CAPLAY2020

CAPLAY2020

CAPLAY2020

Post by CAPLAY2020 »

Not sure whether anyone has seen this, but considering this group's interest in high school football, I thought I would go ahead and put and link here. Our petition has been mentioned twice in the Orange County Register and once in the Los Angeles Times.

Thanks,

https://www.change.org/caplay2020

It's a petition to allow practice to start. --JQP
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: CAPLAY2020

Post by John Q. Public »

The timing could be better.
10-23 covid spread map.jpg
Don't look at me, I just work here.
CAPLAY2020

Post by CAPLAY2020 »

And do we think that is attributed to athletics? "Medical experts in the college sports world say they have no evidence of on-field transmission of the virus."

https://www.si.com/college/2020/10/19/n ... aily-cover
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Dunno. I'm just saying I wouldn't get my hopes up. Nothing against the petition but at the moment about all it's saying is that a whole lot of people are getting impatient. The powers that be will do what the virologists tell them to, not what fans or players do.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

CAPLAY2020 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:52 am Medical experts in the college sports world say they have no evidence of on-field transmission of the virus
And why do you think that is?
CAPLAY2020

Post by CAPLAY2020 »

There are thirty-five states playing high school sports. That is a good sample size for assessing risk.
CAPLAY2020

Post by CAPLAY2020 »

According to the article, only the center and nose guard spend more than fifteen minutes within six feet of each other during the course of a game (they spend eighteen), with that fifteen minutes within six feet being the measure of high risk contact.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

CAPLAY2020 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:15 am There are thirty-five states playing high school sports. That is a good sample size for assessing risk.
See the above picture.
CAPLAY2020

Post by CAPLAY2020 »

The picture above shows trends among high school students or attributed to participation in athletics? If not, I think you are using the above picture to prove something that it does not prove or even intend to prove.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I didn't mean to get involved in this thread, but like I've said before, thinking you can re-open the economy or schools, or re-start sports, is like thinking you can go on a road trip without first fixing your flat tire. It isn't a good idea and it can only lead to bigger problems.

<re-lurk>
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

CAPLAY2020 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:18 am According to the article, only the center and nose guard spend more than fifteen minutes within six feet of each other during the course of a game (they spend eighteen), with that fifteen minutes within six feet being the measure of high risk contact.
I read that. I thought it was interesting that they discuss how insanely stringent the contact tracing and quarantine rules in college are then state that the reason it's not transferred on the field is because no players are in contact with each other for more than 15 minutes a game. Am I missing something, or is that not some seriously flawed logic?
ventura

Post by ventura »

@CAPLAY - welcome and good luck. This topic has been politicized and science compromised. Good people with good motives are 180 degrees opposed.

Look at what we were told in Feb/Mar. Hang on for a few weeks, we'll get through it. Look at the map John Q posted.

It's a scary virus. Humanity has faced them in the past. The poor and what's left of the middle class are taking the brunt of this; it has always been so. The super rich have gained wealth dramatically through it all. Job loss, economic ruin, suffocating mandates, debilitating depression, suicide, the lot of the poor with COVID. Not to mention how many deaths from the change in hospitals' medical routines with regard to check ups, diagnosis, etc. Don't think the rich are feeling that affect.

An honest assessment of the stats will show that young people are not at risk, so why we are shutting down high schools and high school sports deserves scrutiny from any side you are on.

Science is now a political tool. An honest debate on the anti-abortion pro-abortion would support that. It's ideological, not scientific.

I never underestimate government overreach, so I attach an article. I would like, if anyone looks at it, the reader to not consider the source, just read the piece with an open mind. COVID is a power grab that is meant to change the future.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2020/10/gar ... d-tyranny/

Our governor is drunk with czar-like power. The perfect example of an evil politician.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

ventura wrote:Look at what we were told in Feb/Mar. Hang on for a few weeks, we'll get through it.
Quote?
ventura wrote:An honest assessment of the stats will show that young people are not at risk
Evidence?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

CAPLAY2020 wrote:According to the article, only the center and nose guard spend more than fifteen minutes within six feet of each other during the course of a game (they spend eighteen), with that fifteen minutes within six feet being the measure of high risk contact.
15 minutes? Would you want someone with covid to breathe heavily directly into your face from inches away for even a few seconds?

