post by Exocet 98 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Congrats to SJB. MD CHOKED !!!

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:26 pm

A palpable difference in the two teams demeanor and body language as the MO switched.
MD D gassed. Hard to play man with no pass rush.
But holy crap did Negro screw the pooch on 4th down. Practicing snaps during timeout tells me they drew that play in the sand. Seriously. Does anyone here think that was a sound decision let alone play call? Heck. Might as well put him in the gun and get a running start without telling the D what you’re running. MD would have had to play it straight. Young fumble saved his Assss. DJ deserves the ring for that performance.
W.C. Fields

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:21 am

So my pregame assessment was half accurate. The accurate, it's hard to beat a good team twice. The inaccurate, making the assessment one team had proved all season to be good the other superior. Until last night I had not seen anything from MD to lead me to believe they were not the better team.

But thats why we play the games.

I couldn't help but to think the team on the previous losing side of the match-up was simply the hungrier team. MD came out with swagger in Q1 but by the half I could feel it fading. The second half had SJB playing with fire and MD not rising to the challenge.

The game was filled with miscues and mistakes way too many fumbles, dropped balls, over throws and INT's. In the end it was SJB and their rush on Young that made MD look mortal. Even at the end after a botched 4th and 1 QB sneak by DJ and SJB giving MD the ball back near the red zone with a couple minutes and what is suppose to be the number #1 team in the country with the #1 QB they cough up again on a missed assignment, sack, fumble game over. Most would bet their house Bryce Young ends that easily on a game winner final 20 yard drive.

In the least we had a close game in D1 so that a positive right!
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

PolySci3202

Post by PolySci3202 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 am

Best sentence from this thread- "It's hard to beat a good team twice." DJ had 440+? That's hard to beat as well. Did trenches win the battle, as Rollo said would be the case? Hmmm...

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:51 am

CIF Champs baby!!!

The MD crowd stunned reaction to losing was glorious.

We ain't done.

Domingo

Post by Domingo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:38 am

Did anyone catch Bruce’s postgame interview with Steve Fryer of the OC Register?? I’m concerned coach doesn’t have much time left. I actually felt sorry for him admitting not being able to recall what happened during the game. It’s been obvious for awhile that he’s no longer coaching and more of a figurehead but last night was painful.

In regards to the game itself, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen one of Bruce’s teams choke as bad as they did last night. How do you give up a 28-5 lead when you’re a double-digit favorite and the #1 team in the country?!? Then again this is what you get when you bring in purchased talent rather than cultivating a team as was the case in the 90’s.

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:55 am

PolySci3202 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 am
Did trenches win the battle, as Rollo said would be the case? Hmmm...
Yes. The Bosco O-line gave DJ great protection for the most part. They picked up MD’s blitzes very well. The DBs rely on the QB being pressured since they are in single coverage. When DJ is not pressured.... well you saw what happened. Young usually had time to throw. On the fumble by Young when most people thought MD was going to score at the end of the game, the Bosco LB lines up to blitz, not even disguising it, and nobody picked it up.

Daforno

Post by Daforno » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:48 pm

Bosco ABSOLUTELY DESERVED that win last night, I was amazed that they took Epps out of the game, Bosco staff was outstanding in their prep.
I was surprised that MD didn't put Epps in motion so he could shed the 2 guys over him.
In watching on TV Epps had a guy right over him and then about 6 yards back another guy, and yet MD just lined him up in the slot ( normal position ) and basically conceded him to Bosco.
No imagination at all to free the kid up.
I knew MD was in trouble when Loya kicked the 27 yard knuckleball for their first 3 points! and then I really knew it was over when the D lineman not only defects the pass, BUT THE BALL GOES STRAIGHT UP and all he has to do it stand there to catch it!!!
He could do that 100 times and he doesn't catch that ball.
The planets lined up correctly for Bosco and they took advantage of it, on the last turnover I really was surprised that Young didn't account for the Bosco kid right on his right side, coming right at him I thought he'd be able to see coming from the right.
I don't think Bruce has ever lost a 25 point lead until last night,

