Overtaken

K-12 and beyond
not4u13

Overtaken

Post by not4u13 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:54 am

Drugs in OC schools. No surprise right? Well you might be surprised by how many kids are killed by drug overdose here in OC. This is a pretty interesting article that talks about the documentary film "Overtaken" created by a group of OC moms.

A quote "Kids are dying and somethign needs to be done".

http://www.ocregister.com/news/-148660-ocprint--.html
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

oceanvue

Re: Overtaken

Post by oceanvue » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:08 am

Thank you for the heads up. I didn't know about the Melkonian death until I read the piece, I assume he is Andrew's little brother, if so I knew the dad a bit. Good guy. I feel for his loss

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:29 am

oceanvue wrote:Thank you for the heads up. I didn't know about the Melkonian death until I read the piece, I assume he is Andrew's little brother, if so I knew the dad a bit. Good guy. I feel for his loss
Went to several parties at the mom's home. Crazy times. The step-father was a complete lush. So sad, so many lost children and parents in denial.
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:43 am

not4u13 wrote:Drugs in OC schools. No surprise right? Well you might be surprised by how many kids are killed by drug overdose here in OC. This is a pretty interesting article that talks about the documentary film "Overtaken" created by a group of OC moms.

A quote "Kids are dying and somethign needs to be done".

http://www.ocregister.com/news/-148660-ocprint--.html
It is called "parenting".
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:04 pm

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
It is called "parenting".
Yes ... yes it is.

But it isn't just about parenting your own kids. It is also about being a community and working to help each other. That is part of what this video is all about. Parents who have already lost children taking time now to help educate kids and parents alike before more children are lost.

In this day when there are more two income families and where one or more of those parents have more than one job, there is less time available for parenting than there should be.

I'm not saying that is the situation in every case. In many instances it is about giving the kid too much money. Part of good parenting is to limit the cash available to help make drugs even less attractive.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:16 pm

not4u13 wrote:
Yes ... yes it is.

But it isn't just about parenting your own kids. It is also about being a community and working to help each other. That is part of what this video is all about. Parents who have already lost children taking time now to help educate kids and parents alike before more children are lost.

In this day when there are more two income families and where one or more of those parents have more than one job, there is less time available for parenting than there should be.

I'm not saying that is the situation in every case. In many instances it is about giving the kid too much money. Part of good parenting is to limit the cash available to help make drugs even less attractive.
I understand what you are saying, but the "it takes a village" canard does not work. It is ultimately about two parents taking care of their kids. I know people need to make sacrifices, but in most cases, I think that kids get lost because they parents don't keep as close an eye on them as they should. These choices that people make lead to not having time to watch their kids. I know there are exceptions but that seems to be the rule.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:00 pm

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
I understand what you are saying, but the "it takes a village" canard does not work. It is ultimately about two parents taking care of their kids. I know people need to make sacrifices, but in most cases, I think that kids get lost because they parents don't keep as close an eye on them as they should. These choices that people make lead to not having time to watch their kids. I know there are exceptions but that seems to be the rule.
I stop just short of saying that "it takes a village", but I am also reminded of my own childhood where my parents were basically clueless. They had no more idea what I was doing during the day than the guy in the next city. But I knew that there were certain lines that, if crossed, would get back to them in a hurry. Because people talked to each other and helped each other. Because parenting is a big job and sometimes you need a hand up.

We have lived in the same neighborhood since my kids started school. We know many (not all) of our neighbors and they know our kids ... and our kids know it. They know it isn't just about us and what we can see, it is also about what gets back to us through others. That last part is essential to parents of teens as they learn, through trial and error sometimes, where the boundaries are. It is not just about drugs, but about sex and bullying and other such things.

So ... no ... it doesn't "take a village" ... but it sure helps when everyone leans in together toward a common goal.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:25 pm

not4u13 wrote:
I stop just short of saying that "it takes a village", but I am also reminded of my own childhood where my parents were basically clueless. They had no more idea what I was doing during the day than the guy in the next city. But I knew that there were certain lines that, if crossed, would get back to them in a hurry. Because people talked to each other and helped each other. Because parenting is a big job and sometimes you need a hand up.

