Empire League

Seadog

Re: Empire League

Post by Seadog » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 am

Wiley wrote:TT... The boys on the Empire League thread don't take kindly with those from other leagues and teams posting here. Sorry, for permeating the feeling of futility. :mrgreen:
Where the hell did this come from you football throwing drunk
"Todo lo que necesitamos es ganas"
("All we need is the want")
"Stand and Deliver"

Seadog

Post by Seadog » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:05 am

alonzomoseley wrote:TRUTH, you nearly brought a tear to my eye - not because you know the alma mater but because I would venture to say that most of today's players (or even players of the past 10 years or so) wouldn't know it.

BTW - I don't always feel the need to be right. Jiminy Cricket, errr Bick, is here to constantly remind all of us about that.

Also, I agree that this is the best thread on this site because there are some very strong, heartfelt opinions stated here about Empire teams. I just wish we could get some added perspective from folks at Yorba Linda, Valencia (whatever happened to TigerTalker?), and Western.

This week's games are nearly upon us. I know that the AUHSD schools (Cypress, Kennedy, & Western) all have no school on Thursday & Friday. That would be a cause for concern if I was a coach. Are the schools from other districts (Garden Grove, Placentia/Yorba Linda) in the same boat?
:iknow: Anybody can use the copy and paste keys. :2cents:
"Todo lo que necesitamos es ganas"
("All we need is the want")
"Stand and Deliver"

alonzomoseley

Post by alonzomoseley » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:54 am

Final top 3 JV teams from the Empire this year:

Tustin 6-0
Pacifica 5-1
Cypress 4-2

Bodes well for those schools next year as most of those players should be big contributors on Varsity.

alonzomoseley

Post by alonzomoseley » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:58 am

Today's Freshmen games:

Yorba Linda (4-1) at Western (4-1)

Valencia (4-1) at Kennedy (4-1)

Pacifica (0-5) at Cypress (0-5)

Tustin finishes at 2-4.

Winners of the first two games can lay claim to the Freshmen Empire League Championship.

The interesting thing, though, is that YL's only loss is to Valencia, Western's only loss is to Kennedy, Valencia's only loss is to Western, and Kennedy's only loss is to Yorba Linda.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:18 am

Seadog wrote: :iknow: Anybody can use the copy and paste keys. :2cents:
Very true, but do you know the origins of the music from your HS Alma Mater? Unlike most Alma Mater's, the Kennedy Alama Mater has significance beyond just honoring the high school itself. The school has been closely linked to President John F. Kennedy in its naming and traditions starting with the fact that Junior HS students from Walker actually petitioned the school board to change the planned name from Centralia HS to that of John F. Kennedy HS. At the time AUHSD schools were named after streets or elementry school districts. To my knowledge only the former Apollo Junior HS (sold to be torn down and have condos built on the land just off the corner of Ball and Knott) and Kennedy HS fell outside of that policy.

Original High Schools built by the AUHSD:

Anaheim HS
Western HS (initially on the Orangeview campus)
Magnolia HS
Katella HS
Loara HS
Savanna HS
Los Alamitos HS
Cypress HS
Oxford Academy (formerly the site of Oxford Junior HS)

Original Junior HS Built by the AUHSD:

Fremont
Orangeview
Walker
Apollo
Sycamore
South
Crescent
Brookhurst
Pine
Oak
Trident
La Palma
Lexington
Ball
Freemont
Dale

The 16 Junior HS were divided into two sports Divisions which at the end of the season would meet and play for the District Championship.

Boys Sports:

Tackle Football
Basketball
Baseball
Tennis
Track and field

Additional club sports sponsored at a few schools were:

Soccer
Archery
Wrestling

The girls in the early years competed in the Girls Athletic Association (GAA)

Now, google that and cut and paste it tough guy.

Here ends the lesson!

