Need Advice

Surfing, swimming, fishing, running, hiking and croquet
Red

Need Advice

Postby Red » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:48 pm

As you recall, I purchased the above bike back in May 2010. Well, somebody helped themselves to it. Yep, walked in my garage and goodbye. I am looking to replace it and need a little help. My bike was a Trek Pure with an internal 3-Speed hub. I have been looking around and I like the Townie, Specialized, and Electra has a Amersterdam model. Which one would you get? Or should I get the 2011 Pure which increased in price ($439)?

pattywannamack

Re: Need Advice

Postby pattywannamack » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Red wrote:Image

As you recall, I purchased the above bike back in May 2010. Well, somebody helped themselves to it. Yep, walked in my garage and goodbye. I am looking to replace it and need a little help. My bike was a Trek Pure with an internal 3-Speed hub. I have been looking around and I like the Townie, Specialized, and Electra has a Amersterdam model. Which one would you get? Or should I get the 2011 Pure which increased in price ($439)?

My family actually owns the kind of bikes that you are looking for from all three of those brands. In my experience, they all work really well for what they are but you have to keep in mind that they all have basically the same shifters, very similar frames, and they all have relatively fat tires. In other words, you're going to get basically the same bike from each brand, with slight variances in the frame, saddle, and tires, but nothing that would make or break a bike. When it comes to bikes, there's really not a particular "brand" that's better or worse than another(though, don't buy brands that you can find in walmart because those bikes are made to last for two weeks before breaking). For one, most brands of bike builders use the exact same shifter groups at a given price point, meaning that the level of shifting performance is going to be about the same across the board when comparing bikes at similar price points. All of the frames that different brands use are usually built in the same factory in Taiwain or China, meaning that the frame quality will be basically the same across the board. In general, all of the bikes that you are looking for are designed for comfort cruising, and all of the bikes that you are looking at will do very good at that job.

If you load up your bike in a bike rack often, what you might want to consider is the frame geometry of the bike. My mom's Electra, and my dad's Specialized both have curved and irregular geometries which make it really tough to fit on the bike rack. I often have to put my mom's upside down, and strap my dad's bike onto the rack vertically, which is just a pain because the bikes are quite heavy.

If you can provide links to the bikes that you are interested in, I can help you differentiate between the pros and cons of each bike, but other than that my advice would be just to pick a bike that looks right to you, is in the color that you want, and is at a bike shop/ store that you feel comfortable with.

I hope this helps and sorry to hear about your bike :(
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:39 pm

So I'm guessing you left your garage door open? Not very smart, but I think you probably realize that. It sucks, but it is the world we live in. Drag.

Red

Postby Red » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 pm

crayegg wrote:So I'm guessing you left your garage door open? Not very smart, but I think you probably realize that. It sucks, but it is the world we live in. Drag.

My daughter uses my washer and dryer at least every other day. I tell her to close the garage when I am not at home. Whoever stole the bike knew that bike was there and exactly which one to take. Yes, it sucks. $400 down the drain. I will get another one tomorrow.

Red

Postby Red » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:59 pm

pattywannamack wrote:
My family actually owns the kind of bikes that you are looking for from all three of those brands. In my experience, they all work really well for what they are but you have to keep in mind that they all have basically the same shifters, very similar frames, and they all have relatively fat tires. In other words, you're going to get basically the same bike from each brand, with slight variances in the frame, saddle, and tires, but nothing that would make or break a bike. When it comes to bikes, there's really not a particular "brand" that's better or worse than another(though, don't buy brands that you can find in walmart because those bikes are made to last for two weeks before breaking). For one, most brands of bike builders use the exact same shifter groups at a given price point, meaning that the level of shifting performance is going to be about the same across the board when comparing bikes at similar price points. All of the frames that different brands use are usually built in the same factory in Taiwain or China, meaning that the frame quality will be basically the same across the board. In general, all of the bikes that you are looking for are designed for comfort cruising, and all of the bikes that you are looking at will do very good at that job.

If you load up your bike in a bike rack often, what you might want to consider is the frame geometry of the bike. My mom's Electra, and my dad's Specialized both have curved and irregular geometries which make it really tough to fit on the bike rack. I often have to put my mom's upside down, and strap my dad's bike onto the rack vertically, which is just a pain because the bikes are quite heavy.

If you can provide links to the bikes that you are interested in, I can help you differentiate between the pros and cons of each bike, but other than that my advice would be just to pick a bike that looks right to you, is in the color that you want, and is at a bike shop/ store that you feel comfortable with.