We have lived in the same neighborhood since my kids started school. We know many (not all) of our neighbors and they know our kids ... and our kids know it. They know it isn't just about us and what we can see, it is also about what gets back to us through others. That last part is essential to parents of teens as they learn, through trial and error sometimes, where the boundaries are. It is not just about drugs, but about sex and bullying and other such things.

So ... no ... it doesn't "take a village" ... but it sure helps when everyone leans in together toward a common goal.
It doesn't necessarily take a village ... but it definitely takes more than just you mom and dad looking out for you. My older brother and I were the first males (other than my dad) in my mom's life. She had no idea how to raise a boy (never mind, two).

She counted on teachers and school administrators, close friends of the family, neighbors ... none of whom "snitched" on me, but all of whom knew my parents and knew what they would and would not allow. Didn't help (me) that my dad and grandfather were highly and well connected all over OC so I couldn't pee on a tree without someone seeing me.

When I got older, and started wanting a family, I new it couldn't be in OC because I didn't (and don't) want to be one of those absent dads working two jobs just to make ends meet. Up until this year, my wife didn't even have a job outside the home. Southern California became the place I did not want to raise a family so I was very fortunate when I got the opportunity to leave.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 pm

GOODave wrote: It doesn't necessarily take a village ... but it definitely takes more than just you mom and dad looking out for you. My older brother and I were the first males (other than my dad) in my mom's life. She had no idea how to raise a boy (never mind, two).

She counted on teachers and school administrators, close friends of the family, neighbors ... none of whom "snitched" on me, but all of whom knew my parents and knew what they would and would not allow. Didn't help (me) that my dad and grandfather were highly and well connected all over OC so I couldn't pee on a tree without someone seeing me.

When I got older, and started wanting a family, I new it couldn't be in OC because I didn't (and don't) want to be one of those absent dads working two jobs just to make ends meet. Up until this year, my wife didn't even have a job outside the home. Southern California became the place I did not want to raise a family so I was very fortunate when I got the opportunity to leave.
I think I'd rather be broke and in SoCal than well off in the midwest.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Notorious wrote: I think I'd rather be broke and in SoCal than well off in the midwest.
Opinions vary.

Looks like you got your wish.

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:55 pm

GOODave wrote: Opinions vary.

Hahaha! :mrgreen:
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:33 am

not4u13 wrote:

Totally get what you are saying. I agree with "neighborhood parenting" to a degree. We have always been very clear when we did not like a kid in the neighborhood, and keeping a close eye on the other kids that ours hung out with. From my experience, the kids with the drug issues often have two escalades (or BMW, whatever) in the driveway at home, with mom and dad working 40+ and not keeping a close eye on the kids.
Jonathan Swift

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:27 am

GOODave wrote: Opinions vary.

I ain't broke bro.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

ccbrant

Post by ccbrant » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:12 pm

I am the producer of Overtaken along with Jodi Barber. The comments I read hear are so typical of the misinformation that allows our county to be #2 in the nation for fatal overdoses.

Many people wrongly believe that this does not happen to “good families.” While many kids do get lost in drugs because they have parents that are too busy to care - overwhelmingly that is NOT the case in our area. I have 4 children all who have never been on drugs but they have seen many of their friends die due to one bad choice.
Drugs have been a part of every generation, the difference is the drugs of today’s youth are very often fatal. I made this film to inform kids and our community that this happens to good families.

One of the #1 killers in this area is Opana - a drug most of you have never even heard of. It is a time released opiate. When the pill is split in half or crushed (which it often is, either from kids sharing it or thinking it will “hit” them faster) the time released coating is removed and 12 hours worth of opiate pain killers are delivered into the body in 20 minutes stopping the bodies respiratory system and causing instant death.

If your child was asked to shoot heroin at a party they would be mortified - but if someone said take 1/2 this pill it’s safe, from a Doctor and gives you a great high...They might just be curious. That 1/2 a pill is more likely to kill them them meth,cocaine and heroin combined. Most kids and adults don’t know that. When we give this assembly at our local schools 80% of the kids raise their hands when asked if they have ever been offered pills.

Please throw away your pills and educate your children. It does take a community to bring about change and without us all taking a stance more young lives will be lost.

You can now view our film on Youtube - sit down with your children and lets start to save some lives here.