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:28 am

Hard to put much stock into jv results. How many schools actually practice as a separate jv squad? How much does the roster change from week to week? Most schools do not have a separate practice for jv, get little jv time and go to the game with whomever wasn't called up to varsity that week. The game is a reward for all the hard work of being the scout team all week.

At smaller schools it becomes even harder to tell much from jv results. Most small schools have quite a few sophs on varsity who never see any jv time, yet will be key guys for the varsity the next few years.

Jv titles are great for the kids, but really aren't a good indicator of anything. FWIW, we won the jv title last week and the kids loved every minute of the victory!

alonzomoseley

Post by alonzomoseley » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:40 am

TommyTrojan wrote:Hard to put much stock into jv results. How many schools actually practice as a separate jv squad? How much does the roster change from week to week? Most schools do not have a separate practice for jv, get little jv time and go to the game with whomever wasn't called up to varsity that week. The game is a reward for all the hard work of being the scout team all week.

At smaller schools it becomes even harder to tell much from jv results. Most small schools have quite a few sophs on varsity who never see any jv time, yet will be key guys for the varsity the next few years.

Jv titles are great for the kids, but really aren't a good indicator of anything. FWIW, we won the jv title last week and the kids loved every minute of the victory!
Tommy, I agree with everything you state here. At Kennedy, JV is really looked upon as a developmental team and is usually filled with guys who don't get into varsity games.

What's your stance on Freshmen Football?

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:17 am

Seadog wrote:
Where the hell did this come from you football throwing
drunk
Please tell me you just forgot the smiley face?
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

ocexport

Post by ocexport » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:49 am

YLHS freshmen played yesterday and beat Western

mar595

Post by mar595 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:15 am

TommyTrojan wrote:Hard to put much stock into jv results. How many schools actually practice as a separate jv squad? How much does the roster change from week to week? Most schools do not have a separate practice for jv, get little jv time and go to the game with whomever wasn't called up to varsity that week. The game is a reward for all the hard work of being the scout team all week.

At some schools how the JV does tells a lot about the program. Pacifica doesn't do much separation with JV for practice but they do some. For the most part the JV is made up of Sophomores. There are a few Juniors that do not get Varsity play time.

When you look at the Pacifica roster and see all the seniors that will be gone this means a lot as many of these sophmores will have to step on varsity next year. Having a good year in 2010 on JV builds their confidence and shows them that they can compete even though as Freshmen they won few games.

It means a lot more at Pacifica because it shows how the kids are progressing in their football playing abilities/technique. Unlike many other schools, Pacifica really doesn't have a youth football program that feeds the football program. Out of almost 50 freshmen this year 5 had played football before.

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:17 am

alonzomoseley wrote: Tommy, I agree with everything you state here. At Kennedy, JV is really looked upon as a developmental team and is usually filled with guys who don't get into varsity games.

What's your stance on Freshmen Football?
Freshman can be a bit more telling. However you do tend to lose kids from the freshman team for one reason or another, so it isn't an absolute thing. We are kind of like Pacifica, don't have many kids who have ever played football. They tend to start slow, but do well by league.
Some people use freshman football just to introduce kids to the sport and try to keep everyone happy, others go scout and game plan. I would generally say that freshman results are more likely to be an indicator of how a program is going to do down the road.
Problem is that you need a couple of classes to make a real good team. Beckman is a great example. A friend of mine is the head freshman coach. 2 years ago he went 9-1. Last year he went 0-10 and then this year I believe he is 9-0. Based on that first class I thought they might be a pretty good team this year on the varsity (they are average). Looking towards next year what can you expect from the junior and senior classes? Good team? Average? Probably depends on how many kids are still around and how the sop class compliments the seniors.

