Fire Coach Thomas

avonbarksdale

Fire Coach Thomas

Post by avonbarksdale »

The guy has had four of the most talented Servite teams in history and he has 0 CIF titles and 0 wins vs Mater Dei.
Those are the two things that I as a fan and an alum want. I have no problems bringing in a carpet bagger if he can deliver these things, but he can't so I suggest we get a Servite Man to do the job. If a Servite man loses (as has happened before), I can live with this. At the very least, I won't have to hear my coach explain how in losing there is no one he would rather lose to than (insert opponent name) in the playoff semifinals.
I don't dislike Coach Thomas personally, I just don't feel he has been able win the most important games.
Did we really sell our souls for a couple of co championships with Top 20 national recruits?
Larry Toner and Rick Garretson are great men and perhaps flawed coaches. I just felt a lot better losing with them, losing with dignity.
Jerk

Re: Fire Coach Thomas

Post by Jerk »

We should dun trash his house like Stefon did.
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIDERS!
ventura

Post by ventura »

avon - I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground

if you fire Troy maybe we can get him back up here, so I'll be ok if Servite and the Servite Nation agrees with you

a shocker tonight, though . . . . a real shocker

Ventura
Marina2008

Post by Marina2008 »

Ya, because you really have known the past four years what it is like to lose. Please
Bent_Ear

Post by Bent_Ear »

Maybe Coach Thomas should fire himself! I found this from a few yars ago. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credo 4 Ever
Registered User Join Date: May 2007

Servite's Head Coach Makes BIG Mistake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy Thomas recently made a mistake that he will not soon forget. He just fired 3 loyal coaches from his staff. He has decided to dismiss Greg Cicero, QB Coach and Co-Offensive Coordinator; Joe Cicero, LB Coach (ask Galippo who was influential in his development and he will tell you, "Joe Cicero"); and lastly, Bob Cicero, WR Coach and Head JV Coach who has been at Servite for 15 years. Apparently Troy wants his own people at Servite with him during his tenure. He has already hired seven new coaches, none of whom are Servite guys. Troy, what are you thinking??? Or are you??? You just handicapped your team this year.... Good luck, because now you will need it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And after the season was over last year, again loyal coaches that the kids have established relationships with are let go. :( O.k., now I can see firing a coach every now and then when necessary. Then a whole new group of "NEW COACHES" are brought in, which quite frankley this group is a joke. I've heard one is a softball coach at some local high school, and the kids laugh when he tries to explain things because he has no idea what he's talking about. Servite players deserve more. Great coaches surround themselves with qualified people. Thomas hired a bunch of yes men, and believe me they to know their days are numbered (Unless , they can keep their opinions to themselves). I feel sorry for the players. The whole thing is a joke!!! ](*,)
Grand Supreme

Post by Grand Supreme »

damm...
MDMom, your argument is incredulous.- alonzomoseley
Iago

Post by Iago »

Thomas has brought nothing to Servite High School that was not there before and is ruining what is left. No victory over Mater Dei, No CIF Championship, No discipline on the team, No discipline among the coaches, No pride in the student body, No great coaches among his staff. Nothing that will last. Oh wait, I forgot, the bag-pipes which came from Crespi. They can lead the way out for the whole lot of them. Just like Mater Dei did to Servite - a clean sweep. Throw the bumbs out before they do more damage. WHAT A JOKE.
ventura

Post by ventura »

Marina2008 wrote:Ya, because you really have known the past four years what it is like to lose. Please

Marina - by this comment, I'd say you probably don't know the history of the Celt/Servite connection. I know WELL what it's like to root for a losing football team. Before Troy Thomas took over, Crespi had gone 1-19. He completely re-energized a flailing program and within two years won a D10 championship. He handed the keys to a Cadillac to Coach Ross, and certainly, Ross knows how to drive it. But there are character issues at Crespi that would not be there if Thomas had remained.

For many years before becoming a head coach, Thomas was a defensive guru. It there is one thing I don't understand, it's that he's switched to running the offense (apparently). What I saw last night on OCVarsity.com was the worst defensive performance ever for a Thomas coached team, but not too far off from what I heard about in the ND game, apparently. MD ran and passed at will! Although I am wondering what's going on, it is really quite funny that people would suggest the Servite HC hasn't presided over a great turnaround since coming to Servite.

Has Servite had injuries on the line? This was not the same team I saw play Crespi, or Edison.

Ventura
Ventura
ventura

Post by ventura »

Iago wrote:Thomas has brought nothing to Servite High School that was not there before and is ruining what is left. No victory over Mater Dei, No CIF Championship, No discipline on the team, No discipline among the coaches, No pride in the student body, No great coaches among his staff. Nothing that will last. Oh wait, I forgot, the bag-pipes which came from Crespi. They can lead the way out for the whole lot of them. Just like Mater Dei did to Servite - a clean sweep. Throw the bumbs out before they do more damage. WHAT A JOKE.

