Trinity League Football

MDDad

Re: Trinity League Football

Post by MDDad »

RedPillWonderland wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:34 pm Heard today that if things go well on several fronts (vaccinations, low positives, relaxation on gov’t regs and travel to and from Hawaii), Mater Dei v. Honolulu St. Louis HS game will happen THIS fall (was part of the cancellations last season).

Can anyone confirm?
I don't know if people get paid for starting rumors like this, or if they get some kind of sexual thrill out of them, but as usual, this one is absolute bullcrap. Mater Dei hasn't played a team from Hawaii since they traveled to Honolulu to play Iolani in 1991, and they are not playing St. Louis this fall.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Damn already booked a flight.
insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity »

olu is moving on from jason pressley (i think jason is his first name)
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Should have hired Aaron Corp last time around.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

They could have hired Belichick and it wouldn't have mattered. It takes a lot money to compete in football in the Trinity now. Who the hell wants to coach at JSerra, Olu, or SM? The leash is too short.

The goal for those teams should be 7 or 8 wins and a win in the D1 playoffs, or alternatively, a 5-6 win season and a longer run in the D2 playoffs.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

You need to be more than just a good coach with a great game plan in today's high school game. It takes all that and all the people and backing behind the scenes and it doesn't come in one year.
It is a process and few can or are willing to take on such a thankless job.
Daforno

Post by Daforno »

I agree with watcher. A successful Trinity team is a "program" a system.
My neighbor's kid played at MD graduated in 2008, he told me that at that time MD had a committee strictly for football comprised of mostly players dads ( rotated as the players graduated and freshman dads would replace the ones leaving ) and a few long time members. Treasurer, accountant, Leo Bosse.
This committee did everything for Rollo, programs, tickets, advertisings, meals, summer camps, concessions.
Rollo "coached" no easy job, but he was not bogged down with all the "stuff" that is time consuming away from coaching!
I'm sure the elite programs are all doing the same. That's why just bringing a new coach is no easy task in the Trinity, at this point you have the two 800lb. gorillas, and Servite a distant 3rd.
The others for now are just there!.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Perfect post Dafarno, it takes a village.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Daforno wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:41 pm My neighbor's kid played at MD graduated in 2008, he told me that at that time MD had a committee strictly for football comprised of mostly players dads ( rotated as the players graduated and freshman dads would replace the ones leaving ) and a few long time members. Treasurer, accountant, Leo Bosse.
This committee did everything for Rollo, programs, tickets, advertisings, meals, summer camps, concessions.
From having served on that "committee" and worked with many of its members, I can assure you your neighbor is somewhat misinformed. For example, there is no treasurer or accountant on the committee. Financials are the responsibility of the athletic department and the school administration. The person you reference by name is retired and living with his wife outside Washington, DC, near his children and grandchildren. Programs are designed and printed by a third party marketing media company in north Anaheim, not by the committee. Tickets are sold by the athletic department, not by the committee.
Summer camps are organized and run by Coach Rollinson, not the committee. Concessions are selected and managed by the city of Santa Ana, not the committee.

You are correct when you imply that Coach Rollinson does not print the programs, do the bookkeeping, sell game tickets, cook team meals or man the stadium concession booths. However, I doubt any other head coach in the Southern Section does either.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

So what's this "committee" doing...?

<>
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

MDDad
So you are saying Rollo by himself performs almost every function of the football program by himself with no help? I think we understand that he is the man but I think there is plenty of help. Which includes the selling of MD football related products at the games, the feeding of the
players when needed. Hell even I called the last couple weeks and Bruce didn't answer the phone.
There is more to a program than just a head coach, afterall what have you done for the program the last few years? Although I am quite sure I saw Rollo on the chain gang last week.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

joefutbol wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50 am So what's this "committee" doing...?
They do the same things that parent volunteers do at every high school, Joe.

They set up EZ-Ups and provide snacks and water at passing league tournaments.
They help feed the kids two meals a day during Hell Week.
They set up the seating and provide refreshments for varsity and freshman parent information nights, for freshman player orientation, and for the awards ceremonies after the season.
They sell hats, T-shirts and other souvenirs for special events.
They motivate players to sell program ads and Christmas trees to offset their participation fees.
They oversee the freshman players selling game programs and raffle tickets at the Bowl.
They help decorate the stadium with balloons and sponsor banners for varsity home games.
They help organize the football camp, dance camp and BBQ to feed up to 2,000 Marines and their families during our annual Monarchs For Marines service day at Camp Pendleton.