Still I would rather have a 10-0 freshman team than 0-10!

mar595

Post by mar595 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:56 am

TommyTrojan wrote:
Freshman can be a bit more telling. However you do tend to lose kids from the freshman team for one reason or another, so it isn't an absolute thing. We are kind of like Pacifica, don't have many kids who have ever played football. They tend to start slow, but do well by league.
Some people use freshman football just to introduce kids to the sport and try to keep everyone happy, others go scout and game plan. I would generally say that freshman results are more likely to be an indicator of how a program is going to do down the road.
Problem is that you need a couple of classes to make a real good team. Beckman is a great example. A friend of mine is the head freshman coach. 2 years ago he went 9-1. Last year he went 0-10 and then this year I believe he is 9-0. Based on that first class I thought they might be a pretty good team this year on the varsity (they are average). Looking towards next year what can you expect from the junior and senior classes? Good team? Average? Probably depends on how many kids are still around and how the sop class compliments the seniors.

Still I would rather have a 10-0 freshman team than 0-10!
This is hard to tell as they develop and how a program looks at the freshmen as well. Pacifica leaves the freshmen alone. In 2009 I believe they were 3-7 and this year they are 0-9 going into Cypress game. But you take that 3-7 freshmen team returnees and combine them with a handfull of juniors and the different coaches, and they go 9-1.

There are just too many factors and too many differences between schools to accurately guage the future by freshman and JV results for sure.

On top of all of this, kids develop at different rates. Some kids are studs at 13 and not much improved at 17. Other kids are tentative at 13 and absolute animals at 17.

FBBasics

Post by FBBasics » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:57 pm

The Cypress/Pacifica game was a great game to watch. Real close and a great comeback by Cypress. Do not understand how Pacifica gets inside the 5 yard line almost at will but can not punch it in. Some pretty questionable play calling. Cypress showed some serious heart to hang in there.

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Congrats to Bug Rivera and the Cypress Cents for a winning drive and "iced" FG to beat the Mariners, 10-9 as time expired.
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:03 pm

FBBasics wrote:The Cypress/Pacifica game was a great game to watch. Real close and a great comeback by Cypress. Do not understand how Pacifica gets inside the 5 yard line almost at will but can not punch it in. Some pretty questionable play calling. Cypress showed some serious heart to hang in there.
Pacifica seems to have a chronic problem in the red zone. They marched down the field almost at will several times and ended up with three field goals and one miss. Cypress managed just two drives all game. One for 7 and the other for the winning field goal with 3 seconds remaining. Great job Cypress. You really did the job tonight!

Just another great Empire League matchup.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

bball911

Post by bball911 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:20 pm

did Cypress magically have 4 timeouts in the 2nd half or am I blind?

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:28 pm

bball911 wrote:did Cypress magically have 4 timeouts in the 2nd half or am I blind?
Maybe the Mariners left one in the freezer. :mrgreen:
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

Rays

Post by Rays » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:38 pm

Great game by both sides tonight, as both teams played their hearts out. Congratulations to the Centurions for pulling off yet another come from behind win to beat the M's. The Mariners are definately a scary team heading into the playoffs. Whoever draws them in the first round is in some trouble. Nava can throw the ball pretty well and Johnson is a good, hard-nosed back. Some of the plays from Pacifica's coaching staff were questionable to say the least. They should have put the ball away a couple of times when they were DEEP in the redzone. Also, not really sure why the M's didn't pay any attention to Willis tonight? He is THE best athlete in the league and he may have gotten about 5 touches on offense? If anything they tried to use him as a decoy to open up #20 and #14?

Recap:

I missed the first quarter, but from what I heard, Pacifica came out ready to play. I think they got 2 field goals in the first quarter because when I got there it was 6-0.

I got there at the start of the 2nd Quarter and Cypress did a good job driving down the field. The Cents got a couple of good breaks due to a lack of discipline on Pacifica's part. They had a good mix of the Jumbo Package and the Spread with Austin at the helm. Rivera worked for a couple of tough-nosed runs and then Austin had a 25 yard scamper to put the Cents up 7-6. The Pac ran the clock out and at half the score was 7-6.

