A world without sports

OutOfState

Re: A world without sports

Post by OutOfState » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:05 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:21 pm
I can't think of a worse idea than for Tokyo to insist on holding the Olympics on schedule in the face of what's happening...incredibly selfish and irresponsible. Luckily, it's increasingly looking like the decision is going to be taken out of their hands
They are just saying this for the optics in order to not create even more media panic now. Deep down not even they can believe this.
Spring sports are long gone.
Summer sports, i.e. MLB and olympics, are on life support.
Fall sports... keeping our fingers crossed!

What the hell are we all going to do if there is no football season? Can we still bash MD and Bosco just to maintain some normalcy around here :lol:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:01 am

Maybe they'll start recruiting elite Madden Online players from the IE.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:16 pm

Denny Hamlin Edges Dale Earnhardt Jr. To Win Virtual Homestead

NASCAR eased off the brake in the real sports world brought to a sudden halt by the coronavirus and introduced the country to iRacing...which was broadcast live on Fox Sports 1 and called by its regular team of Mike Joy and Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon.

It could serve as a petri dish for other sports to try the whole gamer thing. The classic games that were aired across TV over the weekend will get old in a hurry, and networks are desperate for something fresh until sports resume.

https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/id/ ... -homestead

Interesting but there's probably a 12-year-old gamer girl out there who could kick all their butts...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:41 pm

When would be the date of no return for having to cancel the 2020 HSFB season?

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Mid June.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:49 pm

What does that mean, can you explain?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:49 am

I would assume it means that if normal football operations are not up and running by mid June, the season would not happen. Even if we do start then I would guess the season could be delayed.
This is all just speculation as nobody really knows. But sadly we must face the reality that there may not be a season.

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:07 am

Thanks let's hope the oncoming heat lessens the virus.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat May 02, 2020 7:43 pm

YES! :mrgreen:

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Sun May 03, 2020 6:39 am

As long as they give the go ahead by August 1 or so, High School Football will be fine. They did it like that for many years and still do in some states and areas. I suggest, and it's not my original idea, that we start school and football after Labor Day like the old days for at least one year. I personally liked that schedule better anyway.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun May 03, 2020 1:44 pm

Well, if so, you are going to have a month before they even put on pads, plus the
organizational nightmare of the schedule, etc; you are probably looking at the
latter part of September before a game is played - probably could have a 7/8 game
season schedule if worked out right plus a shorten playoff structure. (play at a
empty stadium per Gov. Newsom?)

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Sun May 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Why do you need a month before pads? 3 days conditioning is the norm for fall camp.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun May 03, 2020 10:03 pm

so you are saying the players with no spring/summer organized training will
come back to organized team practices on August 01, have three days of conditioning
and put on the pads?

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Thu May 07, 2020 7:05 am

Most of the kids are working out every day. We normally come off a 3 week break, do 3 days of conditioning, and then put the pads on. That's the normal way of doing things. We have an intra-squad scrimmage the second Saturday, scrimmage the third, and game time on the fourth Saturday.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Thu May 07, 2020 7:06 am

Many teams are having online meetings to discuss schemes and training progress as well.

SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball » Fri May 08, 2020 8:55 am

Heard on a podcast that had Commish Rob Wigod that he doesn't see a cancelled season. Now the season could start in Sept-Oct or even as far back as Jan. Winter/Spring sports would just get pushed back as well.

You have to look at it like this CIF doesn't make money if there is no sports. So they will adjust the schedule as much as needed to get sports in especially football which is a money maker.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Fri May 08, 2020 10:09 am

SoCalFball wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:55 am
Heard on a podcast that had Commish Rob Wigod that he doesn't see a cancelled season. Now the season could start in Sept-Oct or even as far back as Jan. Winter/Spring sports would just get pushed back as well.

You have to look at it like this CIF doesn't make money if there is no sports. So they will adjust the schedule as much as needed to get sports in especially football which is a money maker.
Did Wigod say or give an opinion if teams would play at empty stadiums if that was the
only option to play the season?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri May 08, 2020 4:46 pm

That wouldn't make much sense since the main motivation is likely finding a way to generate revenue...

I've heard talk about limiting seating at the venues themselves (wide spacing, masks) and making the games available on live PPV for those who couldn't get a ticket
George Will

Donald Trump

SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball » Sat May 09, 2020 7:41 am

cruiser wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:09 am
Did Wigod say or give an opinion if teams would play at empty stadiums if that was the
only option to play the season?
He said it wasn’t ideal but if that’s what needs to be done then they would have to move that way.
Personally I’m more confident then ever that there will be a season just not sure when it will actually start lol

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:18 am

In my opinion only!!!!!
I believe orange County is the healthiest it's ever been right now. With all the social distancing and stay at home policies the worst that's out there is allergies. There is a mass hysteria brought on by the media
and everyone is buying into it. I will wait for all the CNN watchers to blast me.