Life Without Satelite or Cable TV

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
SoMelo

Life Without Satelite or Cable TV

Post by SoMelo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:52 am

What do you think?

$30.00 TV antenna box in the attic (one time purchase)
$60.00 ROKU box to connect to HDTV set to the internet (one time purchase)
$7.99 (per month) to Netflix
$7.99 (per month) Hulu Plus

(they say) The internet video-on-demand quality is great, and the over-the-air HDTV quality is excellent

kramer

Re: Life Without Satelite or Cable TV

Post by kramer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:44 am

SoMelo wrote:What do you think?

(they say) The internet video-on-demand quality is great, and the over-the-air HDTV quality is excellent
If you try this, let us know how it works. I'm tired of paying my cable provider for 75% of the channels that I never watch and I've have been contemplating this (not the movie channels, just moving to over-the-air TV).
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:58 am

I have a buddy that just got the Roku and loves it. He just turned in his cable box yesterday.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

kramer

Post by kramer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote:I have a buddy that just got the Roku and loves it. He just turned in his cable box yesterday.
Does he get the free over-the-air HDTV? If so, did he say anything about the picture quality and how many channels he gets?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 am

kramer wrote:
Does he get the free over-the-air HDTV? If so, did he say anything about the picture quality and how many channels he gets?
We live in Ladera Ranch, so internet is bundled with our association.

He gets a ton of stuff. I went over to look at it when he got it, but he doesn't get "channels" in the cable paradigm. However, he has no shortage of things to watch.

I just got a Google TV appliance, and I am playing with that right now. I may kick my cable to the curb pretty shortly as well.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

kramer

Post by kramer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
We live in Ladera Ranch, so internet is bundled with our association.

He gets a ton of stuff. I went over to look at it when he got it, but he doesn't get "channels" in the cable paradigm. However, he has no shortage of things to watch.

I just got a Google TV appliance, and I am playing with that right now. I may kick my cable to the curb pretty shortly as well.
Well, I may not be that far behind you. About the only thing that would definitely make me stay with my cable provider would be if they offered al la carte programming where you only pay for the channels you like. I can't stand those packages they offer, the vast majority of channels are garbage that drives up the cost of the cable.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:50 pm

I'm going to order the Roku XDS Streaming Player 1080p (yes JQP, through OCConnect-Mart) as soon as I get back from a business trip next week. I'm going to start with Netflix and hopefully move on from there.

Logic.in.LN

Post by Logic.in.LN » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:31 pm

SoMelo wrote:What do you think?

Haven't had cable since Theta Cable for a couple years in the early 1970's. I missed watching the college bowl games this year since they all moved to cable and expect the March Madness may do the same. Other than that, there is not much to watch on cable especially now with Netflix. The OTA channels come in fine nearly all the time with an antenna.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former”
– Albert Einstein

Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, jut wait until you see our solutions.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Logic.in.LN wrote: Haven't had cable since Theta Cable for a couple years in the early 1970's. I missed watching the college bowl games this year since they all moved to cable and expect the March Madness may do the same. Other than that, there is not much to watch on cable especially now with Netflix. The OTA channels come in fine nearly all the time with an antenna.
What's that??? :eh?:

Verizon FIOS here, and I'm happy with it. $125 a month for (basic) TV, internet and phone. But I guess for me, it's $125 for internet. I haven't had the TV on since last Monday and I only use the phone a couple times a year when I have to fax something. Maybe I should look into whatever it is that Blu-Ray player thingie I bought does. But I have no idea where the Foreign Babe put the instruction book for it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

kramer

Post by kramer » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:45 pm

Logic.in.LN wrote:The OTA channels come in fine nearly all the time with an antenna.
How many channels do you get, what is the HDTV resolution from the box (1920x1080 or lower?), is your antenna in an attic or on the roof, and are you in South OC?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:25 pm

kramer wrote:
How many channels do you get, what is the HDTV resolution from the box (1920x1080 or lower?), is your antenna in an attic or on the roof, and are you in South OC?
Geez! Don't tell his Association! That's probably a bigger fine than leaving his screen door open.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:59 am

I live in an area where I can't get FiOS or DSL but I can get cable. I use cable for my Internet connection. Roadrunner turbo plus. 20.31 Mb/s download speed as tested with speedtest.net as I was creating this post (upload speed is 1.71).

