Notre Dame 31 Servite 24

edac25

Notre Dame 31 Servite 24

Post by edac25 »

I have only one comment. Servite's defensive performance tonight was the worst I've seen since Thomas has been our Head Coach and perhaps one of the worst I've ever seen from a Friar Defense, especially taking into consideration the opponent. This team better make adjustments on this side of the ball or next week a MUCH better QB with better WR's, a better OL and better RB's will exceed the 600 yards of total offense Notre Dame put up tonight. No way we should lose to that team we lost to tonight...no way.

Better take a good luck in the mirror Servite. Next week it's for real.
Notorious

Re: Notre Dame 31 Servite 24

Post by Notorious »

Not to take away anything from your comment, but I thought their QB was pretty phenomenal.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
edac25

Post by edac25 »

Notorious wrote:Not to take away anything from your comment, but I thought their QB was pretty phenomenal.
Phenomenal?!?! Are you kidding me? A good high school QB that can make the open throw and has good legs yes, but not a great QB. Our defense made him look all-world though, so I guess he did look phenomenal tonight.

Point is Servite is not going anywhere playing that kind of defense. Adjustments need to be made or this team will be lucky to get a wild-card berth into the playoffs...they're not playing in the South Coast or the Moore.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

edac25 wrote:Phenomenal?!?! Are you kidding me? A good high school QB that can make the open throw and has good legs yes, but not a great QB. Our defense made him look all-world though, so I guess he did look phenomenal tonight.

Point is Servite is not going anywhere playing that kind of defense. Adjustments need to be made or this team will be lucky to get a wild-card berth into the playoffs...they're not playing in the South Coast or the Moore.
Let me rephrase that, I thought he was pretty phenomenal as a HS QB, would I take him at the next level over Barkley? No, but at the HS level he's a pretty good athlete at QB. Kinda reminds me of a poor man's version of Garrett Green. I'm not saying your defense didn't make him look good, I just thought he was great tonight. I think Servite will be fine, and even tonight's performance hasn't phased me that they'll be in the playoffs easy.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
SOCTE

Post by SOCTE »

edac25 wrote:What a great night! FU SC Fans…FU! Another choke job! Another year where you were HUGE favorites to win the National Championship and you choke AGAIN! Goodbye National Championship! Goodbye Heisman Trophy Sanchez! FU Pete Carroll! Ha! Ha! Ha! \:D/

Honestly people, has there EVER been a program that has choked away so many National Titles by losing to 30 point underdogs? Oregon State...Stanford...UCLA...unbelievable!

Wiley - Howz this one taste compared to the other choke jobs?
sgthartman wrote:ohhhh.....i have to cringe every time something like this USC loss happens. it brings out the 'worst' in edac. karma is a b!tch edac. hopefully the bad kind doesn't curse our Friars.
****!!!
Last edited by SOCTE on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
flagrantlyfoul

Post by flagrantlyfoul »

where do i begin? servite's d-line had size over ND OL, but got next to no upfield push or pass rush (i think they may have had two outright QB sacks) - the announcements "tackle by gaston/greco/romero" were not heard much at all; servite had size advantage on OL as well, but couldn't contain the ND pass rush (even when three men rushed in last minute drive) or open up the inside running game; offensive scheme consisted of two yard pass right, two yard pass left, two yard pass left, punt (until late in the 4th when fajardo was able to showcase his ad-lib playmaking skills (albeit briefly) - (thomas'?) conservative play-calling was dreadful; servite secondary coverage gave a 5-7 yard cushion and NEVER pressed the ND wrs at the point of attack - not once did i see a receiver bumped or otherwise slowed down at the LOS. this led to numerous passes underneath the coverage and allowed the ND qb a quick release that negated any type of servite pass rush that may have materialized. the combination of the above added up to a lackluster performance that resulted in the loss. edac is correct...get this type of effort out of your system like **** through a goose, or barkely and co. will eat your lunch.

that being said....GO SOONERS!!!
"A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive." - Christian Szell
edac25

