What is up at Aliso?

ocexport

Re: What is up at Aliso?

Post by ocexport » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:34 am

I don't think they have to be at the same school...just within the district.

Born Independent

Post by Born Independent » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:26 am

The latest rumor is that Westling turned the job down over the weekend. Good for him. Who would possibly want that job? Zero talent, an AD that doesn't care and parents that care too much.

DownSouthCoach

Post by DownSouthCoach » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:05 am

What I can't believe is that they are waiting so long to do this next great idea of how to conduct their hiring process. While spring ball is still a ways a way, there is still alot of weight gains, speed gains, and football knowledge that these players are missing out on. So while everyone is arguing over who should or shouldn't be the coach there, these players are definitely suffering. The Principal should just make a decision now, and get someone in place before any more time is lost.

WileyWolverine

Post by WileyWolverine » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:59 am

DownSouthCoach wrote:What I can't believe is that they are waiting so long to do this next great idea of how to conduct their hiring process. While spring ball is still a ways a way, there is still alot of weight gains, speed gains, and football knowledge that these players are missing out on. So while everyone is arguing over who should or shouldn't be the coach there, these players are definitely suffering. The Principal should just make a decision now, and get someone in place before any more time is lost.
How 'bout no one wants the job. It would be good for Middlebrook to have to coach the Wolverines this season. Many AD's are also football head coaches.
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW

GO LAKERS

DownSouthCoach

Post by DownSouthCoach » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:12 am

I heard that they already got FIVE NEW CANIDATES for the job, but they have to go throught the entire interview process again. I was surprised that there were this many, but if they are told they won't know their fate for another month or so, then there really won't be anyone left who wants the job.

Born Independent

Post by Born Independent » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:22 am

WileyWolverine wrote:How 'bout no one wants the job. It would be good for Middlebrook to have to coach the Wolverines this season. Many AD's are also football head coaches.
Precisely. It is a bad job. They have very little talent coming down the pipeline and whomever coaches the team is going to be the guy that ends up taking the bullet, regardless.

DownSouthCoach

Post by DownSouthCoach » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 am

X's_&_O's wrote:
Sarcasm...

Jimmy Nolan is a tool. He yells and screams.... sticks out his chest and acts like a monkey. He has a very limited grasp of schemes. Now his players' loved him and he motivates the guys extremely well. That was something that couldn't be said of the last staff, so maybe it would work? I think Salter and Nolan are made for each other... Two egotistical individuals who present a front that they know what they're doing when the reality is they're idiots!!

Westling thought all along that he would be the top choice since he turned down the job last time after Wood was fired. He let Veeder have it for a couple of reasons (sorry Wiley it wasn't because he was super loyal to Wood like you think). However the parents made a big stink about him and now Westling is very turned off by Salter and the whole debacle at Aliso.

I think it's great that Salter keeps getting turned down. It's only fitting :D :D
I just investigated a little further today down here at the district and heard that Jimmy Nolan is one of the five finalist. While some might have sometype of personal grudes, I have seen this guy win and compete in games with one of the worst looking football teams in the history of high school sports over there at Laguna. One of my fellow coach's nephew was on the team and while he seemed like a nice kid, there was no buisness for him to be on a football field. But Coach Nolan some how got him and the rest of his skinny little surfer buddies to perform. The best thing I hear about him though is that he puts a Zero Tolerance Drug and Alcohol program which by what this kid told me it was definitely needed there (lets face it, today it's needed preety much every where) and the players actually took pride in it and actually followed it. This something I wish all of our schools could do.
Now seeing first hand this coach being able to take a team that most people wouldn't come within 20 miles of wanting to coach them (me included) and then hearing from a kid that I know personally about how the coach's first priority wasn't even to win, but to keep the kids from hurting themselves with drugs and alcohol...anyone who isn't completely a selfish and a low moraled person should want to be around a coach like that.
The Principal should just give him the job and be thankful someone like that is still interested...especially because I haven't even heard of most of the other canidates names before and I've been doing this a long time so that isn't good.