I hope this helps and sorry to hear about your bike :(

Thanks Patty. Think I will get the Townie tomorrow. I would get the matte black Pure, however it is a 7 speed with the exterior gears. At the Orange Bike shop by the
Circle, they have a 7 speed in the interior hub. A little more cost, but still under consideration. I miss my Trek Pure.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Likely a teenager in your neighborhood stole it and sold it immediately. I would still keep my eyes open around the neighborhood though.

Red

Postby Red » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:05 pm

crayegg wrote:Likely a teenager in your neighborhood stole it and sold it immediately. I would still keep my eyes open around the neighborhood though.

Trust me, every time I see somebody riding a bike, I check it out. Even if I spotted somebody riding it, it may be hard to prove it is mine. I wondering if there is some kind of lo-jack system that can be installed and what the cost is. It might be worthwhile to purchase one. My new bike will definately have some type of identification stamp on it.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:08 am

Patty's assessment is spot on. I would like to emphasize the point she made about geometry. If you're planning to put this bike on a bike rack to transport it, pay particular attention to how you might go about that with the particular bike you are considering.

The other thing I suggest is to make sure you get a chance to ride the bike before you buy it. The frame geometry is very similar but could be slightly different for what you are used to or comfortable with. It really comes down to the angle between the seat, pedals and handlebars. Some adjustments are possible, but the releative position to these three things is usually a factor of the bike design. Don't expect to be able to change it much with these types of bikes. Again, most of these style bikes are very similar, but there are slight variations that could make a difference for YOU.

If you're an REI member, consider checking out what they have to offer. I've been pretty happy with their service department too.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:25 am

Every bicycle has an ID #.. flip the bike over and look.. It should have been on the paperwork when you purchased it. If you have record of it you can file a police report
Attachments
IMAG0108.jpg

Red

Postby Red » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:13 am

SoMelo wrote:Every bicycle has an ID #.. flip the bike over and look.. It should have been on the paperwork when you purchased it. If you have record of it you can file a police report

Unfortunately, there was no identification number on the receipt I gave to the PD.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 am

Red wrote:
Unfortunately, there was no identification number on the receipt I gave to the PD.

The bicycle shop you purchased the bike from didn't give you any paperwork with the ID#? That's pretty irresponsible of them.

Red

Postby Red » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:24 am

SoMelo wrote:The bicycle shop you purchased the bike from didn't give you any paperwork with the ID#? That's pretty irresponsible of them.

Yes it is and they want to sell me another bike. I dont think it would have mattered anyways. I am sure that bike is a long ways away from where I live. Sucks.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:32 am

Red wrote:
Yes it is and they want to sell me another bike. I dont think it would have mattered anyways. I am sure that bike is a long ways away from where I live. Sucks.

look for it on Craigslist

Red

Postby Red » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:47 am

SoMelo wrote:look for it on Craigslist

That was one of the first things I thought about. I am pretty sure who ever has it is enjoying it.

SOCTE

Postby SOCTE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:52 am

Probably in Rosarito by now . . . :mex:

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:28 am

Watch to see if your daughter rides to her laundry room every other day on a new bike.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

GOODave

Postby GOODave » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 am

Red wrote:

I got into the habit, years ago, of putting my old California Driver's License number on anything of value: TV's, VCR's (in the day), now DVD players, computers, and even bicycles. I use a dremel to do it (it doesn't have to be fancy) and I take a (now) digital photo of the item and the placement of the number.

I try to put it somewhere that won't usually be checked by the rank-and-file criminal.

I have also video-recorded a slow pan around every room in the house which will be quite useful if we ever sustain a loss to the structure (like a fire or a tornado).

That said, I leave my garage door open all the time, home or away, and we don't have a problem with people coming and going. I close it at night and I try to remember to close it if no one is home ... but we don't worry much if one of us forgets.

Red

Postby Red » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:58 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Watch to see if your daughter rides to her laundry room every other day on a new bike.

So, you persist in bringing up my family and accusing my Daughter of being a thief? You really are disgusting.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:31 am

Red wrote:
So, you persist in bringing up my family and accusing my Daughter of being a thief? You really are disgusting.
You brought up your daughter...I didn't. Is she the "truther" daughter you mentioned earlier?

No accusations...just keep your eyes open.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Red

Postby Red » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:39 am

Parrotpaul wrote:You brought up your daughter...I didn't. Is she the "truther" daughter you mentioned earlier?

No accusations...just keep your eyes open.

Okay, I am going to be civil. She is no longer a "truther". She finally figured out her professor is idiot when it comes to politics. My children knows I will give them most anything they need.

Return to “Outdoors and Recreational”