Post by edac25 »

flagrantlyfoul wrote:where do i begin? servite's d-line had size over ND OL, but got next to no upfield push or pass rush (i think they may have had two outright QB sacks) - the announcements "tackle by gaston/greco/romero" were not heard much at all; servite had size advantage on OL as well, but couldn't contain the ND pass rush (even when three men rushed in last minute drive) or open up the inside running game; offensive scheme consisted of two yard pass right, two yard pass left, two yard pass left, punt (until late in the 4th when fajardo was able to showcase his ad-lib playmaking skills (albeit briefly) - (thomas'?) conservative play-calling was dreadful; servite secondary coverage gave a 5-7 yard cushion and NEVER pressed the ND wrs at the point of attack - not once did i see a receiver bumped or otherwise slowed down at the LOS. this led to numerous passes underneath the coverage and allowed the ND qb a quick release that negated any type of servite pass rush that may have materialized. the combination of the above added up to a lackluster performance that resulted in the loss. edac is correct...get this type of effort out of your system like **** through a goose, or barkely and co. will eat your lunch.

that being said....GO SOONERS!!!
I'm ok with the conservative play-calling on offense. Don't show your cards. Keep them for next week. I would have been ok if we ran the dive to Portis all night. Glad we didn't give anything of value to the Trinity coaches in the stands tonight.

Defensively however, you'd like to think you would make a better effort even playing a base package (which was the case most of the night). The fact that we gave up 420 passing yards to an average passer with average wideouts, scares the **** out of me.
SOCTE

Post by SOCTE »

edac25 wrote:Wiley - Howz this one taste compared to the other choke jobs?
Last edited by SOCTE on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
flagrantlyfoul

Post by flagrantlyfoul »

edac25 wrote:I'm ok with the conservative play-calling on offense. Don't show your cards. Keep them for next week. I would have been ok if we ran the dive to Portis all night. Glad we didn't give anything of value to the Trinity coaches in the stands tonight.

Defensively however, you'd like to think you would make a better effort even playing a base package (which was the case most of the night). The fact that we gave up 420 passing yards to an average passer with average wideouts, scares the **** out of me.
i get it that thomas, et al may have chosen to play this one close to the vest. what doesn't bode well are the friggin penalties and the fact that servite made no effort to respond to the ND offense which called what seemed like 10 in a row of the same 8 yard pass plays. the wr took what was given and simply received no punishment for his effort. no big hits, missed tackles. the talk in the stands was along the lines of "if this kid can do this against us, what will barkley and blackwell do?" i hope they take the restraints off of fajardo. that kid has the look of dynamic qb and will make a world of difference when combined with what portis typically produces.
"A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive." - Christian Szell
americanhero

Post by americanhero »

I cant help but think that this confirms that unless the circumstances are extremely unique, the Pac-5 wild card will be coming from the Serra League.
ventura

Post by ventura »

Edac - posts like your first last night on this game on an unfortunate blemish on the overall class of the Servite group. No props for the opponent, actually quite the opposite. Just complaints about how crappy the play or the game plan for the Friars was. IMO, you should cool down before you post tantrums like you did last night.

I am very surprised about last night's outcome, and would liked to have seen the game. I thought Servite would be ready for ND's passing attack after playing Crespi and Edison, and that they would dominate the Knights on the defensive side of the ball, with size, strength and quickness. I'm also surprised that Serra got the best of Trinity in preseason.

ND looks like the favorite to take Serra, unless last night was fluky. They appear to be improving with every game since I saw them play Moorpark in a game they were fortunate to win. My 38-17 Servite win prediction was a bit off!

Ventura
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

ventura wrote:Edac - posts like your first last night on this game on an unfortunate blemish on the overall class of the Servite group. No props for the opponent, actually quite the opposite. Just complaints about how crappy the play or the game plan for the Friars was. IMO, you should cool down before you post tantrums like you did last night.

I am very surprised about last night's outcome, and would liked to have seen the game. I thought Servite would be ready for ND's passing attack after playing Crespi and Edison, and that they would dominate the Knights on the defensive side of the ball, with size, strength and quickness. I'm also surprised that Serra got the best of Trinity in preseason.

ND looks like the favorite to take Serra, unless last night was fluky. They appear to be improving with every game since I saw them play Moorpark in a game they were fortunate to win. My 38-17 Servite win prediction was a bit off!