I have DirecTV HD programming for my TV viewing pleasure and I have a roof antena that I use for off-air HD programming.

For off-air programming I get all the basic channels plus a few others. I've written on other threads that I use the off-air programming for Picture-in-Picture viewing. I can watch Lakers on K-Cal 9 off air and whatever else is on ESPN or FSW (for example). It comes in real handy during the NFL season. The signal quality of off-air is a little better I think than what I see from DirecTV. There is no delay in the signal either. You get full HD, although the stations are broadcasting as either 1080i or 720p.

My kids watch a lot of shows on Hulu and love it. I've never tried to watch HD quality shows over Hulu. I also have Netflix streaming and have watched HD content. Even with my Internet speeds some of the stuff just isn't that great and doesn't compare to Blueray quality. I don't know anything about ROKU but I just looked it up. It looks like a new version of Internet TV. I have an xBox on that TV and you can do almost the same things with it that you can with the ROKU box (it appears).

Internet TV is becoming extremely popular. It is now embeded in many TVs (including Vizio), Blueray players (I have a Samsung with this capability), and gaming consoles (like the xBox and PS3).

What I don't think you can get (yet) from any of these devices are channels like TNT, TBS, Speed, VS or FSW. All of these channels include sports programming, which is best watched live. Does this justify the extra expense of DirecTV? Maybe not. I'm examining my options too. For now though, I'm sticking with my current setup.

As for the ROKU box. Based on the (very little) research I've done, I'd say it isn't worth the money. Try your xBox first or, consider purchasing a new device that has this technology embeded. You won't pay extra for it and if you could use a new TV or blueray player, you'll be in good shape.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:17 am

not4u13 wrote:I live in an area where I can't get FiOS or DSL but I can get cable. I use cable for my Internet connection. Roadrunner turbo plus. 20.31 Mb/s download speed as tested with speedtest.net as I was creating this post (upload speed is 1.71).

I have DirecTV HD programming for my TV viewing pleasure and I have a roof antena that I use for off-air HD programming.

For off-air programming I get all the basic channels plus a few others. I've written on other threads that I use the off-air programming for Picture-in-Picture viewing. I can watch Lakers on K-Cal 9 off air and whatever else is on ESPN or FSW (for example). It comes in real handy during the NFL season. The signal quality of off-air is a little better I think than what I see from DirecTV. There is no delay in the signal either. You get full HD, although the stations are broadcasting as either 1080i or 720p.

My kids watch a lot of shows on Hulu and love it. I've never tried to watch HD quality shows over Hulu. I also have Netflix streaming and have watched HD content. Even with my Internet speeds some of the stuff just isn't that great and doesn't compare to Blueray quality. I don't know anything about ROKU but I just looked it up. It looks like a new version of Internet TV. I have an xBox on that TV and you can do almost the same things with it that you can with the ROKU box (it appears).

Internet TV is becoming extremely popular. It is now embeded in many TVs (including Vizio), Blueray players (I have a Samsung with this capability), and gaming consoles (like the xBox and PS3).

What I don't think you can get (yet) from any of these devices are channels like TNT, TBS, Speed, VS or FSW. All of these channels include sports programming, which is best watched live. Does this justify the extra expense of DirecTV? Maybe not. I'm examining my options too. For now though, I'm sticking with my current setup.

As for the ROKU box. Based on the (very little) research I've done, I'd say it isn't worth the money. Try your xBox first or, consider purchasing a new device that has this technology embeded. You won't pay extra for it and if you could use a new TV or blueray player, you'll be in good shape.
I've looked into Internet-based broadcasting of sports like MLB.TV: For a hundred bucks a year, it seems to be a way to go unless one has multiple sports interests, all of which require a hundred bucks (ish) a year.

I'm getting very close to jettisoning my cable TV: Comcast just jacked up our rates again: 3rd time in less than 12 months. I'll keep their DSL, though...