Metamorphosis of a Monarch Butterfly on a Laguna Beach Balco

Surfing, swimming, fishing, running, hiking and croquet
Brooke

Metamorphosis of a Monarch Butterfly on a Laguna Beach Balco

Postby Brooke » Sat May 28, 2011 12:50 pm

This might be of interest to some of you. Last August, 2010 I read an article in the OC Register about Gibbs Park in Huntington Beach that had originally been constructed to attract Monarch Butterflies. The city failed to maintain it and the plants and trees died and the butterflies no longer came to the park. In addition, it had become home to homeless people and had been nicknamed Scary Park by nearby residents. The gist of the article was about a woman named Leslie Gilson who gathered volunteers to restore the park and she had hired a homeless man to help them maintain it. Thanks to all these people the park was considerably improved.

I was interested because I didn't know that Monarch butterflies came here in significant numbers. I have only seen a few Monarchs, but I have seen several migrations of other butterflies through Orange County. The next day or so I happened to see a couple of Monarchs in my yard. Then my daughter told me that she and her bosses had been to a restaurant in Laguna Beach where the terrace was planted with lots of milkweed plants to attract Monarchs. One of her bosses is an enthusiastic gardener and I thought it would be fun to try to attract the butterflies. So, I bought several milkweed plants and gave one to her boss and he put it on the second floor balcony of their office in Laguna Beach on PCH.

About two days later they noticed a Monarch was sitting on the plant.

Image Image Image Image

She had laid an egg, which would have hatched from three to six days later. The caterpillar was too small to see at first, but as it grew bigger they noticed it. By the time these photos were taken the caterpillar had been eating about two weeks and had grown to a large size.

Image Image Image

Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Brooke

Re: Metamorphosis of a Monarch Butterfly on a Laguna Beach B

Postby Brooke » Sat May 28, 2011 1:09 pm

They realized that the caterpillar was close to going from the larval stage to the pupa stage and they scrambled to find a place for it go (they leave the plant) and attach itself somewhere safe. They found a cardboard box and none too soon because the next day they discovered this chrysalis hanging from one of the flaps on the box.

Image Image

Here the chrysalis has taken on a bit of a different look as it grew older. This stage lasts about 9 to 14 days as the caterpillar transforms into a beautiful Monarch butterfly.

Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat May 28, 2011 1:16 pm

And then the butterfly emerged.

Image Image Image Image

Onto the balcony deck.

Image Image Image

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat May 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Image Image Image

Last photo before the butterfly flew away.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Sat May 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Nice.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat May 28, 2011 1:26 pm

You need to go to the San Diego Safari Park and visit the incredible butterfly habitat the park has created...it's indoors and climate controlled....you walk among hundreds of butterflies....some as large as a dinner plate and others so small you could hold a dozen in your palm.

Hidden Jungle at Safari Park
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat May 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Paul wrote:You need to go to the San Diego Safari Park and visit the incredible butterfly habitat the park has created...it's indoors and climate controlled....you walk among hundreds of butterflies....some as large as a dinner plate and others so small you could hold a dozen in your palm.

Hidden Jungle at Safari Park

Thank you for the information, it has been a long time since I have been to the Safari Park. I didn't know they had butterflies, but I think it is over for this year. :cry:

How about the timing for this event at my daughter's office? It's a once in a lifetime for me as far as timing.

Meanwhile the milkweed I planted didn't attract any attention at all. I put in a few new ones so I am hoping for better results this year.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sat May 28, 2011 2:01 pm

crayegg wrote:Nice.

Thank you, isn't nature wonderful!

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat May 28, 2011 5:05 pm

Brooke wrote:Thank you, isn't nature wonderful!

It is...as long as you are on the "cool" side of the food chain.

BTW...the Safari Park butterfly exhibit is a climate controlled and dedicated indoor environment....there are always dozens of butterflies year round...hunt for an army of leaf-cutter ants while you're there....they are incredibly disciplined focused, goal-oriented, skillful, proficient, and and fun to watch.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Sun May 29, 2011 1:32 am

you need a picture of Kramer spraying it with Raid to complete the cycle

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Mon May 30, 2011 5:35 am

oceanvue wrote:you need a picture of Kramer spraying it with Raid to complete the cycle

I'm trying to be nice for a change and look what you did? This thread was going along quite well until you made this remark. Why did you feel that you had to add a violent end for the innocent creature depicted here? A newborn at that.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Mon May 30, 2011 11:13 am

'Cause it was funny.

Lighten up, Francis.

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Mon May 30, 2011 11:34 am

it made me laugh. I'm here for self amusement as opposed to you who's here for self abusement (new word I just made up that rhymes with amusement) Hey someone should open up an Abusement Park call it Tragic Mountain (that's not funny)

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Mon May 30, 2011 11:38 am

crayegg wrote:'Cause it was funny.

Lighten up, Francis.

:hitonhead:

Hanna

Postby Hanna » Mon May 30, 2011 12:16 pm

These are beautiful photos. The butterfly looks so fragile in the last farewell shots, I hope s/he survives the long migration.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Tue May 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Hanna wrote:These are beautiful photos. The butterfly looks so fragile in the last farewell shots, I hope s/he survives the long migration.

Thank you, I will tell my daughter, I know she will be pleased.

I hope that he/she made the journey successfully too. It's amazing to think that some of them fly around 2500 miles to get to Mexico. It doesn't seem possible for such a delicate creature.

Return to “Outdoors and Recreational”