"High school sports" is pretty ambiguous. The risk for an offensive or defensive lineman is vastly different than that of a centerfielder or a gymnast on a balance beam
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump
jb914

Post by jb914 »

We have a better chance of making 100 free throws at the rigged carnival basketball game than getting out of Gavin Newsom's "tiered" --------- system that has zero basis in science. A system where 100+ people can go into Walmart, but, not to church or a sporting event, etc

Counting cases is meaningless. The PCR testing does not differentiate between someone who has active covid vs. someone who has immunity or has recovered. It only checks yes or no for finding genetic markers of covid in the test. So, someone with huge viral load and someone who has a tiny amount of dead covid and has recovered count the same, positive.

Farr's law states we should use the data on deaths to predict the peak of a pandemic. According to Farr, there is a 21-28 day lag for deaths from peak cases.

Orange County and all of California peaked cases in July and deaths in August. The egg heads don't want to admit that, cuz, if you spent a ---- ton of hours on an algorithm you are not going to admit that some guy in the 1800's did a better job than you did with all your wicked coding/research skillz. You CYA.

Orange county had a 27 day lag and the state had a 21 day lag. Textbook bell curve following Farr's law.

We are entering flu season and should expect a slight uptick, but, overall trends are down and have been for the past 90 days.

cloth masks do not help stopping covid transmission anymore than a soccer net helps at stopping someone from driving golf balls thru the back of the net. The CDC and many others have done peer reviewed studies that show there is no benefit from cloth masks and there could be an increase in infection due to improper use.

N95 masks *can* do a better job, but, only hospitals are wearing those for the most part. The majority of people I've seen do not wear the mask properly and some look like it's never been washed, so, it's like wearing a petri dish of bacteria and virus in front of your nose and mouth every breath.

Life is risky and we should get back to living life, going to school, playing sports, traveling, etc, etc, etc.

Also, studies have shown that people with the most birthdays are more likely to die than those with only a few. These deaths can be caused by respiratory illnesses among other things.

As Dr. Spock said "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or, the one"

Live long, prosper my fellow HSFB followers. :D
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rule violations removed
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

You really think cases of infection are dropping?

US Coronavirus: US Hits Second-Highest Day of New Covid-19 Cases

As the fall surge continues, the United States has reported its second-highest day of new Covid-19 cases, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Saturday Oct. 20 saw 83,718 new cases, just 39 cases shy of the all-time record that was reported Friday.

Health experts have warned that the fall season would bring a resurgence of cases -- and since the US never lowered its daily case baseline enough, they say compounding cases will likely get worse. Already, the national cases total more than 8.5 million and 224,891 people have died, according to JHU.

"We easily will hit six-figure numbers in terms of the number of cases," Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, told CNN Friday night. "And the deaths are going to go up precipitously in the next three to four weeks, following usually new cases by about two to three weeks."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-co ... =Peregrine
George Will

Donald Trump
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

And one more thing...

George Will

Donald Trump
jb914

Post by jb914 »

Omar Bongo wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:45 am You really think cases of infection are dropping?
maybe you should read my post again slowly.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Technically speaking, wouldn't it complicate matters when athletes are taking a PE class but none of the other students are? Just curious.
jb914

Post by jb914 »

from Dan Albano's twitter :Dr. Matthew Zahn of @ochealth: No #COVID19 outbreaks at O.C. schools, outside of Chapman Uni. (driven by social interaction, he said)
Outbreak defined as at least 3 cases within a 2-week period that are epidemiologically linked