Iago - is this true? I'd be interested in seeing the won/loss record of the Friars for, say, five years prior to his arrival, and the number of league titles and playoff wins, compared to Thomas' tenure. For some reason I was under the impression he took over a struggling program, but I could have been misinformed.

Ventura
Iago

Post by Iago »

ventura wrote:

Iago - is this true? I'd be interested in seeing the won/loss record of the Friars for, say, five years prior to his arrival, and the number of league titles and playoff wins, compared to Thomas' tenure. For some reason I was under the impression he took over a struggling program, but I could have been misinformed.

Ventura

Ventura. I don't have figures, a program might. Prior to Thomas' arrival the team was struggling in the newly reformed Catholic schools league with Toner as coach. Prior to that, and I don't know by how many years, when Servite was in the public school league (read: weak, weak, weak) Toner's teams did win a lot of league championships. So Servite football was winning league championships. Not CIF but league. Losing to Mater Dei every year except for the tied game. Toner's last year was a disaster on the field. Thomas has won or shared league titles. No CIF victory. No Mater Dei victory. What has changed?

Don't get me wrong. Servite is singing a new song. This time bag-pipes lead the tune. Servite accepted that "tradition" from Thomas who came from Crespi Celts which has bag-pipes. He was to restore the tradition that Toner was to restore which was never restored. Both failed. For twenty years there has been failure. Twenty years, twenty years, twenty years, twenty years, twenty years. And that is a long time.
flagrantlyfoul

Post by flagrantlyfoul »

Iago wrote:

Ventura. I don't have figures, a program might. Prior to Thomas' arrival the team was struggling in the newly reformed Catholic schools league with Toner as coach. Prior to that, and I don't know by how many years, when Servite was in the public school league (read: weak, weak, weak) Toner's teams did win a lot of league championships. So Servite football was winning league championships. Not CIF but league. Losing to Mater Dei every year except for the tied game. Toner's last year was a disaster on the field. Thomas has won or shared league titles. No CIF victory. No Mater Dei victory. What has changed?

Don't get me wrong. Servite is singing a new song. This time bag-pipes lead the tune. Servite accepted that "tradition" from Thomas who came from Crespi Celts which has bag-pipes. He was to restore the tradition that Toner was to restore which was never restored. Both failed. For twenty years there has been failure. Twenty years, twenty years, twenty years, twenty years, twenty years. And that is a long time.
What is wrong with starting a new tradition when one is trying to forget the past? Would you rather Thomas had started a tradition wherein the Friars reviewed game film of previous losses to MD prior to each game? The bagpipes lend an air of solemnity to pre-game and give the team something to rally around. Except for the Mater Dei chink in the armor, Thomas has done a commendable job of restoring pride in the Servite football program. Bumps in the road are to be expected in the process - Rome was not built in a day.
"A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive." - Christian Szell
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Iago wrote:Thomas has brought nothing to Servite High School that was not there before and is ruining what is left. No victory over Mater Dei, No CIF Championship, No discipline on the team, No discipline among the coaches, No pride in the student body, No great coaches among his staff. Nothing that will last. Oh wait, I forgot, the bag-pipes which came from Crespi. They can lead the way out for the whole lot of them. Just like Mater Dei did to Servite - a clean sweep. Throw the bumbs out before they do more damage. WHAT A JOKE.
Do you think Garretson and the old coaching staff could have gone 12-3 in the Trinity League in it's first three years?
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

ventura wrote:

Ventura
http://servitehs.org/athletics/football ... rn=8593808

The program wasn't "struggling", there was just a huge drop in talent the last two years Toner was head coach. Those teams were bad.
Iago

Post by Iago »

flagrantlyfoul wrote: What is wrong with starting a new tradition when one is trying to forget the past? Would you rather Thomas had started a tradition wherein the Friars reviewed game film of previous losses to MD prior to each game? The bagpipes lend an air of solemnity to pre-game and give the team something to rally around. Except for the Mater Dei chink in the armor, Thomas has done a commendable job of restoring pride in the Servite football program. Bumps in the road are to be expected in the process - Rome was not built in a day.
Trying to forget the past has created the present. Why not review the game film of the previous losses, there is a lot to learn from twenty years of losses. Don't repeat those mistakes. What has Servite done? Reapeated its mistakes; mental errors and poor discipline, not to mention being out coached. Learn from mistakes but don't repeat them.

The only thing the team, coaches, and fans want to rally around is a victory. I'm wrong, lots of victories. Victories with discipline, victories that bring pride. Victories that bring good players and students to the school. Victory in difficult games not easy ones in a public school league. Victory by discipline and determination and the desire for it.

