Teams to look out for in 2022?

easycheesy

Teams to look out for in 2022?

Post by easycheesy »

I know it's early but...

Any teams not named SJB or MD?

I hear from the grapevines Corona Centennial has a very young team in 2021 and a lot of them come back. They will be loaded come 2022.
123Trinity

Re: Teams to look out for in 2022?

Post by 123Trinity »

So you're saying a perennial powerhouse may do good next year? lol. They are already near the top in my book.

Think you need to go deeper in the rankings for any surprises next year. I imagine it will be the same squads at the top EXCEPT Servite and MV will fall off in my opinion.
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

That’s really going out on a limb predicting that MD, Bosco, and Centennial will be top teams next year.
You can add Los Alamitos perhaps. Not as good as the 3 above but they are ultra talented at the skill positions.
RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland »

Mater Dei and Bosco’s rosters (take a look at the Trinity Lg thread from August) are built to be so far ahead of everyone else next year (and likely in 2023); the hegemony will continue and likely grow. Will also see an additional influx of talent to each via the usual sources. There’s no end in sight and really no reason to expect that the two of them won’t be national title contenders again in 2022/2023 and continue to dominate. Transfers, middle school stars and holdbacks are watching games like the one next week and will continue to flock to Santa Ana and Bellflower to be a part of those programs whether people like it or not. The most interesting thing to watch with them the next few years is which national opponents will the matchmakers secure them games against (Texas? Florida? Georgia? Ohio?) before playing each other twice per year. So, pretty much the same deal. This year is the best chance in a while to break that up (Servite/Cen10).

Big transfer portal offseason coming (eyes on a group of kids from a team that wears orange and black). I expect to see several transfers into Los Al and Santa Margarita based on the current modus operandi and composition of those staffs. Same with Centennial, who will be a solid #3 in 2022 behind Izzy Carter and Malachi Riley. Mission has a young team that will return a lot but not enough size/speed/talent to compete with the big dogs. Also very interested to see who Servite puts around returners like WR/DB Emmett Mosley, OL/DL Tuna Talavou, LB Gage Burnett, and new QB Andrew Maushart, and whether Troy is truly committed to avoiding the transfer portal after losing all but a handful of the key players from the best Servite team in a decade.
easycheesy

Post by easycheesy »

Los Al so far has not impressed me very much with the 5-4 star players they have on their team.
easycheesy

Post by easycheesy »

What team wears orange and black? Lol
RoadRunner

Post by RoadRunner »

Just goes to show...well nevermind.

To your question: 🍊 HS
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"
TeezerXL

Post by TeezerXL »

Los Al is all hype. For Oklahoma high school, you would expect them to beat SM...
SM has dipped heavy into the transfer game and we will see how good they really are this week against Servite. They had a lot of hype after winning that passing tournament.
insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity »

servite will rout sm... santa margarita has some transfers but none of them really are big time players. outside of hero kanu they dont have much power 5 level talent... maybe niko lopez.
WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

i would love to see Corona Centennial be a National Title contender, so far, they are the only Cali public school that has finished the highest in the national rankings for the past few years, but i doubt that, goes back to my dream or hope, to see a California Public School win a National Title in HS football in my lifetime.
easycheesy

Post by easycheesy »

Heard from the grapevines Cen10 is extremely young this year and with some added transfers they will be a force in a couple of years. The young guys at Cen10 are extremely ambitious to bring them back to the days of smacking MD and SJB around
RedPillWonderland

Centennial will always be good just based on attracting almost all the local talent in a big area that doesn’t go to the Trinity or Mission League private schools - guys like Korey Foreman and Drake Jackson. And attracting additional talent from across the entire Inland Empire and beyond, having long ago set up the whole deal with the easy access apartments across the street from campus for the program to (unofficially) help families of players to establish district residency if they are from out of area.

They’ve got the most Texas-style public school setup of any California public school, with the built in local talent pipeline, huge coaching staff, annual transfers into the program, and typically easy league competition; the only things missing are the fancy stadium, indoor practice facility, and Jerry Jones/Jed Clampett booster club.

Still, Tre Watson, Miles Reed, JJ Taylor, Tanner McKee and Anthony Catalano ain’t walking back through that Husky Kennel door. They better focus on Norco this week or they’ll get beat again - this is the Super Bowl for those Norco kids and coaches.
easycheesy

Post by easycheesy »

As long as Centennial has Matt Logan they're good. Seeing DLS without Terry Eidson felt so weird, I wasn't use to seeing that physical Spartan toughness and discipline
WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

i would like to see Los Al become a national powerhouse again as well, it reminds me, they were ranked number 1 in the nation during the 1990's, forget which year, but lost in the playoffs, i would like to see them make up for that, their QB Malachi Nelson, he looks to be Los Al's best QB they have had in an entire generation, and nice to see a California public school producing an elite QB.

