Sub 2hr marathon? Think it will ever happen?

Surfing, swimming, fishing, running, hiking and croquet
Charles

Sub 2hr marathon? Think it will ever happen?

Postby Charles » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:18 am

This guy just set a new world record of around 2:03:38.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackandfie ... ark-berlin

Here's a discussion of the possibilities:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2010/08 ... -when.html

Here are record marathon times since 1930:

The science article above predicts a sub two hour marathon around 2021 or 2035 if only data since 1980 are considered.

oceanvue

Re: Sub 2hr marathon? Think it will ever happen?

Postby oceanvue » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:27 am

Many feel that woman marathoners will break 2 hours before men do. This chart supports that

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:19 am

oceanvue wrote:Many feel that woman marathoners will break 2 hours before men do. This chart supports that

That chart shows more rapid improvement in time but women are still about 12 minutes slower. Or, about where men were in the 1950s.

"many people"? I'd be surprised if anyone thought women would break it before men.

Is there one credible person who actually thinks women will break two hours before men? Seriously?

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:42 am

why would you say that?

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:25 am

oceanvue wrote:why would you say that?

Men outperform women physically in just about every way. Why should marathon running be different?

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:39 pm

So you're saying you could beat any woman in a marathon? That's a bold statement

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:56 pm

oceanvue wrote:So you're saying you could beat any woman in a marathon? That's a bold statement

Of course not. Come on, You know exactly what I mean.

pattywannamack

Postby pattywannamack » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 am

Charles wrote:
Men outperform women physically in just about every way. Why should marathon running be different?

Women have a better threshold for pain then men do which is something that is ideal to have in an endurance sport. I also read that even though women have smaller lungs, their aerobic system is more efficient then mens' are which would also help them in terms of marathons.

I think the 2 hour mark will be broken but it will be done by someone who is on EPO or some other banned substance.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:27 am

pattywannamack wrote:
Women have a better threshold for pain then men do which is something that is ideal to have in an endurance sport. I also read that even though women have smaller lungs, their aerobic system is more efficient then mens' are which would also help them in terms of marathons.

I think the 2 hour mark will be broken but it will be done by someone who is on EPO or some other banned substance.

Are there scientific studies which support the pain threshold claim? (I am not denying it but just wondering.)

Also, in the context of "really" breaking the two hour mark I was assuming it was a legitimate break and nothing something that will be discounted if illegal substances were used.

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:39 am

Charles wrote:
Are there scientific studies which support the pain threshold claim? (I am not denying it but just wondering.)

Also, in the context of "really" breaking the two hour mark I was assuming it was a legitimate break and nothing something that will be discounted if illegal substances were used.

Just get on the internet and read. But I really don't think you're interested I think you're just argumentative which is why I'm going to be reluctant to respond to your threads again and feed your neurosis. There are books and articles written on the subject "catch her if you can" is one written a while back but will answer some of your questions about physiology.

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:48 am

I ask a legitimate question and you answer it.
oceanvue wrote:I really don't think you're interested
you're just argumentative
feed your neurosis.

pattywannamack wrote:
Women have a better threshold for pain then men do

"“Human studies more reliably show that men have higher pain thresholds than women, and some show that men have a higher pain tolerance as well,” says Jennifer Graham, professor of biobehavioral health at Penn State.

from

http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/painthreshold.html

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:58 am

Charles wrote:I ask a legitimate question and you answer it.

"“Human studies more reliably show that men have higher pain thresholds than women, and some show that men have a higher pain tolerance as well,” says Jennifer Graham, professor of biobehavioral health at Penn State.

from

http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/painthreshold.html

More from the same article..... But the most confounding problem may be the complex nature of pain itself.

“Pain is inherently subjective,” says Graham. “We typically rely on self-report to know if someone is experiencing it.” And it’s tough to determine how much of pain is sensory and how much is influenced by psychological factors, she adds. “The limbic system of the brain, which is related to emotion, is typically active in response to physical pain for both men and women. In fact, looking at functional MRI, it can be difficult to distinguish psychological pain—such as that caused by social exclusion—from pain that is purely physical.”

Sociocultural and psychological influences seem to have a greater impact than any inherent biological factor, believes Graham. Pain lights up our nerves and our brains in ways that are more alike than different. “Overall, I think it’s important to know that men and women respond similarly to pain at a biological level.”

How much it hurts may depend upon who’s asking.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Return to “Outdoors and Recreational”