Super Conferences

Sixth Man

Super Conferences

Post by Sixth Man » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Why don't we just create a few super conferences with promotion and relegation like the South Coast/Seaview Conference?
Aliso-CV-DH-SJH-SC-Tesoro-ET-LH-MV-TH (10)
Ful-SH-Troy-BP-LH-Son-BO-ED-Val-Esp-YL-Cyp (12)
GG-Pac-RA-Sant-BG-LQ-Los-Ana-Kat-Ken-West-Mag (12)
Edi-NB-Mar-OV-Westy-FV-LA-CDM-Est-NH-CM-LB (12)
IRV-NW-Por-Uni-Wood-FH-Beck-Tust-EM-Org-VP-Can (12)
Cent-God-Sad-SA-Seg-S.A.V.-Loa-CC-Crean (9)
I know the last league is a bit of a mosh pit but not horrible. 6 Up/6 down in most circumstances. What do you think?

watchersince68

Re: Super Conferences

Post by watchersince68 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Sixth Man
When you say " we should create ", I don't think we have much at all to do with it. But good luck let us know how you do.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:52 pm

What's NB? HB?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:04 am

Yes NB should be HB. I'm sure I made several mistakes. A lot of schools could be changed but I think the idea is solid. It's always hard to place Cypress and the Tustin schools for some reason.

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:43 am

I understand you put district/city schools together for convenience, but in most cases its a poor fit. Your middle group there that includes Edison and Westminster for example. Westminster lost by an average of 50 points a game last year to schools in d8 and below. There is no way that they, OV, Estancia, CM or LB belong with any of the teams in that group.

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:45 am

I would also add that conferences make rivalries very difficult. When most of your students/athletes can't name the teams in their league because each sport is different, you have a problem.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:40 pm

I agree with that last part. That's why CIF Championships have less value. The players and student body have no idea who they are playing so it carries far less weight. Maybe 6 team leagues make more sense, at least in a two year cycle. I liked regional championships better. Orange County should be divided into 3 divisions after division 3 or 4. Have a high, middle, and lower division champ. There is no intrigue in playing Ventura or Palmdale for lower division Orange County schools.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:46 am

I still think La Habra should go back to the sunset league, where they used to be in the 50'.s
CDM
LA HABRA
EDISON
LOS ALAMITOS
NEWPORT
HB
A few years back , when Esperanza was solid, they were in the sunset, and was always playing for the title vs Los Al.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:14 am

I don't know Sixth Man not sure your idea is the solution...., would you be supporting a 12 team league in which only 3 go to CIF? And if we have huge gaps in top to bottom now with 6 team leagues what would a CDM vs Ocean View or Edison vs Costa Mesa or Los Al vs Estancia game be? #-o

@HTL, you have a good league there but this is what CIF-SS division and playoffs are for, pitting the best against each other in those respected divisions.

Question, is the Freeway League asking LH to move on? Does CIF get lobbied and eventually asked or pressured to act? CDM abused the PCL for 6 straight seasons running off 36 straight wins. The powers that be finally had to fix that.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:29 am

"The powers that be" are the county principals. The CIF office has almost zero to do with leagues. Even when a school appeals its placement, CIF can advise the local area to review what is proposed, but can't make the principals change their mind. Trust me, even when a school is clearly misplaced, it still takes a majority of the principals in the county to agree and vote for a proposal that makes the change.

CIF could be really interesting next year. My understanding is that CIF will use Calpreps ratings at the end of the year to sort the divisions. 14 auto-qualifiers +2 wild card teams that fit within the range of Calpreps ratings for that division. In theory this should mean that all 16 schools are fairly comparable.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:07 pm

They aren't 12 team leagues. They are 12 team conference where 6 are up and 6 are down and play 5 games in league with the top 3 being automatic qualifiers.