Despite popular opinion, what they don't do is put on black ninja outfits, spread out all over the country, kidnap 5-star players from their bedrooms, leave a million bucks under the welcome mat for their parents, and force those kids to play for us against their will.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

watchersince68 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:11 am MDDad
So you are saying Rollo by himself performs almost every function of the football program by himself with no help? I think we understand that he is the man but I think there is plenty of help. Which includes the selling of MD football related products at the games, the feeding of the
players when needed. Hell even I called the last couple weeks and Bruce didn't answer the phone.
There is more to a program than just a head coach, afterall what have you done for the program the last few years? Although I am quite sure I saw Rollo on the chain gang last week.
Of course that's not what I'm saying. I was correcting Daforno's neighbor's perceptions about what these parent volunteers do. And the selling of MD football merchandise at our home games was discontinued several years ago.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

OK
got it, I certainly hate slighting all the wonderful people that put their time in to make the
Mater Dei program what it is.
yeah I remember the truck problem of all the MD stuff.
Daforno

Post by Daforno »

I think MD DAD misunderstood me regarding the Committee, I have nothing but admiration for the structure and their purpose. It wasn't meant as criticism.
My neighbor was on the committee while his son played on the team. He told me about their role and the tasks he performed, over 4 years.
My point was when the subject of OLU was brought up an the new coach and them rising again.
That's when I mentioned about MD being a "program" not just a football team.
MD football is an operation, matched possibly by Bosco and Corona Centennial, and Concord De La Salle.
OLU bringing in a coach is only a small part compared to "running a program" the excellence enjoyed by the 4 schools I mentioned being programs, of course start with a coach BUT the behind the scenes operations that FREE the coach of all the mundane tasks that the typical coach deals with is essential.
I never suggested they recruited players or did anything sinister, they clear all the clutter! and let the coach do his thing.
Players come and go, but the "system" is what provides 25 years of winning basically all the time.
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

Information from someone close to the OLU situation says that ever since Kunau, OLU is no longer dedicated to winning at all costs. They would like to win but not go through again with what once happened. They will play with what comes to the dance. Those with the reins on funding have voiced they would rather have the money go to the arts. Unless something changes you can expect many years as cellar dwellers.
On a side note some believe that Aaron Corp with his college coaching background would be a good fit if you wanted to spend a few years building a program but the forces to be would like to see a experienced coach at the high school level. My question is what experienced coach is going to take a job the administration doesn't really care about.
TheOldGym

Post by TheOldGym »

As if they’re not providing massive financial assistance to their sports teams/players.

They van pool kids in just like the big boys. The issue is they accept 2-3 star kids, at best, to be coached by 2-3 star coaches, at best.

They shouldn’t be in Trinity if we are being honest.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

So how much does it cost MD/Bosco for 4 and 5 star recruits? Are their player budgets in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands?

Does Olu simply have to open their pocket book like MD did to keep up with Bosco?

Is it worth it? Or does the bottom half of the Trinity just bide their time until MD/Bosco go the IMG route.
broman

Post by broman »

Rod Sherman is returning to Orange Lutheran as its football coach, the school announced Monday, May 10.

Sherman was the Lancers’ offensive coordinator during the school’s rise to power in football during the 1990s and early 2000s, and he also served as athletic director.

“After working through an intensive search process,” the school said in a statement, “Orange Lutheran has the utmost confidence in Coach Sherman’s experience and his passion for leading our program in a way that aligns with and upholds our school’s mission, vision, and important cultural standards.”

Sherman was on the staff for then-coach Jim Kunau when the Lancers advanced to CIF Southern Section lower-division championship games in 1994, ’95, 2000 and 2001, advanced to the Division VI final in 2003 and
and won the Division VI championship in ’04. In 2006, Orange Lutheran won the championship of the Pac-5 Division, the section’s highest division at the time.

Sherman left Orange Lutheran to become the coach at Valor Christian in Colorado. From 2012 through 2017, his teams went 57-11 and won three state championships in the state’s elite Class 5A Division.
https://www.ocregister.com/2021/05/10/r ... ocregister

Can he get the kids to compete against MD, Bosco and a remerging Servite?
frankieboy

Post by frankieboy »

will he have the financial aid funds to compete?