New CIF Playoff Divisions 2020

SoCalFball

New CIF Playoff Divisions 2020

Post by SoCalFball » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:40 am

Starting next season CIF is proposing playoff divisions that will include the current year's results. If it was in place this season I think CDM would've definitely been in D1 based off this new formula.

https://cifss.org/news/football-2020/

Omar Bongo

Re: New CIF Playoff Divisions 2020

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:22 pm

As well they should have...they themselves deserved that much.

Which is preferable - to run the table against obviously inferior (D3-D11) competition or test yourself against the best? We (and they) wouldn't have to wonder the rest of eternity if they would have beaten Mission Viejo or how tough a game they could have given MD...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:27 pm

@SoCalFball it could prove out to be a better way, dealing with the "now" or "present" instead of the past. Obviously here most of us have been around long enough to see the tweaks in the systems that be through out the years. Like NCAA football there still isn't that "PERFECT" system or scenario to reflect what is possible within any given one year.

All I know is you play by the present rules as set. I've downloaded the letter from the CIF as per rule changes. On first glance I thought, I better read this again and maybe again. Seems a lot to digest for those of us whom did not write these news rules.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:49 pm

SK80 wrote:there still isn't that "PERFECT" system or scenario
And for good reason. There isn't one.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:23 pm

This is interesting. Is the CIFSS really so incompetent that they do not know how teams will be ranked next season, despite giving an explanation of what they apparently thought the process will be? Sounds like they thought wrong.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:55 pm

I'd say a tad more than interesting...comes right out and calls them bald-faced liars

Wow
George Will

Donald Trump

frankieboy

Post by frankieboy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:45 am

Now live in AZ-the format here is that they do divisions by enrollment (2A through 6A)-and can place schools up/down based on performance. On top of that-top 8 teams that year (regardless of division) are placed in Open Division upon completion of regular season. Result has been great playoff games at all levels as the best play the best and the lower divisions have fewer blowouts-they actually had 15 seeds beat 2's and a 16-1 game was within a touchdown.

Could this work in CIF-SS?

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:27 am

Not in modern era CIF HSF where enrollment has meant less with the migration of players to any one program of choice. Enrollment figures have some meaning for some public schools and lesser on privates.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

frankieboy

Post by frankieboy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:06 am

AZ's system allows for privates or select publics that "attract" players to move into larger school divisions. Hence Notre Dame Scottsdale (on enrollment alone a 3A school) is moved into 6A for football. On top of that-if they have a real good year-Open Division. This ensures that the best play the best-regardless of enrollment numbers. Open Division had a mix of schools from 4A, 5A and 6A (eventual winner Chandler a 6A school that would compete nicely in CA against all but MD/SJB).

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:19 pm

SK80 wrote:Not in modern era CIF HSF where enrollment has meant less with the migration of players to any one program of choice. Enrollment figures have some meaning for some public schools and lesser on privates.
You're focusing on the exceptions to the rule. For the vast majority (99%) the enrollment system is still a fair starting point. And the CIF is moving toward the kind of playoff system frankie describes. The question seems to be whose ratings will they use to determine the playoff divisions and seeds?
George Will

Donald Trump

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:14 pm

And we shall find out more in the coming month....

I think this will make some happy some not, many have cried the playoffs should reflect the "NOW SEASON" not the rolling past as what "WAS" isn't always what "IS". Big graduating classes or big recruit exoduses or big recruit incoming can greatly fool the past system.

Fryer: CIF-SS begins process to change football playoff structure
https://www.ocregister.com/2020/01/02/f ... socialflow

CIF-SS commissioner Rob Wigod’s latest “Message From The Commissioner” on the CIF-SS website detailed proposed plans for changing the method used to place teams in divisions for the CIF-SS football playoffs.

The big change would have teams placed into divisions at the end of the regular season based on their results that season, not placed in divisions before the season starts based on previous seasons, as has been done recently.

Also, teams would be seeded 1-16 regardless of league affiliation. With a pure 1-16 seeding, teams from the same league could play each other as early as the first round. In the past playoff bracketing rules separated teams from the same league so they wouldn’t play each other until the semifinals.

Wigod’s message stated that CalPreps.com would develop power rankings for every football team in CIF-SS. CalPreps.com posted Monday a rather heated message that CalPreps.com never agreed to its involvement.

The CalPreps.com message, which made the Twitterverse rounds quickly (of course), was removed from its website after a few hours Monday. A CalPreps.com spokesman declined to discuss CalPreps.com’s position in all of this.

The CIF-SS Council, the CIF-SS legislative body, gets a first look at the proposal at its Jan. 28 meeting and votes on it March 31.

dntn31

Post by dntn31 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:06 am

Attached is the proposal they will be voting on.
Attachments
Football Proposal.pdf
(8.17 MiB) Downloaded 108 times