Its fun to speculate and sometimes think "what if", i spoke to another user elsewhere, he feels that CC probably would have finished the season ranked number 1 in the nation in 2015 if Matt Logan had believed in kicking field goals.

But ya, a California Public School, has not won a national title in HS football since the pre-Internet days.
easycheesy

Post by easycheesy »

Los Al has not been too impressive especially with the talent they have. Los Al has three 5 Star kids on their team, more 5s than any Cali team including SJB/MD but after they graduate they're going to return to being middle of the pack. Why? Because these schools like Long Beach Poly, Serra, have "squads". They need these 5-4 star kids but once they're gone the program just regresses. If you take Matt Logan's Cen10 system with any player you get a "dynasty" because of their system and coaching.
RedPillWonderland

Matt Logan has a good coaching staff and he’s an excellent in-game coach but he hasn’t just had any old players - he consistently has had D1 and future NFL talent on his team, high school superstars. Guys like Korey Foreman, Drake Jackson, Tanner McKee, and Javon McKinley didn’t show up at Centennial as chicken nuggets and leave as diamonds due to Matt Logan’s wizardry. JJ Taylor didn’t transfer in from JSerra and transform into a dynamo under Logan’s magical spell. They came in off the top shelf, improved and played like stars, and left as top recruits. Even he would admit that.

Some don’t want to admit it, but a coach is typically only as good as the talent and can only do so much to improve on that. People often credit coaches for “miracle working” with teams that previously underperformed (not Logan obviously). But often there was already talent there that wasn’t being used properly. Maybe the greatest HS coach of all time Bob Ladoceur has given credit to his players for his success, and that’s the guy that wrote the book on team philosophy, playing for each other, and playing as a unit. The last 3-4 seasons for Centennial have shown that they can be humbled at the highest levels regardless of the system and coaching, particularly when the overall talent drops off (especially at QB).
RedPillWonderland

The criticism of Los Al this season and the overall
narrative about their current team as average or underperforming is interesting to me. They are 6-1, and a historically terrible 2nd half against Trinity League Santa Margarita away from being 7-0. They are 11-1 in the 2021 calendar year, and their only loss is to a private school that is probably the best opponent they’ve faced this year. They not only blew out CdM (for the 2nd time in ‘21) and beat Edison (holding 21 point leads twice on Friday) in back to back weeks in league play, but beat a San Diego Lincoln team in non-league that is now 6-1, and arguably the best team in the San Diego Section.

Despite that, because they have a group of transfers from this offseason and haven’t blown everyone out, and because of their 5-star QB and WRs, all the takes from the general SoCal HS football public and the crowd here seem to be that they “aren’t too impressive.” They aren’t even a D1 playoff team, according to some local media.

Things have obviously shifted for public school teams like Los Al that dig into the transfer portal and bring on some key staff hires - the local expectation now is that either they dominate everything or they are a disappointment. I chronicled their offseason additions so I’m probably as culpable for that expectation as anyone here. But it’s still funny that the consensus seems to be that they are an average team just because they aren’t playing at a Trinity Lg level, as we sit here a few weeks from the end of the regular season with them on their way to 9-1 and their second consecutive Sunset Lg title.

Interesting.

The other aspect that I find unique about them is that they’ll almost certainly be better next year than they were at any time in 2021, with Malachi Nelson and most of their core players returning, and more talent likely to check in.
TeezerXL

Post by TeezerXL »

OLU has some young pieces. Maybe they could do something?
RedPillWonderland

Most of OLu’s key players on offense and defense are seniors. They are going to be hit hard by graduation.
easycheesy

Post by easycheesy »

CC (not counting Covid season it was such a weird season lol) was 9-3, 12-1, and 10-2 (both losses to SJB/IMG McKee was injuried so they used a WR to play QB) with tons of guys on their teams not going D-1. When they had the same amount of talent as SJB/MD back in the 2014-17 years they were 4-2 against them both.

It's not like they have a Serra, LBP, Los Al lineup of 5 stars littered all over the place, sometimes its guys like Cortez Hernandez, Sammonte Bonner, Miles Reed, Xaiver Marshall that do the most damage against IMG, SJB, MD. Those guys aren't 5 Stars but it's their system at Centennial that allowed them to succeed.

Basically my point is this Cen10 for being a public school and not loaded to the gills where your 4th strings have D-1 offers is doing pretty freaking good. And Los Al with those 5 Star kids and transfers have not been impressive at all
Last edited by easycheesy on Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.