Where do you get your oil changed?

Driving, flying, riding and sitting in traffic
Charles

Where do you get your oil changed?

Post by Charles »

That is, if you don't do it yourself?

For decades I did it myself but it is messy, a hassle, and not that much cheaper than paying some place if you have a coupon. I just hate waiting around.

Where are places that are cheap and you don't have to wait?

2008 Toyota Sequoia and 1998 F-150 if it matters.

I've tried Sears a couple times as I my park and ride is right there at the Laguna Hills Mall. I just drop my car off and slip the key and my service request form in the slot around 545AM and it is done when I get back from work latter that day. Just looking for alternatives or best kept secrets.
SoMelo

Re: Where do you get your oil changed?

Post by SoMelo »

You are better off taking your vehicle to a dealership while it is under factory warranty. It's easy for them to refuse warranty work if they claim it wasn't properly maintained. I still take my '01 Suburban to the dealership, they usually have specials for $24 - $29, they'll all do an inspection and suggest work that should be done (then I take it to a trusted mechanic I've used for years). I've never found an affordable place for my Mini Cooper and the dealer charges $150 (ohhh, but that includes a wash :steam: )
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Pep Boys...Lake Forest
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
afan95

Post by afan95 »

Dealership because I get a free car wash as well. Make an appointment, bring a book, takes 45 min., costs the same as the Minute Lube guys, and I don't have to worry about whether they will put the right kind of oil in or not.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Charles wrote:That is, if you don't do it yourself?

For decades I did it myself but it is messy, a hassle, and not that much cheaper than paying some place if you have a coupon. I just hate waiting around.

Where are places that are cheap and you don't have to wait?

2008 Toyota Sequoia and 1998 F-150 if it matters.

I've tried Sears a couple times as I my park and ride is right there at the Laguna Hills Mall. I just drop my car off and slip the key and my service request form in the slot around 545AM and it is done when I get back from work latter that day. Just looking for alternatives or best kept secrets.
Lake Forest Auto Repair off of Lake Forest and Aspen. Great mechanic, and he looks over the car when he changes the oil. Also, he specializes in Toyotas. I don't take my cars anywhere else.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
SOCTE

Post by SOCTE »

Purrfect Auto.

Plenty of locations in The OC.

Purrfect Auto.
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

I usually do it myself.
Go to a filthy place like a Wal-Mart or Big Lots......pull in the parking lot, remove the oil filter first and have the new one ready to put on. After that, push the vehicle back about 8-10 feet, pull the oil drain plug and let the oil run out all over the parking lot.

Fill with new oil, back up and drive away!! :P
Charles

Post by Charles »

Biscuit wrote:I usually do it myself.
Go to a filthy place like a Wal-Mart or Big Lots......pull in the parking lot, remove the oil filter first and have the new one ready to put on. After that, push the vehicle back about 8-10 feet, pull the oil drain plug and let the oil run out all over the parking lot.

Fill with new oil, back up and drive away!! :P

I did the same thing, but I'd wait until I was on a fishing trip next to a stream in the High Sierras.
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

Charles wrote:

I did the same thing, but I'd wait until I was on a fishing trip next to a stream in the High Sierras.
Haha!!...I'll bet that would drive those moron Sierra Club members nuts!! :thumbsup:
CredoBBallCoach

Post by CredoBBallCoach »

At the dealership. Costs a little more, but atleast you know its done right.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

My car's to the point that my mechanic does it while it's there. :(
Don't look at me, I just work here.
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Let me know if you're ever ready for a new car, I got connections :thumbsup: