[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
California drivers getting screwed - Orange County Forums

California drivers getting screwed

Parrotpaul

California drivers getting screwed

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Our gas prices have soared compared with the rest of the country. Apparently a refinery fire and the usual annual maintenance stuff... are we going to continue to get screwed, or at some point will we too begin to enjoy cheap gas like the rest of the country. This flat out sucks. The price of oil keeps going down, but apparently California consumer groups and/or state legislators are all on vacation. WTF... this isn't right.

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

MDDad

Re: California drivers getting screwed

Postby MDDad » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:50 pm

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:49 pm

$3.53 for 91 octane at Costco.... isn't going down... in January I was paying about 2.49.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:33 pm

So you're paying 41% more than six months ago. When you factor in the 28% rise in crude oil prices during that time, the "refinery fire" which seems to happen like clockwork about once or twice a year, and the usual summer maintenance shutdowns, the stories behind the screw-job are almost believable.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:37 pm

But not quite.....

How much additional revenue have the gas companies made so far.... over let's say the past year? Surely enough revenue to cover their costs and down time... this need some investigation, IMO.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:00 pm

You're a smart guy. I have to assume every time gas prices outpace crude oil costs, you buy more oil company stocks, right? It's the American way.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Nope.... I'm a utilities and telecom kind of guy.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:49 am

I also like EPD, a limited partnership...this morning might have been another good entry point for this issue... it's sold off substantially with the drop of oil prices, but it declared another dividend boost...$.38 a quarter...check out its dividend payout history. It tends to follow oil prices, and oil is up today.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:50 pm

OMG!!! What a surprise!!! Who could have predicted something like this?

Motorists may want to fill their gas tanks, ASAP.

GasBuddy predicts prices in the region could rise 15 cents to 30 cents a gallon over the next week. At some Orange County stations, prices have already jumped 10 cents in a day.

The West Coast’s inventory of gasoline has declined by more than 1 million barrels while fuel imports to the area have been nonexistent, according to a report Wednesday by the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Immediately following the report, wholesale prices spiked 27 cents a gallon.

Jerry Wynne, a Tustin resident, has seen prices rise already in his neighborhood.

“Last night, at the gas station, it was one price and early this morning it was a full 10 cents a gallon higher at all the stations, not just one,” he said Thursday.
<snip>

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pric ... cents.html

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:35 pm

We should have a pool for what state legislator makes the annual threat to investigate. :roll:
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:25 am

Even the northeast has us on the front pages. This really does suck.

CAMARILLO, Calif. — While gas prices nationwide are on a downward trend, California is experiencing a spike that could see prices top $4 a gallon before easing again, according to analysts.

A shortage in oil and other components used in refining California’s unique blend of less-polluting gas was one of the reasons for the price jump, industry analyst Trilby Lundberg said Sunday.

A slowdown in imported crude and a refinery shutdown in Torrance also caused wholesale prices to skyrocket, experts said.

The highest average price in the nation was $3.66 a gallon in Los Angeles as of Friday – a jump of 9 cents, according to Lundberg’s bi-weekly survey. But prices rose another 13 cents in a special survey conducted Saturday, she said.

This resulted in wildly different prices even in the same areas. Two competing gas stations in the Woodland Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles, which normally charge about the same price, were 58 cents apart on Saturday afternoon, according to City News Service. A gallon cost $3.72 at one station, and $4.30 at the other.

Patrick DeHaan, a senior petroleum analyst at Gas Buddy, told the Los Angeles Times that California had become unattractive to foreign suppliers because prices had been dropping for months.

However the worst effects of the spike were already easing Sunday as foreign wholesalers moved quickly to bring their product into California, Lundberg said.

“Exports from outside the state in the U.S. and abroad did not have a great incentive to come in, but now they do,” she said.

Nationwide, the average price of gasoline dropped 2 cents over the past two weeks to $2.83 a gallon. The average national price for midgrade gas was $3.05, with premium going for $3.22, according to the Lundberg survey.

The cheapest price recorded in the continental United States was $2.42 a gallon in Jackson, Mississippi.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/07/12/g ... alifornia/

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:11 am

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:13 am

Isn't capitalism great?

Oil companies are able to raise the price of gas because they know x-amount of gallons will be needed regardless of price. CA is their biggest market and they are only tapping a major gold vein.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:24 am

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:13 am

Absolutely. I've lived in Orange County since the week after Disneyland opened.

My point is that if we are going to insist on cleaner-burning gas than they have in other states, we shouldn't act surprised when it costs more. On the other hand, I've also noticed that the nation's cheapest gasoline always seems to be in states with the lowest per capita income....like Mississippi in this article. Is that just a coincidence, or is "ability to pay" one of the factors in setting prices?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:32 am

Damn! You're old! Um. Same here, but we lived in Whittier at the time.

I have no problem with having to pay a little more but a dollar or a dollar-and-a-half is pretty much "got 'em by the _____" pricing. And the annual refinery fire/down for servicing period has become as predictable as the annual reports of record profits. Unfortunate but (unprovable) price manipulation is just part of the game.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:54 am

Last edited by Wabash on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:08 am

John, if you lived in Whittier you were even worse off. In Anaheim, we could see the air, but in Whittier you could probably chew it.

I remember days in elementary school when kids would go to the drinking fountains during recess and inhale water into their lungs in an effort to ease the discomfort. That could never happen today. With the changed demographics, if a school allowed its kids outside during a heavy smog day, it would be considered racist.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 am

I remember a day in high school when we could see the smog inside the gym. But we still had to play basketball. I remember that and the days when you could smell the smog when I think about the "stupid" AQMD rules. Well, except for that stuff about the firepits. That really was stupid.

afan95

Postby afan95 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:11 pm

I remember smog days when you didn't have to go to school because it was so unhealthy.

Just paid $4.39/gal in HB.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Return to “California”