Orange County Football Signing

JakeRoberts

Orange County Football Signing

Post by JakeRoberts » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:23 am

Do we have a list of Orange County residents, meaning their permanent residence is actually in Orange County, that signed during the early signing period this week?

I would assume the three Corona Del Mar boys who signed this week reside in the Newport Mesa attendance boundaries.

hit the lights

Re: Orange County Football Signing

Post by hit the lights » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 am

Mason West LA HABRA , University of Washington, local resident.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:45 am

JakeRoberts wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:23 am
Do we have a list of Orange County residents, meaning their permanent residence is actually in Orange County, that signed during the early signing period this week?

I would assume the three Corona Del Mar boys who signed this week reside in the Newport Mesa attendance boundaries.
Without a doubt since grade school..... :thumbsup:

Corona del Mar football beats Serra to cap 16-0 season with CIF State Division 1-A title

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pil ... ateo-serra
JH_MR_CDM.jpg
Corona del Mar's Mark Redman, right, carries the ball against Serra in the second half. {Photo: Kevin Chang}

“These players don’t play for themselves,” Sea Kings coach Dan O’Shea said. “They play for each other. More importantly, they play for the entire community of Corona del Mar because that is where these kids are from, and that’s what they believe in.”

In 2013 CDM became the first California high school football team to go 16-0, winning CIF STATE D3, in 2019 they did it again winning CIF STATE 1A going yet again 16-0. In 2013, they beat a private in Sacred Heart of Atherton, in 2016 and 2018 they were stooped short by two privates in Sierra Canyon and Grace Brethren. In 2019 they had to go through 3 privates in Bishop Allemany, Grace Brethren and Serra of San Mateo to their undefeated season and CIF-SS and CIF State championships.

All of those teams were made up of neighborhood kids from Newport Mesa Unified @ Jake Roberts.

I'll let Coach O' Shea say it best.... =D>
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

JakeRoberts

Post by JakeRoberts » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Western High will have a signing ceremony for football standouts Caine Savage (Utah) and Cassius Savage (San Diego State) Wednesday at 2:45 p.m. in the Western gymnasium.

Are those two western players local Anaheim residents?

https://ocsportszone.com/oc-sports-zone ... gning-day/

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:36 am

This article in Saturday's LA TIMES could go into many a thread here, I'll stick it here in OC Signings as the focus is just that and its an OC player.....

Kudos to a dad whom was not just candid here but insightful as to what HSF has become and how it may need to change for the better. You have to believe some of Bryce's successes are a reflection of his parents.

Column: Bryce Young and his father talk about the perils of early recruiting
https://www.latimes.com/sports/highscho ... ng-process

90-5.jpeg

By ERIC SONDHEIMER COLUMNIST
JAN. 11, 2020 10:29 AM

Whether it was the tasty beef dip sandwich he was eating for lunch at Philippe the Original or the promise that his thoughts on recruiting would be revealed after his son graduated from high school, Craig Young was willing to offer a no-holds-barred opinion on the college recruiting process based on the experience with his son, All-American quarterback Bryce Young.

The interview took place last August, and the commitment to not publish his comments until after his son had moved on from Santa Ana Mater Dei was made so there would be no recriminations. That happened on Jan. 7, when Bryce enrolled at Alabama for his freshman year.

Specifically, Craig raised concerns about the possible negative effects on teenagers receiving college scholarship offers as freshmen or earlier.

“Honestly, my opinion on recruiting is that early recruiting is the biggest amount of scrutiny and attention given to these young athletes at an age in which they are not developed mentally, physically, socially,” said Craig, who is a mental health professional. “It’s causing a significant amount of damage to the young men.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:00 pm

#HardWorkPays

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:22 pm

wow, what a great offer for the kid. At this point, he didn't really have any offers?

Free education but probably won't play much?

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:30 pm

Chip Kelley was all over CDM past season, pushed hard for Humphreys, Redman, Garbers..., had Bradley on his radar. This will be a "PWO"..., Brad wanted to play for real.., he is willing to take a chance on himself. Everything he has exhibited to date tells me he will succeed. :thumbsup:

Around the digs we call him the "OC Edelman", I've stated more than once, with all the talent on the CDM "O" 2019, he was my MVP. #MrClutch. Again the numbers, record, records, stats and rings don't lie..., one of the best Orange County offensive units to step on the gridiron. Thats 4 PAC12 seniors, 2 Washington, 1 Stanford and 1 UCLA. =D>

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:42 pm

oh its a PWO?

What offers did he have? Just curious.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57 pm

SK80 wrote:one of the best Orange County offensive units to step on the gridiron
A matter of opinion. Since they played such a weak schedule we'll never really know how good they were.

Looking at the facts: Out of the top 20 teams in CA, Calpreps ranked their SOS 18th. They didn't play one team ranked in the top 100 nationally.

Once again those are FACTS, not my opinion.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

TomDrake

Post by TomDrake » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:15 am

CDM had the most dynamic offense in OC. Would they lose to MD/Bosco? yes. Would they score on MD/Bosco? yes. Humphreys is the best WR in OC, maybe the best ever (a good argument could be made for quite a few guys). He will be a first or second round draft pick one day. I'll re-post this when it happens.

BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:52 pm

Can I have what you’re smoking? :cheers:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:00 pm

TomDrake wrote:CDM had the most dynamic offense in OC.
MD had the best O, period. Not even debatable.
TomDrake wrote:Humphreys is the best WR in OC
I think you're on firmer ground here
TomDrake wrote:maybe the best ever (a good argument could be made for quite a few guys)
Sorry, but no way. He's obviously very good and possibly all-time Top 10, but you're right about how many great receivers we're talking about...my childhood idol Isaac Curtis for one
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:00 pm
you're right about how many great receivers we're talking about...my childhood idol Isaac Curtis for one
Except that Isaac Curtis was a tailback in high school.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:38 pm

MDDad wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:17 pm
Except that Isaac Curtis was a tailback in high school.
Go easy dad old man Bongo having a bad week..... #-o

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:34 pm

Trying to talk football here but all you wanna do is keep beating that drum.

I musta really hurt your feelings, sorry...
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:38 pm

MDDad wrote:Except that Isaac Curtis was a tailback in high school.
I was too young to know what his designated position was, thanks gramps.

Did see him catch more than a few passes, tho
George Will

Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40 pm

TomDrake wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:15 am
Would they score on MD/Bosco? yes
Probably. But against the teams they played, Garber had all day to throw the ball. We'll never know.
TomDrake wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:15 am
Humphreys is the best WR in OC, maybe the best ever
He's the third best WR in the last three years, maybe fourth. Best ever? Not a chance.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Dug this up just for kicks...

THE BEST EVER : Choosing Greatest County Football Players Isn’t Easy
By MARTIN HENDERSON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
NOV. 26, 1996

Santa Ana Valley running back Myron White or Edison’s Kerwin Bell?

Mater Dei quarterback John Huarte or El Toro’s Bret Johnson?

Fullerton lineman Keith Van Horne or Esperanza’s Brendan Stai?

Western kicker David Bell or Pacifica’s Norm Johnson?

Wide Receiver/Ken Margerum
Fountain Valley, 1976
Margerum (6-0, 176), now the receivers coach at Hawaii, caught everything in sight and made it look effortless. He was quick, with deceptive speed (he went to the state finals in the high hurdles), and made acrobatic catches routinely. Margerum attended Stanford, where he was a two-time All-American. In the NFL from 1981 to 1987, he was a member of the Chicago team that won Super Bowl XX.

Wide Receiver/Scott Miller
El Toro, 1986
Miller (5-11, 180) was a physical receiver with good speed who had great hands and always found a way to get open. The perfect complement to scrambling quarterback Bret Johnson, who passed for 2,458 yards, Miller caught 63 passes for 1,020 yards and 13 touchdowns his senior season. He went to Saddleback College, then UCLA, and now the Miami Dolphins.

Tight End/Tony Gonzalez
Huntington Beach, 1993
Gonzalez (6-6, 225) combined size and athleticism and turned a good team into a great one, helping the Oilers reach a Southern Section title game for the first time since 1935. A two-time all-county player, he led the team in receptions (63), touchdowns (14) and tackles (131, despite being double teamed at linebacker) his senior season. As fast as any defensive back and as physical as a linebacker, he could dominate a secondary. The section player of the year, Gonzalez attends California, where he also plays basketball.

More on all the other positions:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
George Will

Donald Trump

TomDrake

Post by TomDrake » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:20 pm

joefutbol wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40 pm
He's the third best WR in the last three years, maybe fourth. Best ever? Not a chance.
A great debate for sure. If he would've gone to MD, perhaps more people would agree with me.

I don't know or care about all of the stats. I've watched OC football for a long time. He's the best WR I've seen.