LAUSD is going to strike

K-12 and beyond
cruiser

LAUSD is going to strike

Postby cruiser » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:27 pm

A school district (that is way to large and has a central bureaucracy unmatched most anywhere)
that graduates only 50-60% of their students is going to strike, apparently on January 10.

Apparently there is no money for all they are asking for but so what; it appears the union is
going to go for it.

Omar Bongo

Re: LAUSD is going to strike

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Do you have any idea why?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:35 am

The district did offer a 3% raise retroactive to 2017 when they started working without a contract, and 3% this year. However they did attach strings.

The union wants them to spend part of the $2 billion unrestricted reserve (a record high) to hire more nurses, counselors, and librarians.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:00 pm

I think you left out some facts,Fordama; while the district does have a two billion reserve fund, actually 1.8 billion the district is spending that now to keep the district afloat - the district's operating deficit is big and growing, "in about two years ,the reserve will be gone" per LAUSD Superintendent Austin Beutner.

Besides salary,the teachers want reduced class sizes(though overall enrollment is decreasing), nurses, counselors, psychologists, librarians to the schools and making sure (the biggie)that privatization isn't sapping money from neighborhood public schools.

Per Beutner, the union's proposal would cost about 900 million and would bankrupt the district which is already in a precarious financial situation.The union points to the district's1.8 billon reserve fund and how it can meet teacher's demands,but the district argues that money is already allocated for employee raises and other programs. The district projections show that money will be nearly exhausted in two years because of it's $500 million! operating yearly budget deficit.

LAUSD could be put under state control if both sides can'not agree to a suitable arrangement.

BTW - the vast majority of regular people forget that the yearly salaries of public school teachers
are for ten months not a full year plus with Xmas/Easter vacations/MANY holidays,etc; teachers
get another 5-6 weeks off during the school year...

Again, LAUSD is way to big and should have been restructured into smaller divisions within the
school district with local area control.

On a side note,if the strike takes place the CIF LAcity section will suspend all athletic events
until the strike is remedied

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:11 pm

cruiser wrote:BTW - the vast majority of regular people forget that the yearly salaries of public school teachers are for ten months not a full year plus with Xmas/Easter vacations/MANY holidays,etc; teachers get another 5-6 weeks off during the school year...

Sheesh, here we go again, those pampered public school teachers...

How would you like someone to argue that you don't deserve a good wage by pointing out only the benefits of your job and ignoring all the drawbacks?

And allow me to point out that, unlike "the vast majority of regular people", a teacher's salary is for all the work they perform throughout the school year, not just the time they're physically "at work". I have never known a teacher who didn't work at home, on weekends and through holiday periods.

One more thing...When you're hired by LAUSD, you get a choice whether to have your salary paid to you in 10 or 12 monthly installments. If you opt for 10 that doesn't mean you're not getting paid for all the prep work you do during summer.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:...a teacher's salary is for all the work they perform throughout the school year, not just the time they're physically "at work". I have never known a teacher who didn't work at home, on weekends and through holiday periods.

That's a common defense, Omar, but the same is true of almost every salaried professional I've ever known. Almost all of them worked late into the evenings or at home, and often on weekends and holidays. In addition, many of them had to put of with the stresses and inconveniences of frequent travel. In fact, one of the few things that makes teachers unique among all salaried professionals is the summer months off.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:29 pm

MDDad wrote:That's a common defense, Omar, but the same is true of almost every salaried professional I've ever known. Almost all of them worked late into the evenings or at home, and often on weekends and holidays.

So why didn't you take exception with Cruiser for implying that they don't? BTW, it's not a "defense", it's a fact.

In fact, one of the few things that makes teachers unique among all salaried professionals is the summer months off

Once again, the vacation periods and summer months are not necessarily "time off"...many teachers perform work during those times.

Last but not least, I would also point out that there are many things that make a public school teacher's job "unique" and it's quite disingenuous to only emphasize the favorable ones.
George Will

Donald Trump

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:30 am

Omar, thanks for answering for Fordama, I never said teachers did not deserve their demands, just stating the "facts"per the LAUSD superintendent per the LATIMES, the side note about time off teachers get is true, no?

I have several neighbors that are elementery/middle/high school teachers that are neighborhood
friends, maybe it's an anomaly that the teachers you know always work during their time off, the
ones, I know,probably 90% do not -OTHER than maybe an hour or two getting ready for tests, etc.;
you also have to remember that the actual (teaching) normal school day is 6 hours or so not a regular jack/jill, 8 hours day.

Yes, teachers can collect in 12 month increments their salary for their 10 months of work, so?
I also don't know of too many businesses that give you a two week paid Xmas vacation. a one
week paid Easter vacation and I think now 12 other paid holidays a year off, do you?
(plus - teachers get PAID sick time off)

We did not even talk about the defined pension/health care benefits that state teachers get for life!
when they retire (which is the main cause of the district going bankrupt) that 90+% of regular workers do not get, AGAIN; nothing against the teachers demanding their just compensation but the district can only
agree with they resources they have without the entire district going into state control, just be real,
about it. Nothing more or less.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:56 am

cruiser wrote:BTW - the vast majority of regular people forget that the yearly salaries of public school teachers
are for ten months not a full year...

We don't pay for mortgages, food, gas, etc the other two months?

Yeah, being a teacher is so very lucrative. That's why we have such a vast surplus of teachers these days! It's a path to great riches!

And teaching in Los Angeles..why we're all banging down the doors for those jobs!
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Did a little digging comparing pay in LAUSD to pay in my district here in OC.

Starting salary for a credentialed teacher is $14K a year lower in LA.
Top pay is about $40K per year lower in LA than here.

I started in LAUSD. I'm positive that if I hadn't left to teach elsewhere I wouldn't have stayed a teacher. That's a tough place to teach.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Fordama wrote:Starting salary for a credentialed teacher is $14K a year lower in LA.
Top pay is about $40K per year lower in LA than here.

Clearly Orange County teachers are way overpaid.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:23 pm

:rockon:

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:10 pm

Again, no one is saying that the LAUSD teachers don't deserve what they are demanding, just be
real about it, if the LAUSD budget is already in deficit mode, then that is something everyone
should consider in the overall scheme of things - nothing more or less.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Fordama wrote:We don't pay for mortgages, food, gas, etc the other two months?

Yeah, being a teacher is so very lucrative. That's why we have such a vast surplus of teachers these days! It's a path to great riches!

And teaching in Los Angeles..why we're all banging down the doors for those jobs!

YES, it's where you want to teach is the difference, my niece is a teacher in an adjoining
school district to LAUSD, she had to wait/teach at different schools for several years before
she became a classified teacher at the HS she is at now (Bachelors/subject(s) teaching credential/Masters) and she is bilinguel - because there were so many teacher applicants at all the school districts she
applied for, that well; are not LAUSD

I would suspect STEM teacher appplicats are still in high demand anywhere?

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:34 pm

cruiser wrote:Again, no one is saying that the LAUSD teachers don't deserve what they are demanding, just be
real about it, if the LAUSD budget is already in deficit mode, then that is something everyone
should consider in the overall scheme of things - nothing more or less.

Let's start with this--you should trust what the Super of LAUSD says as much as you should trust the Sham Wow guy.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:20 pm

..interesting editorial article today by state senator, John Moorlach; give it a read if you get a chance -
"The LAUSD budget crisis threatens the state budget"

Return to “Education”