2020 Football Schedules

BoscoBrave

Re: 2020 Football Schedules

Post by BoscoBrave » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 pm

Absolutely it does. BOSCO started winning the battle over the kids that would have normally gone to LB Poly, and the Moore League stopped their open enrollment policy which eliminated Long Beach kids from going to whatever school they wanted to in the district.

credofriar

Post by credofriar » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:34 pm

Daforno wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:38 pm
Just asking as it is a very curious coincidence that Bosco has gone from a doormat in the trinity League to an elite National High School program, while basically ( right down 5 miles Bellflower Blvd ) sits Poly an average D1 program, just asking?
Very little, coaching in HS matters.
Negro won within 2-3 years of being there. Mendoza was NOT a good coach. Bosco has been a goldmine in waiting for a long time. Kiki held that program back for years.
Poly if they still had Raul Lara would be competing for championships.
When Lara was their they both were still good. In 2012 they had an epic battle in the semi's. Poly won the game and won CIF. They then hired Antonio Pierce who was there 2 days a week since he worked for ESPN in Bristol. They then hired this goofy looking white dude who has no respect from his players or coaches. Lost the entire defensive staff and OC from last year. Nobody wants to be there anymore. If Raul Lara was still there...… its a different deal.

bodhi

Post by bodhi » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:33 am

Bosco always had talent as soon as the 105 opened up. Kiki had multiple kids go to D1 including QB's Cowan and Price. Kiki last year had 6 players go D1 and 2 in the NFL or CFl and went 3-7 and lost to Mater Dei by 50. Ask Rollinson and any other Trinity League coaches, when Kiki was fired they were all upset and worried about Bosco becoming what they are now.

Bosco isn't LB Poly kids, Poly just isn't getting kids who live outside the district like they use to. Why would you go to Poly? To play for Barbie? The guy wasn't asked back at the school he came from in OC and this is the guy you think would bring Poly back? Poly will be irrelevant until they get a good coach in there and change the culture.

Bigbear

Post by Bigbear » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:31 pm

bodhi wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:33 am
Bosco always had talent as soon as the 105 opened up. Kiki had multiple kids go to D1 including QB's Cowan and Price. Kiki last year had 6 players go D1 and 2 in the NFL or CFl and went 3-7 and lost to Mater Dei by 50. Ask Rollinson and any other Trinity League coaches, when Kiki was fired they were all upset and worried about Bosco becoming what they are now.
I’ve always thought the same thing about Bosco, going back to the inception of the Serra league (now Trinity). They always seemed to have tremendous talent and were big in the trenches, but greatly underperformed year after year. There was definitely something noticeable in 2010 when Negro took the helm.

HonorGloryLove

Post by HonorGloryLove » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:56 am

Re: Daforno's musing about Bosco and Poly, I have wondered about this myself many times, and I certainly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I believe the quality of the programs, and not just the athletic ability, is what makes top teams great.

Sure, athleticism plays a big part, but motivation and great preparation (including the hard work of having back ups ready) are the fundamentals. A lot of work and time are necessary to produce that kind of performance. But it's not the work and time put in that make these coaches and programs great in my eyes—please see the end of this post for that.

One thing athleticism, particularly speed, can do is to reduce the penalty a team pays for mistakes, like being out of position, missing tackles, etc., but this doesn't help so much when playing a top quality team that is also fast, and plays better football. I think this often accounts for a seemingly invincible nationally ranked team losing a big game.

Because I follow MD, I immediately think of the IMG game a couple years ago. I sat on the IMG side and those IMG fans were stunned. What would seem impossible on paper was happening right before their eyes. I am sure Bosco, DLS and Servite have also played games like this.

Programs like Bosco, MD and Servite (just wait, they'll be right up there again-TT's a great coach) require a lot of work for players too, and a lot of time. At any of these schools, it's a wonder these kids can study during football season, but they make it happen. I'll say this: having 4 years of that kind of stress will surely make college easier because the kid's used to managing his time and pushing himself when he's dog tired.

It's a burden not every kid will accept, and it mirrors the burden these coaches accept.

Mind you, I'm not disparaging any kid or coach who does not want to carry that load. It's something the individual must want badly enough to suffer the pain. There are other things in life that are also important, and any individual who places balance ahead of a singular goal deserves our admiration too.

We Americans are terribly competitive, and sometimes we lose perspective because of that. I marvel at how the coaches I mentioned, and I will certainly put Bob Ladouceur in the group, always seem to, despite their competitive nature, maintain awareness of what's really important.

I watch these men when they meet on the field after a game. There's lots of love for each other with smiles all around. I am often deeply moved when I see them together, as I consider how rare that attitude is. I want to be like them, and I thank all of them for their inspiration.

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:49 am

Honorglorylove
I could have said it better myself.

hocyouthguy

Post by hocyouthguy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 am

Hear, hear! All true, and the naysayers know what they can do with it!
HonorGloryLove wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:56 am
Re: Daforno's musing about Bosco and Poly, I have wondered about this myself many times, and I certainly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I believe the quality of the programs, and not just the athletic ability, is what makes top teams great.

Sure, athleticism plays a big part, but motivation and great preparation (including the hard work of having back ups ready) are the fundamentals. A lot of work and time are necessary to produce that kind of performance. But it's not the work and time put in that make these coaches and programs great in my eyes—please see the end of this post for that.

One thing athleticism, particularly speed, can do is to reduce the penalty a team pays for mistakes, like being out of position, missing tackles, etc., but this doesn't help so much when playing a top quality team that is also fast, and plays better football. I think this often accounts for a seemingly invincible nationally ranked team losing a big game.

Because I follow MD, I immediately think of the IMG game a couple years ago. I sat on the IMG side and those IMG fans were stunned. What would seem impossible on paper was happening right before their eyes. I am sure Bosco, DLS and Servite have also played games like this.

Programs like Bosco, MD and Servite (just wait, they'll be right up there again-TT's a great coach) require a lot of work for players too, and a lot of time. At any of these schools, it's a wonder these kids can study during football season, but they make it happen. I'll say this: having 4 years of that kind of stress will surely make college easier because the kid's used to managing his time and pushing himself when he's dog tired.

It's a burden not every kid will accept, and it mirrors the burden these coaches accept.

Mind you, I'm not disparaging any kid or coach who does not want to carry that load. It's something the individual must want badly enough to suffer the pain. There are other things in life that are also important, and any individual who places balance ahead of a singular goal deserves our admiration too.

We Americans are terribly competitive, and sometimes we lose perspective because of that. I marvel at how the coaches I mentioned, and I will certainly put Bob Ladouceur in the group, always seem to, despite their competitive nature, maintain awareness of what's really important.

I watch these men when they meet on the field after a game. There's lots of love for each other with smiles all around. I am often deeply moved when I see them together, as I consider how rare that attitude is. I want to be like them, and I thank all of them for their inspiration.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:29 pm

Just in case anybody's interested:

Concord De La Salle's 2020 schedule:

Aug. 29: at North Shore (Houston)
Sept. 4: vs. Elk Grove
Sept. 11: at Saint Francis (Mountain View)
Sept. 18: vs. Cathedral Catholic (San Diego)
Sept. 25: vs. St. Mary's (Stockton)
Oct. 9: vs. Folsom
Oct. 16: at California (San Ramon)
Oct. 23: vs. San Ramon Valley (Danville)
Oct. 30: vs. Amador Valley (Pleasanton)
Nov. 6: at Clayton Valley Charter (Concord)
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:44 am

Thanks but I will go on record for being not interested. Now playoff time than I'm interested.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:36 pm

You're welcome...admittedly scraping for HSFB news in this dead period...the game @ North Shore (TX #1/Nat'l #4) is an interesting matchup IMO
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:51 pm

Does anyone know what MD schedule is for next season? I know Cen10 also heard a rumor about Sierra Canyon but not much else

SondyBurner

Post by SondyBurner » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:05 pm

A couple Orange County schools have agreed to play Loyola next season.

San Clemente will host Loyola on October 2nd.

One week earlier, La Habra will travel to Downtown LA to play the Cubs on September 25th.

Loyola was loaded with Sophomores and Juniors in 2019. Those guys have a major chip on their collective shoulders heading into the 2020 season. It will be interesting to see how this year unfolds for the Cubs.

2020 LOYOLA FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
@Serra (Gardena)
@St.Bernard
@Culver City
Cathedral (Los Angeles)
Crenshaw
La Habra
@San Clemente
St. Francis (La Canada)
@St. Paul
Crespi

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 pm

I like the matchup with re-tooled St. Bernard, should be an interesting test for the new (and improved?) Vikings' staff and players

(PS Loyola High isn't really "downtown" LA, but I guess it's close enough if you're driving from La Habra :D )
George Will

Donald Trump

frankieboy

Post by frankieboy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:02 am

JSerra schedule:

August 21 vs. Sierra Canyon - 7pm
August 28 @ Chandler (AZ) - 7:30pm
September 4 vs. Saguaro (Honor Bowl @ Cathedral Catholic) - 4pm
September 11 vs. Centennial - 7pm
September 18 vs. Clearwater Academy (Trinity League Showcase @ SJB) - TBD

September 25 - BYE

October 2 vs. Mater Dei - 7pm
October 9 @ Santa Margarita - 7pm
October 16 @ St. John Bosco - 7pm
October 23 vs. Servite - 7pm
October 30 vs. OLu - 7pm

Wow. In a year where they may have scheduled a little lighter-it sure looks like they aren't. Arizona Open Division champion plus runner up, an an up-and-comer (Sierra Canyon) and Corona Centennial, who beat them 56-0 last year.

SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:13 am

Jserra is playing Orem out of Utah not Clearwater Academy

frankieboy

Post by frankieboy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:48 am

then that schedule is a little more beastly...2019 Utah State 5A champion.

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm

wheres the Bosco schedule? Who are they playing in the Trinity Showcase? Who is MD playing?

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 am

Kuppster wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm
wheres the Bosco schedule? Who are they playing in the Trinity Showcase? Who is MD playing?
Apparently they don’t have opponents lined up for the Trinity vs USA games due to various circumstances. This is information I read on another forum so I don’t know the validity. But it seems clear that both Bosco and MD are trying to fill out their schedule otherwise they would have been made public already.

SondyBurner

Post by SondyBurner » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 pm
(PS Loyola High isn't really "downtown" LA, but I guess it's close enough if you're driving from La Habra )

You’re correct. Loyola is not physically entrenched within Downtown LA’s mammoth skyscrapers. Just a mile and change from Staples Center and LA Live, though.
ADC76709-1B79-43C5-85F0-48E90373FE81.jpeg
Looks pretty darn close to Downtown LA, though! :D

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:21 pm

Wow, nice photo...

Sorry to be a stickler...I worked in the Garment (now "Fashion") District for 5 years and lived about a mile away from LHS...there's downtown and there's downtown :lol:
George Will

Donald Trump