[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
California drivers getting screwed - Page 5 - Orange County Forums

California drivers getting screwed

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: California drivers getting screwed

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:07 pm

Fewer than 10 choices? Doesn't that make pretty much everything an oligopoly?

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:58 pm

In a lot of ways. The difference is that gasoline has what is called an inelastic demand curve.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:20 am

"Inelastic demand curve", Wabash?? Seems the demand curve has been contracting pretty sharply these past couple of years.. Economic conditions in Asia have greatly reduced the demand for vehicle fuel, new cars and the airline industry has been struggling over there. Here in the US the demand for more efficient cars and light trucks has put a crimp in the oil industry's net profits and has the state and federal governments scrambling to figure out how to increase lost fuel taxes without pissing off the voters with elections coming up..
Looks like you slept through any economic classes you think you took and only 10% understand terms like oligopoly, demand curves, and profits... :lol:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:28 am

"... put a crimp in the oil industry's net profits."

I know, right? Only $93 billion last year, or $177,000 per minute. How will they ever survive?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:18 am

They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:02 am

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Last edited by John Q. Public on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the personal attack

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:59 am

Ummmm....3.09 for 91 octane. I thought difficulties obtaining a "summer blend" of gasoline kept the prices up there...would someone clue the price gougers it is now winter....why are our prices still so ridiculously out of line with the rest of the country?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:10 pm

Because the eco-wackos have limited refinery capabilities on the west coast, set high maintenance standards and schedules for California refineries. All of which causes a fuel shortage and higher prices..
The rest of the country pays almost $1/gallon less because of this...
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:51 pm

Summer blend in the winter?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:17 am

I mentioned before that gas prices are pretty volitile here in the North Dallas area. I was driving to work yesterday and the electronic message sign went from $1.85 to $1.76. Two days before it was $1.78. It is not unusual to see prices swing by more than 10 cents at a time. I'm not sure why that is so different than CA.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:27 am

They were serving a more expensive varietal over the weekend?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:16 pm

I had to look up varietal. :mrgreen:

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:07 pm

A varietal is when you take one bottle of Two-Buck Chuck Merlot and one bottle of Two-Buck Chuck Chardonnay and put them in the blender to make your own rosé.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Great explanation. It's a cool word that must be more common in the wine business than in the education component. I quizzed my wife on the word...she gave a definition similar to yours...even using the wine analogy.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:16 am

It generally applies to wine but it can be used with coffee and chocolate. And it can probably be used by connoisseurs of fine gas.

Correction: Using it with coffee and chocolate would be incorrect. "Appellation" would be the correct word with them.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:10 am

I agree JQP. Nothing quite goes with a medium-rare bone-in ribeye like a dry yet robust Saudi Arabian 87 octane winter blend with delicate notes of vanilla and cranberry. It take a while to develop the palate though.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:29 am

It's an acquired taste.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:31 am

And unlike the better French varietals, it's a little thick going down too.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:11 pm

Just read an article about Mopar hemi engines. Many "variants."

Return to “California”