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:53 pm

Domingo wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:38 am
Did anyone catch Bruce’s postgame interview with Steve Fryer of the OC Register?? I’m concerned coach doesn’t have much time left. I actually felt sorry for him admitting not being able to recall what happened during the game. It’s been obvious for awhile that he’s no longer coaching and more of a figurehead but last night was painful.
Well, I knew someone was going to go there when I saw the interview.
Your “concern” for Rollo’s well-being is sweet. But a few things...
Like everyone on the MD side, he was is in shock but still classy enough to stop and speak with Steve just minutes after the game. He could have easily used any number of applicable cliche’s like, “you can’t turn the ball over like that and win”, or the like. But he was honest. It was an f’n blur. I experienced games like that in my 20’s and 30’s and in an immediate post game haze couldnt tell you the name of my QB or whether I rode the bus or drove myself. It happens...
Your thinly veiled assessment of his mental capacity is straight crap. He’s infinitely sharper than the guy sitting in the Oval. That’s for damn sure.
As to the “figure head” comment... outside of being a pos coach for RB’s, he hasn’t called a play or a D since he go there in ‘89. He is a leader. A motivator. An organizer. The face, and voice, of the program. He has always said that he is going to make 5 or 6 key decisions in a game. The rest is up to the great coaches he has enjoyed on his staff for the last 30 years. That trust has always been there and I have never seen him second guess his coaches. Ever. He takes full responsibility, always. When was the last time Saban called a play? Simply a figure-head as well?
But I will give some credence to your juxtaposition of today’s MD demographic and that of the 90’s, most simply because I don’t care for this age of the transient athlete in HS sports. But MD/Rollo did what they had to in order to compete. Period. If they hadn’t, everyone here would have been pounding nails into Rollo’s coffin years ago. The last CIF and National titles would have remained those of the 90’s and everyone would be joining in the refrain of “the game has passed him by”.
You can’t have it both ways.
Rock and Roll Baby!
W.C. Fields

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Two things-

In almost every game this year MD got out to a big lead early and then let up...they did it the first time against Bosco and got away with it, last night they didn't. I would argue that at least part of the problem was the incredibly slow pace:

And it wasn't just the first half. All those stoppages gave SJB time to regroup and MD time to relax...and they took full advantage, credit to them.

Also, everyone talks about MD's transfers...well, the one that affected them most last night was one they lost...Elias Ricks. With him blanketing Loya (another transfer they "lost") the secondary looks and performs 100% better.

And talk about coaches having a brain freeze, Al is right about Negro's 4th down call...WTF, almost like he was trying to hand MD the game. That's usually what's known as "Monarch Magic" time...and then no one picks up #10 coming from the right, BY is caught staring down his target on the left and for the first time in a long time a late game break doesn't go MD's way...regardless of whether he was already down when the ball came loose or not. Bosco deserved to win. 2016 all over again...

2016 & 2019 SJB
2017 & 2018 MD

It was a great ride...

"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:05 pm

Agree with Omar on let up. Was MD ever legitimately challenged in the second half of a game this year? 4th qtr?
And I’m sure the inventory is somewhere on this board, but I’m lazy. Can anyone regurgitate the “Homegrown” comparison between MD and Bosco?
W.C. Fields

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:22 pm

yeah, the slow pace is what hurt MD.....

Shut the hell up about that. Jeezus.

Such nonsense

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:56 pm

It's like you didn't even read what was written...MD did it all year, not just in this game.

You think the SJB staff didn't take advantage of all that extra time to work on adjustments? Give your coaches some credit.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:42 pm

well words can't describe how happy I am that Bosco finally succeeded in getting their revenge on MD, that comeback was amazing, probably maybe the greatest comeback in CIF post-season history? Also, I imagine when Bosco started making their comeback, I bet a lot of MD fans in the seats, stands, or players, were probably thinking to themselves "I wish Elias Ricks hadn't transferred out"

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:56 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:36 pm
Also, everyone talks about MD's transfers...well, the one that affected them most last night was one they lost...Elias Ricks. With him blanketing Loya (another transfer they "lost") the secondary looks and performs 100% better.
Sure it would have been nice to have Elias Ricks. Regarding Loya, what if MD accepted his transfer? :eh?:

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 am

Elias Ricks would have made a huge difference in Saturday Night's game for MD, but oh well, it is what it is, was Logan Loya considering MD before transferring to Bosco out of OLU?

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:11 pm

ifs, coulda, woulda, shoulda......

It doesn't matter