Ventura
Are you just realizing that Edac is a blemish on Servite? He continues to embarass the school. No Class at all just anger. Tough loss for the Friars. Adjust move on. Next week league.

Kicks
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
Monarch March

Post by Monarch March »

It was a good game to watch - too bad I had to watch it on a postage stamp size feed that kept freezing - Vootage is weak.

Servite's D was suspect but not horrible and their offense is improving year over year. Servite's secondary let ND out of almost every hole they dug for themselves, I think ND gained 130 yards inside the 50 on the 4th Q drive. Here are some observations/questions:

1. The D-line looked gassed in the 2nd Q (hands on their hips and taking a knee in between plays)? This will not bode well for a well-rested, well-conditioned Monarch offense.
2. Why not run Portis more early on. The drive in the 3rd Q running Portis (at least I think it was Portis) was the most successful offensive series of the game.
objectiv

Post by objectiv »

I guess I don't know what I'm talking about right? Servite got rolled like I said they would. An average QB with average WRs looked like a bunch of all Americans. They had no rush and their DBs were the worst! MD coaches were there and walked out very happy, I guarantee you. Who were some of the kids out there, I hadn't even heard of some of them before? Edac is right, unless this was the world's biggest ropa dope, they're going to get up like a Christmas tree next week and MD is gonna hang half a hundred.
pshaw

Post by pshaw »

As bad as everyone says they played they still had a chance to tie it up at the end until those late penalties cost them. I'm not convinced... Thomas held the offensive reins tight as expected and maybe the players were looking ahead to MD after all. I think next week we'll see a more wide open O from the get-go and the D will bring it with much more passion. Take no solace from this Monarchs, you better bring your "A" game, Servite is certainly capable of ending the streak this year if you don't.
ExRep

Post by ExRep »

kicks2 wrote:

Are you just realizing that Edac is a blemish on Servite? He continues to embarass the school. No Class at all just anger. Tough loss for the Friars. Adjust move on. Next week league.

Kicks

Kicks...

Edac is zealous, I'll admit. And Ventura's comment is right on the mark.

It was a weird night. It was a cold night. It was a disappointing night.

The stadium lights (and all other power to the facility) went dark around 5:45 (?), early dusk. They didn't come back on until around 8:30 (?). The stands were emptied by security around 6:45, with players and coaching staff down on the field in complete darkness. The stadium lights at Pioneer HS, a few blocks away, provided enough illumination for fans to file out more or less safely. I don't think the game got under way until around 9:00. And no...the fans did not riot or turn over the police cars
or tear out the stadium benches. That will happen next week when Servite beats Mater Dei. :wink:

I imagine every Trinity League coach and his staff was there in disguise. Rumor has it Bruce Rollinson was wearing a "bald" wig and a bushy fake beard. This info came from the Spirit Gear station; they swear he bought a Servite hoodie to ward off the cold wind. His mustache gave him away. Later that night, one of the cleanup crew found a hoodie wrapped around a fake beard and and a "bald" wig. It was stuffed into pizza box under the topmost row of benches on the 50 yard mark. Apparently Coach Bruce felt no need to continue the ruse at some point in the game. I wonder if he and the others came away with any insights on how to handle the Friars in the coming weeks.

I don't know a lot about the X's and O's of High School football, as my fellow Friar supporter and mentor "TheTruth" is fond of reminding me. I resolved last night to finally educate myself on the more subtle nuances of two of the more often called penalties last night: pass interference and holding. The ref's were coldly efficient. A 17th century dandy has nothing on those guys when it comes to handling a hanky. A good number of drives were killed by big penalties for both teams, but more so for the Friars. I'm not complaining...the refs were on the field and I was in the stands, so you got to give them the benefit of the doubt. The other thing I noticed is that all but one were really skinny. That's a change of scenery.

I don't think I am giving anything away when I reveal that Notre dame's passing game put the Friars away. Most of those completed passes, particularly to the sides, were caught with a Servite defender no closer than 10 to 15 yards. Someone will count them in the coming hours, but I'll hazard a guess and say there were around 25 to 30 virtually unopposed. As to the Notre Dame running game, I think our defensive line largely shut it down...except for that damn quarterback keep play they kept pulling out of the hat. How many yards did #10 put on the stats last night with that play?