The 3rd quarter belonged entirely to the Mariner's. They must have had a 10:00 to 2:00 advantage in time possession. They methodically worked their way down with a couple of clever draws and a lot of short passes to their WR's. #14 has some SPEED. This kid was constantly getting open down the sidelines but the QB was having trouble due to a steady Cypress rush.

The 4th quarter looked to be going the same way as the 3rd before Cypress decided to put it into overdrive. The defense, which has been nails all year, hung in there and stuffed the M's at their own 1. The M's took the ball all the way to their OWN 1 and were sacked and were forced to kick the field goal.

Cypress always catches a break here and there and they were handed a gift when the M's missed a field goal wide right from their own 5. The Mariner's got the ball back but were stopped by Cypress' Tough D. The turning point was the FAKE PUNT late in the 4th, which moved the chains and sparked Cypress game-winning drive. Cypress began to move the ball down the field and slowly but surely turned it into a game. Chris Austin directed a fine 5:00 minute offense, as Coach Feldman led the team down the field with a plethora of run plays. Whenever the game is on the line between Cypress and Pacifica, the Mariner's run D seems to fall asleep and the Centurions will their way past them. It was the same tonight as the Centurions' gritty O-Line moved the M's allowing for Bug to work his magic.

The Centurions got inside the redzone with about 30 ticks left on the clock and slowly milked it all the way down to 3 seconds. Austin went for a QB sneak with about 10 seconds left and the clock ALMOST hit 0. I thought I saw a couple of Mariner's players run on to the field? Coach G iced Eyman twice, but you got to give credit to the kid, hit split it right between the up rights and the party was on.

What we can take from this game:
1. Cypress Defense is tough, no matter what the circumstance is. They are discplined and they play FAST.
2. Cypress Offense can turn the switch on in a heartbeat. Austin may still be a work in progress, but we all like this kid's upside and all believe in him.
3. Cypress Coaching Staff deserves a lot of credit for always keeping their kids in the game. They always preach, "finish, finish, finish," and it paid dividends as the Centurions finish the season as the #2 seed from the Empire League.

P.S. Shout out to the Cypress' O-Line Coach Thomas Blazer, definately got the kids playing hard. =D>

mar595

Post by mar595 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:41 pm

What a terrible way to lose a football game. First and goal from the 3 and cannot score a TD twice in the game. Fastest guy in the empire league in motion, pitch it to him and let someone try to catch him going to the corner. It won't happen, but of course I don't get to call plays. Coach likes to split him wide and try to dive it in. Oh well, at least it makes picking brackets easier. --:--

Tustin(1)
Buena Park

ElDorado
SJHills

ElToro
Foothill

Pacifica
LaHabra (4)

Cypress(3)
Canyon

Villa Park
Sonora/Full

Sonora/Full
Kennedy

Laguna Hills (2)
YL or Valencia

I don't believe that LaHabra is really the 4th best team but feel they will be placed this way because of record. Laguna Hills 9-0 Cypress 8-1 (loss to Tustin) LaHabra 6-3. Maybe not though. We will see as this is all just guessing and speculation. If fullerton wins I believe this is closer to correct. If Sonora wins then this could change a lot as Sonora could get higher consideration due to having a 9-1 record instead of 8-2. :2cents:

spread4

Post by spread4 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:00 pm

First off congrats to both teams, I expected nothing less. Hard fought empire rivalry game. Of course pacifica had their chances but bottom line they didn't get it done. Cypress d stepped up at the goal line when it mattered. Pacifica moved the ball well but simply couldt finish. Pacifica d played great! Allowing a offense like that to 10 pts. Pacifica is definetly a scary team in the playoffs. Cypress deserves a top 4 seed.

Mar595, I look at your bracket, and you have tustin at #1 and cypress at #3 which is reasonable to me. Pacifica lost to both teams by a combined 8 pts!! And you have them at La Habra IMO la habra gets screwed in that case!

Idk if cif looks at scores or not but if you lose to two top 4 by a combined 8 pts I'd say your team is pretty legit