WileyWolverine

Post by WileyWolverine » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:08 am

DownSouthCoach wrote:
I just investigated a little further today down here at the district and heard that Jimmy Nolan is one of the five finalist. While some might have sometype of personal grudes, I have seen this guy win and compete in games with one of the worst looking football teams in the history of high school sports over there at Laguna. One of my fellow coach's nephew was on the team and while he seemed like a nice kid, there was no buisness for him to be on a football field. But Coach Nolan some how got him and the rest of his skinny little surfer buddies to perform. The best thing I hear about him though is that he puts a Zero Tolerance Drug and Alcohol program which by what this kid told me it was definitely needed there (lets face it, today it's needed preety much every where) and the players actually took pride in it and actually followed it. This something I wish all of our schools could do.
Now seeing first hand this coach being able to take a team that most people wouldn't come within 20 miles of wanting to coach them (me included) and then hearing from a kid that I know personally about how the coach's first priority wasn't even to win, but to keep the kids from hurting themselves with drugs and alcohol...anyone who isn't completely a selfish and a low moraled person should want to be around a coach like that.
The Principal should just give him the job and be thankful someone like that is still interested...especially because I haven't even heard of most of the other canidates names before and I've been doing this a long time so that isn't good.
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW

GO LAKERS

DownSouthCoach

Post by DownSouthCoach » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:16 am

Does that mean you are agains wanting to win and keeping are many young players from making studid decisions off the field with drugs and alcohol. But hay I'm sure you are constantly going out of your way to make a difference all the time...or you maybe you just like to complain and pretend showing up and saying hi to a student every now and then is enough.
But I tell you what, if this job isn't filled soon, the players will definitely be lost. I heard more than one parent has already called asking about transfering. Good for us in competition, but bad for that poor team and it's players.

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 am

Jimmy Nolan would be an excellent choice

HS FB Fan 37

Post by HS FB Fan 37 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:53 am

oceanvue wrote:Jimmy Nolan would be an excellent choice

M&M

Post by M&M » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:05 pm

It sounds like he may be the ONLY choice.

AndUR??

Post by AndUR?? » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Umm...so do ya'll have a Coach yet??? Or are you going to keep letting all of the talent go to Tesoro???
Your are one opinion away from being replaced.

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:39 pm

While Jimmy might have done a nice job with his anti-drug/alcohol message, the fighter/thug mentality that he brought was laughable. Jimmy will get kids to run through walls, but he won't get them in the weightroom. He is a big fan of running and speed training, but his LB kids hadn't seen a weight by the time he left. That might have worked in the Orange Coast League against Estancia, but won't in the Sea View. Keep in mind he took over the LB program as the switch was made that moved them out of the PCL and into the smaller OCL where they could match up with Mesa & Estancia.

Jimmy is a guy who would show up to passing league in maroon and gray camo pants and a white tank-top. He flat out broke CIF rules by recruiting kids to come to LB and forfeited games for doing so. Before his playoff game against Valencia (a team that would go on to win 56-0), the LB walked out from the endzone to mid-field and stared down the Tigers. It was almost comical as Jimmy shadow boxed his way through warms ups in his MMA outfit, only to return to the field before kickoff in a shirt and tie. He is a self promoter who doesn't have a clue about Xs and Os, but thinks of himself as a motivator.

Bring him in at your own peril.

Bick

Post by Bick » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:34 pm

TommyTrojan wrote:While Jimmy might have done a nice job with his anti-drug/alcohol message, the fighter/thug mentality that he brought was laughable. Jimmy will get kids to run through walls, but he won't get them in the weightroom. He is a big fan of running and speed training, but his LB kids hadn't seen a weight by the time he left. That might have worked in the Orange Coast League against Estancia, but won't in the Sea View. Keep in mind he took over the LB program as the switch was made that moved them out of the PCL and into the smaller OCL where they could match up with Mesa & Estancia.

Jimmy is a guy who would show up to passing league in maroon and gray camo pants and a white tank-top. He flat out broke CIF rules by recruiting kids to come to LB and forfeited games for doing so. Before his playoff game against Valencia (a team that would go on to win 56-0), the LB walked out from the endzone to mid-field and stared down the Tigers. It was almost comical as Jimmy shadow boxed his way through warms ups in his MMA outfit, only to return to the field before kickoff in a shirt and tie. He is a self promoter who doesn't have a clue about Xs and Os, but thinks of himself as a motivator.

Yeah - nothing exemplified your weight room point better than his last game at Laguna Beach in 2006 playoffs v. Valencia.