I woke up this morning wondering if Servite's strategy last night deliberately avoided revealing any offensive plans for league play. I decided that "Yes!...that's it!!"

Hope you enjoyed the Pizza, Coach Rollinson. My slice gave me indigestion.

Where do I find the rulebook for High School Football?? Help me out Truth.

Ex
"H'aint we got all the fools in town on our side? That's a big enough majority in any town."......Sen. Ted Cruz
Monarch March

Post by Monarch March »

As an observer without a stake in the game - I would say that ND was penalized double what Servite was penalized - difference is they made huge plays to get out of the hole - courtesy of the Servite secondary. Does anyone have the penalty stats?
Red

Post by Red »

ExRep wrote:
Kicks...

Edac is zealous, I'll admit. And Ventura's comment is right on the mark.

It was a weird night. It was a cold night. It was a disappointing night.

The stadium lights (and all other power to the facility) went dark around 5:45 (?), early dusk. They didn't come back on until around 8:30 (?). The stands were emptied by security around 6:45, with players and coaching staff down on the field in complete darkness. The stadium lights at Pioneer HS, a few blocks away, provided enough illumination for fans to file out more or less safely. I don't think the game got under way until around 9:00. And no...the fans did not riot or turn over the police cars
or tear out the stadium benches. That will happen next week when Servite beats Mater Dei. :wink:

I imagine every Trinity League coach and his staff was there in disguise. Rumor has it Bruce Rollinson was wearing a "bald" wig and a bushy fake beard. This info came from the Spirit Gear station; they swear he bought a Servite hoodie to ward off the cold wind. His mustache gave him away. Later that night, one of the cleanup crew found a hoodie wrapped around a fake beard and and a "bald" wig. It was stuffed into pizza box under the topmost row of benches on the 50 yard mark. Apparently Coach Bruce felt no need to continue the ruse at some point in the game. I wonder if he and the others came away with any insights on how to handle the Friars in the coming weeks.

I don't know a lot about the X's and O's of High School football, as my fellow Friar supporter and mentor "TheTruth" is fond of reminding me. I resolved last night to finally educate myself on the more subtle nuances of two of the more often called penalties last night: pass interference and holding. The ref's were coldly efficient. A 17th century dandy has nothing on those guys when it comes to handling a hanky. A good number of drives were killed by big penalties for both teams, but more so for the Friars. I'm not complaining...the refs were on the field and I was in the stands, so you got to give them the benefit of the doubt. The other thing I noticed is that all but one were really skinny. That's a change of scenery.

I don't think I am giving anything away when I reveal that Notre dame's passing game put the Friars away. Most of those completed passes, particularly to the sides, were caught with a Servite defender no closer than 10 to 15 yards. Someone will count them in the coming hours, but I'll hazard a guess and say there were around 25 to 30 virtually unopposed. As to the Notre Dame running game, I think our defensive line largely shut it down...except for that damn quarterback keep play they kept pulling out of the hat. How many yards did #10 put on the stats last night with that play?

I woke up this morning wondering if Servite's strategy last night deliberately avoided revealing any offensive plans for league play. I decided that "Yes!...that's it!!"

Hope you enjoyed the Pizza, Coach Rollinson. My slice gave me indigestion.

Where do I find the rulebook for High School Football?? Help me out Truth.

Ex
I am curious - Servite lost. Why bring Rollo and MD into this? My bet is, Rollo was no where near Cerritos.
ExRep

Post by ExRep »

Red wrote:
I am curious - Servite lost. Why bring Rollo and MD into this? My bet is, Rollo was no where near Cerritos.
Red,

When did you lose your sense of humor?

Rollo sends his lackeys to observe games. And I understand he doesn't like Pizza.

Ex
"H'aint we got all the fools in town on our side? That's a big enough majority in any town."......Sen. Ted Cruz
Red

Post by Red »

ExRep wrote:
Red,

When did you lose your sense of humor?

Rollo sends his lackeys to observe games. And I understand he doesn't like Pizza.

Ex
I was just teasing. "lackeys"? Hummmm. These coaches spend alot of time coaching football and for you to call them lackeys.....Just Kidding! Yes, Vootage sucks!