If you want bag-pipes. Go to Crespi Celts. Bap-pipes lead them to victory. Two victories over the Thomas coahed Friars. Bap-pipes and victory both at Crespi. What does Servite have? Bap-pipes!

Stick 'em!
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

Iago, you really need to get over this Servite bashing right now.

Every team has moments in which they just don't play well, yesterday was apparently one of those days for Servite. A few weeks ago, Mater Dei was playing the exact same way. While it is frustrating and sometimes painful to watch a team play this way you have to realize that it's only natural, especially with a group of highschool kids.

As it has been pointed out numerous times, Thomas took a flailing Servite program and turned it back into a respectable and consistent Orange County powerhouse. Regardless of how you look at it, it's a big success for Servite. Have they won any CIF championships? No, have they beat Mater Dei? No, but when you measure Thomas' success in comparison to his shortcomings, his pros definitely outweigh his cons.

Thomas is a good coach, one that is definitely worthy of representing Servite. He's created a great program that will have a strong tradition of success if he stays. Last night was a bad night for Servite, stop calling for his head.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
fnuts

Post by fnuts »

Good comments, but wow. something was waaayyyy amiss last night with Servite.
Iago

Post by Iago »

joefutbol wrote:
Do you think Garretson and the old coaching staff could have gone 12-3 in the Trinity League in it's first three years?
Garretson and the old staff gave us Mater Dei defeats too. Nothing changed there.
Now, you add 12-3 in the Trinity league. The league makes a huge difference. But it should not. Servite should be competitive and win the league title even if not especially in the Trinity League. No, I don't think Garretson and the old staff would be 12-3 in the Trinity League. However in the old public school leagues, Garretson and the old staff won a lot of league championships. Servite would, in my estimation, have difficulty this year if not in most years with Los Alimitos, Mission Viejo, and Tesoro. Good public schools are no push over. So, let's not think that the Trinity League is hell.
The point is, and let's stick to the point, Servite has not won CIF nor has it beaten Mater Dei. Those are two goals which remain un-met. In fact, with the exception of the missed field goal and the tie game, Servite has been beaten badly for most of those twenty years.
More of the point. Servite is still undisciplined as a team and is out coached. Discipline and good coaching are two goals. Unfulfilled goals
Servite needs to have discipline on its team.
Servite needs to have coaches who know what is going on with the team on the field. God knows it hires coaches, coaches who command fairly high salaries including the salary of adminsitrators (Dean of Discipline), but they too are undisciplined and they are out coached. In some ways, bring back the alumni who coach just for the fun of it. They come cheaply!
Servite needs a CIF championship.
Servite needs to beat Mater Dei.

It's had plenty of time to do that. It has not done it.

Instead Servite created a motto: cREDo. RED scares Servite. RED, RED, RED. TWENTY YEARS OF RED.
So, please explain cREDo
RPW

Post by RPW »

Another 6-7 punches for ole' Tyson, right to the face.
avonbarksdale

Post by avonbarksdale »

Is anyone here suggesting that Servite would not have been a vastly improved team under Coach Toner in Chris Gallipo's junior and DJ Shoemates sophmore season? Ventura, you seem to think that Coach Thomas creates talent. The man that truly engineered the turnaround at Servite is Ryan Khalil's father bc the connections of our most talented players over the past four years were made through him in Corona, CA.
Has the offense looked or played as well since Coach Greg Cicero's departure? I say no, Coach Thomas let his ego get in the way of having a great young coach.
I stand by my statements and will forward them to the administration. I would prefer if Servite and Coach Thomas parted ways. He has brought two great things to Servite, bagpipes and a win over Poly. Not enough, in my book. The "guru" must go and take his swinging gate extra point with him.
RPW

Post by RPW »

avonbarksdale wrote:Is anyone here suggesting that Servite would not have been a vastly improved team under Coach Toner in Chris Gallipo's junior and DJ Shoemates sophmore season? Ventura, you seem to think that Coach Thomas creates talent. The man that truly engineered the turnaround at Servite is Ryan Khalil's father bc the connections of our most talented players over the past four years were made through him in Corona, CA.
Has the offense looked or played as well since Coach Greg Cicero's departure? I say no, Coach Thomas let his ego get in the way of having a great young coach.
I stand by my statements and will forward them to the administration. I would prefer if Servite and Coach Thomas parted ways. He has brought two great things to Servite, bagpipes and a win over Poly. Not enough, in my book. The "guru" must go and take his swinging gate extra point with him.

Please sign your name here so the Servite fans can make sure your "letter" shows up at the school. The game sucked last night and it was terrible. Cicero was the QB coach...not the OC. He assisted Kalil with calling the offense and did great with Klien but until Calhoun got with McEntee..i was not sure if Cicero knew how to throw a ball himself.

You will not forward ****...so stop selling wolf tickets.