HS FB Fan 37

Post by HS FB Fan 37 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:50 pm

TommyTrojan wrote:While Jimmy might have done a nice job with his anti-drug/alcohol message, the fighter/thug mentality that he brought was laughable. Jimmy will get kids to run through walls, but he won't get them in the weightroom. He is a big fan of running and speed training, but his LB kids hadn't seen a weight by the time he left. That might have worked in the Orange Coast League against Estancia, but won't in the Sea View. Keep in mind he took over the LB program as the switch was made that moved them out of the PCL and into the smaller OCL where they could match up with Mesa & Estancia.

So mostly, he's a bad dresser who does a good job motivating kids? STAY AWAY ALISO!!!

Perhaps if he were to coach in a higher quality league, his approach would, you know, change. I hear these days you have to coach one team differently than you might coach another team. Crazy, I know. The non-weightlifting stigma is "laughable." People seem to forget Jimmy set squat and bench records at Utah for defensive backs. If he were to coach at Aliso, you can count on them being stronger as a whole than they have been in a long time. (Well, maybe not this season, by the time someone gets in there the off-season will be over. Thank you Salter/Middlebrook)

You say the recruiting thing like it's a bad thing. How do you think Mission came back from the gutter of Orange County football that teams like Aliso Niguel currently lie in? Great coaching? Yes. Great athletes that started at other schools? Well, that didn't hurt either. It's a necessity in the current landscape of Orange County high school football. Anyone who says otherwise, they're associated with a program who is not successful at a high level. And besides, if there was any recruiting going on, it's because players made the choice themselves because players WANT to play for him. Ask any player over at Trabuco.

And yeah yeah, Nolan doesn't know X's and O's apparently, blah blah. He must be a damn miracle worker then, the Vince Lombardi of high school football, cause the teams' he's coached seem to win. Pretty impressive I'd say, still winning games when he only has the knowledge to run Student Body Right and Student Body Left out there. Those kids must be fast as hell from all that speed training and zero weightlifting to be able to get to the edge every time. He probably flips a coin before every defensive snap, heads is Man and tails is Zone.

In the off chance Jimmy ends up at Aliso (can anyone verify the new candidates?), I'd be pretty nervous to lose to a group of players who no one wanted, coached by a coach who "doesn't know his X's and O's" and "keeps his players out of the gym." I look forward to seeing if Aliso can compete with Capo, who made a GREAT hire with Poston, because I think they will be the class of that league over the next 4 years once Poston gets rolling. Of course, that all hinges on who Aliso hires as their next coach. We'll see.

BollweevilAKAjohnson

Post by BollweevilAKAjohnson » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

:thumbsup:
Last edited by BollweevilAKAjohnson on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DownSouthCoach

Post by DownSouthCoach » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:58 pm

What is "comical" is that people obviously have been stuck in the classroom trying to learn that perfect "X's and O's" play too long and are forgetting that football, especially high school football, is and forever will be more about getting a bunch of people to believe in each other and play as hard as they can, then it will ever be about teaching how to block a Power or making sure that your Defense has more blitzes and fronts then anyone can count. And while being strong is important, any coach who has ever coached successfully knows that different players must be trained in different ways. This is why Offensive lineman in the NFL for example will Squat, Power Clean, and basically live in the weight room and the Defensive Corners and any other player who is undersized will maybe do some Stair Master and then go Speed Train and practice Football. Meaning you won't gain very much by wasting your time making a bunch of 135lb kids lift everyday to get them to maybe 145lbs by season. So if any coaches, or wannabe coaches out there are still under the impression that any of these top notch program's secrets to success is Squatting and spending hours upon hours in the weight room, then I beg you to go to these programs and see for yourself that while it might be important it will definitely not be considered more important than being able to inspire the motivation of making their players actually believe that they can "run through a wall."

Whatthe?

Post by Whatthe? » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:13 pm

With all of the above being said....the bottom line is ALISO (Salter and Middlebrook) need to get this resolved quickly so when Spring Training starts in May the program and kids have some sence of direction.

The new head coach will need to assemble a staff and have time to meet with them etc.

What a shame it is Salter and Middlebrook (but mostly Salter) have put a good program in the crapper in the course of 4 years.

The ALISO 1996 14-0 CIF Championship season and team wasn't that long ago....but it seems like a million years ago

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:32 pm

The fact that LB was in the playoffs against Fletcher & co. is validation of Nolans ability.I was at the game and came away impressed with LB and their barely 30 something roster. It's no secret that some are not a fan of Nolans, but I am.