CIF Championships...

pattywannamack

CIF Championships...

Post by pattywannamack » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Just out of curiosity I was wondering what the top five was for the schools with the most CIF championships in Orange county.

If anyone had an answer to this I would greatly appreciate it.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

SOCTE

Re: CIF Championships...

Post by SOCTE » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:51 pm

blng_blng, come out, come out, wherever you are???

. . . .

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:35 pm

pattywannamack wrote:Just out of curiosity I was wondering what the top five was for the schools with the most CIF championships in Orange county.

If anyone had an answer to this I would greatly appreciate it.
Football Only (Through 2008)
9 Mater Dei
6 Santa Ana
5 Brea-Olinda
5 Mission Viejo
4 Edison
4 El Toro
4 Irvine
4 Los Alamitos

All Sports (Through Fall, 2008)
81 Corona del Mar
62 Mission Viejo
50 Mater Dei
40 Newport Harbor
39 Santa Margarita
30 Brea-Olinda
30 El Dorado
30 Laguna Beach
29 Woodbridge
26 Laguna Hills

MDD

diablofan

Post by diablofan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:44 pm

So its safe to say Mission Viejo High School is the premier public school for sports in the county? :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:08 pm

MDDad wrote:
Football Only (Through 2008)
9 Mater Dei
6 Santa Ana
5 Brea-Olinda
5 Mission Viejo
4 Edison
4 El Toro
4 Irvine
4 Los Alamitos

All Sports (Through Fall, 2008)
81 Corona del Mar
62 Mission Viejo
50 Mater Dei
40 Newport Harbor
39 Santa Margarita
30 Brea-Olinda
30 El Dorado
30 Laguna Beach
29 Woodbridge
26 Laguna Hills

MDD
Thanks alot MDDad :D
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:27 pm

diablofan wrote:So its safe to say Mission Viejo High School is the premier public school for sports in the county? :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
Uh, no. I think Corona del Mar has them beat by 19 championships.

Mission Viejo's total includes 41 championships in boys and girls swimming. From the mid 70's to the mid 80's the boys teams won 14 consecutive CIF championships and the girls 11. That's a mark that will likely never be approached by any other program, but it was also a direct offshoot of the Mission Viejo Natadores swim club.

MDD

hitters2

Post by hitters2 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:58 pm

La Habra has 4 cif titles :thumbsup:

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:50 am

MDDad wrote:

Mission Viejo's total includes 41 championships in boys and girls swimming. From the mid 70's to the mid 80's the boys teams won 14 consecutive CIF championships and the girls 11. That's a mark that will likely never be approached by any other program, but it was also a direct offshoot of the Mission Viejo Natadores swim club.

MDD
Not to mention that similar numbers (albeit a bit smaller) were being put up by the girls and boys track teams. They had a streak that got snapped a couple years back where the girls track team hadn't lost a dual meet since '78.

Right now I would say that CdM and Dana have the two top programs in Orange County. Dana won the most CIF titles of any school in the state last year (with a couple of state titles to go with it) and CdM keeps finding ways to win even with only 1550 kids.

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Does Mater Dei also hold the title for most amount of Basketball championships?

RoadRunner

Post by RoadRunner » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:47 pm

pattywannamack wrote:Does Mater Dei also hold the title for most amount of Basketball championships?

I think they hold the Title for most amount of CIF Basketball championships they should have won....but lost.... :mex:
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

olddude2

Post by olddude2 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:58 pm

I believe MD has a 19-2 record in CIF championship games. Losses to Poly in mid 80s and to King last year. Not too terrible.

perspixx

Post by perspixx » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:19 pm

pattywannamack wrote:Does Mater Dei also hold the title for most amount of Basketball championships?
They have 19. Long Beach Poly has 18. Santa Clara in Oxnard has 15.

perspixx

Post by perspixx » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:34 pm

Nobody in Orange County even comes close to Mater Dei. By my count, Corona del Mar and Santa Margarita are next with 5 Southern Section titles apiece.

Ocean View, Orange, Tustin, Laguna Beach, Servite, Sonora, El Dorado, Woodbridge, Capo Valley, Los Alamitos and Trabuco Hills each have 2 CIFSS titles. Orange was the first county team to win one, back in 1920.

Kennedy, Whittier Christian, Estancia, Pacifica, Brethren Christian, Mission Viejo and Sunny Hills have all won one each. La Quinta might have won one also, but the list I'm looking at doesn't specify if it's the LQ in Westminster or the one in La Quinta.

EDIT: I've confirmed that it is the La Quinta in Westminster.

The Monarchs also have 7 state titles. Santa Margarita has two. Servite, Woodbridge, Tustin and Orange all have one each; the Panthers' was from 1920 and remained the only one until Mater Dei in 1987.

edac25

Post by edac25 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:45 pm

MDDad wrote:

MDD
Same could be said for everything and anything Mater Dei has ever accomplished on the basketball court. Their success is a "direct offshoot" of McKnight's relationships with the So Cal AAU Program. Unlike MD however, Mission wins when it's supposed to win...McKnight has developed a reputation for underachieving.

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:13 pm

edac25 wrote: Same could be said for everything and anything Mater Dei has ever accomplished on the basketball court. Their success is a "direct offshoot" of McKnight's relationships with the So Cal AAU Program. Unlike MD however, Mission wins when it's supposed to win...McKnight has developed a reputation for underachieving.
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:15 pm

hitters2 wrote:La Habra has 4 cif titles :thumbsup:
That's cool but we are talking about big boy football!

:2cents:

FlowFlow

Post by FlowFlow » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:27 pm

perspixx wrote: Kennedy, Whittier Christian, Estancia, Pacifica, Brethren Christian, Mission Viejo and Sunny Hills have all won one each. La Quinta might have won one also, but the list I'm looking at doesn't specify if it's the LQ in Westminster or the one in La Quinta.

Kennedy has one 2 :thumbsup:

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:35 pm

edac25 wrote: Same could be said for everything and anything Mater Dei has ever accomplished on the basketball court. Their success is a "direct offshoot" of McKnight's relationships with the So Cal AAU Program. Unlike MD however, Mission wins when it's supposed to win...McKnight has developed a reputation for underachieving.
Not really, it's a lot easier to win swimming championships than it is to win basketball championships.

Reason being is that most high school swim teams can only manage to send maybe ten kids at best to compete in CIF. Most of them swim in relays, or have maybe one kid competing in an individual race in which the kid usually places poorly in. Any team that can manage to bring fifteen kids to the meet, and have half of them competing and placing well in individual events can win the meet. When you have a team like the Mission Viejo Natadores feeding kids directly to Mission Viejo High, it's really easy to do that.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:41 pm

The answer to your question is: It depends on the sex.

Boys Basketball
19 Mater Dei
5 Corona del Mar
5 Santa Margarita
2 11 schools

Girls Basketball
16 Brea-Olinda
5 San Clemente
5 Troy
5 Woodbridge
4 Laguna Hills
3 Mater Dei

MDD

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:00 pm

MDDad wrote:
The answer to your question is: It depends on the sex.

Boys Basketball
19 Mater Dei
5 Corona del Mar
5 Santa Margarita
2 11 schools

Girls Basketball
16 Brea-Olinda
5 San Clemente
5 Troy
5 Woodbridge
4 Laguna Hills
3 Mater Dei

MDD
Thanks once again MDDad :notworthy: . I had the boys in mind but I obviously forgot to specify. I knew Brea-Olinda was a great girls basketball team but I didn't realize that they were THAT successful.