Droid X

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
not4u13

Droid X

Post by not4u13 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:51 am

Picked up this phone from Verizon yesterday and so far I must say I am VERY impressed!
Stunning screen, good battery life (so far ... for a smart phone) and nice performance. This thing does HD video (720P) and has an 8MP camera too.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

SoMelo

Re: Droid X

Post by SoMelo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:50 am

not4u13 wrote:Picked up this phone from Verizon yesterday and so far I must say I am VERY impressed!
Stunning screen, good battery life (so far ... for a smart phone) and nice performance. This thing does HD video (720P) and has an 8MP camera too.
I just ordered the 4G Thunderbolt... I've had the Droid Increible for the last year. For the most part it's a good phone, just had typical issues with it (battery life and over-heating)

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:34 am

SoMelo wrote: I just ordered the 4G Thunderbolt... I've had the Droid Increible for the last year. For the most part it's a good phone, just had typical issues with it (battery life and over-heating)
Thunderbolt's good just make sure you get a good app killer.

I can't stand nonphysical keyboards though so I'm sticking with Droid 2 probably.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:41 am

not4u13 wrote:Picked up this phone from Verizon yesterday and so far I must say I am VERY impressed!
Been thinking about this phone. Hope you post after a couple of weeks of use.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:53 am

Notorious wrote: Thunderbolt's good just make sure you get a good app killer.

I can't stand nonphysical keyboards though so I'm sticking with Droid 2 probably.
For sure on the app killer.. It's the only way I stopped a program that was causing my phone to over-heat (the HTC logo melted off). I also don't like the pre-loaded apps you can't remove.
I wasn't sure if I would like the keyboard, but I got used to it after a few months and it is a lot lighter than my sons Droid 2 Global

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:20 am

I really thought a physical keyboard was a must have for me too, until I made the jump and started using this virtual keyboard. Turns out it is pretty easy to get used to and actually much more convenient. No more sliding the phone open to type a couple of characters. Much easier to do with one hand.

I don't think the battery would get me through a whole day without a charge, but I haven't done anything to optimize battery use either (such as dim the screen).

I've been a Palm OS user for the past year and I must say I am very impressed with the Android OS. What I'm told is that most Android phones do not have voice dialing. I also didn't have this with my Palm, but I'm happy to report that voice dialing does work well with my BlueAnt z9i bluetooth headset.

I've also synched it with my Motorola S9 stereo headset and listened to Pandora stream music. I've also plugged it into the audio jack of my car and listened to Pandora that way as well. This works very well and when a call came in I was able to tap my bluetooth and it interupted Pandora to take the call, just like you would expect.

The digital camera is nice too and it has a pretty bright flash. The few pictures I've taken so far have turned out great. You can use the volume keys to get a digital zoom but as with most digital zoom features, the image becomes grainy pretty fast.

This thing is pretty big too. That size is very nice but is a little bit of a problem to handle and carry. It makes it a little difficult to use with one hand. If you've got small hands, you may want a device with a smaller form factor.

I'll give another report in a few days. I won't go much into all the apps and stuff since most people understand what's available with the Android OS. I also don't like the fact that you can't remove the preinstalled apps. Especially those that expire after a trial period.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 am

not4u13 wrote:I really thought a physical keyboard was a must have for me too, until I made the jump and started using this virtual keyboard. Turns out it is pretty easy to get used to and actually much more convenient. No more sliding the phone open to type a couple of characters. Much easier to do with one hand.

I don't think the battery would get me through a whole day without a charge, but I haven't done anything to optimize battery use either (such as dim the screen).

I've been a Palm OS user for the past year and I must say I am very impressed with the Android OS. What I'm told is that most Android phones do not have voice dialing. I also didn't have this with my Palm, but I'm happy to report that voice dialing does work well with my BlueAnt z9i bluetooth headset.

I've also synched it with my Motorola S9 stereo headset and listened to Pandora stream music. I've also plugged it into the audio jack of my car and listened to Pandora that way as well. This works very well and when a call came in I was able to tap my bluetooth and it interupted Pandora to take the call, just like you would expect.

The digital camera is nice too and it has a pretty bright flash. The few pictures I've taken so far have turned out great. You can use the volume keys to get a digital zoom but as with most digital zoom features, the image becomes grainy pretty fast.

This thing is pretty big too. That size is very nice but is a little bit of a problem to handle and carry. It makes it a little difficult to use with one hand. If you've got small hands, you may want a device with a smaller form factor.

I'll give another report in a few days. I won't go much into all the apps and stuff since most people understand what's available with the Android OS. I also don't like the fact that you can't remove the preinstalled apps. Especially those that expire after a trial period.
The Scrabble app made my phone crash, fortunately the only thing I lost were all of my text messages and I had to reload the apps I use. I get my Thunderbolt tomorrow (unless I can talk Fed-Ex into letting me pick it up from their facility today)

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:11 am

I'm still tinkering with the interface and working to find applications that I want/need. I've noticed a few things that are a little annoying, but nothing that I've been really upset about.

1) The interface sometimes appears to hang for a few seconds. The manual suggests that you turn off the device each day for a couple of minutes for best results. I haven't done that and with all the apps I've loaded, tried and unloaded, perhaps I should.
2) I don't like the sort order for pictures. It always shows the oldest first. I have transferred my pictures from previous devices to my phone so some of them are actually a few years old (remember when you used to keep pictures of your kids in your wallet ... my phone has replaced all that). I want the newest first. I've searched a few forums and there doesn't seem to be a "fix" for that. I'm not sure if this is the motoblur interface or an android OS issue.
3) The WiFi is not as robust as my Palm was, but it's still good. The Palm handled WiFi drops without any noticable issues, seamlessly transferring between 3G and WiFi. This device sometimes throws errors if it was using WiFi and has to switch to 3G due to a signal drop. A simple retry solves the problem.
4) I'm not completely happy with the way Notifications work. They show up on the top bar and there is an external light that slowly fades on and off as a reminder. Nice. Except I sometimes get new mail and can read it in my inbox without a notification flag. I've even seen the notification flag show up *after* I've already read the messge. I think this is a factor of having poor 3G coverage in the office where I work. I can read e-mail over the WiFi but it doesn't appear that the notifications check works over WiFi. It seems to expect 3G. This makes some sense as text messaging does not work over WiFi, nor do calls. That's something I suppose I'll eventually get used to.

In all though a very solid performer. This is my first Android OS device so I'm not sure how many of the things I'm experiencing are unique to the phone vs. common to the Android OS. As for the hardware and form factor, I'm VERY happy with that. It's surprising light for its size owing to not having a physical keyboard and the few buttons that do exist are well placed and unobtrusive. The only possible exception is the power button. It is located at the top in the middle and I'd prefer to have it more to the right. Being in the middle works well for lefties I suppose, but reaching to the middle with one hand to tap the button is a little annoying.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:27 am

not4u13 wrote:I'm still tinkering with the interface and working to find applications that I want/need. I've noticed a few things that are a little annoying, but nothing that I've been really upset about.

1) The interface sometimes appears to hang for a few seconds. The manual suggests that you turn off the device each day for a couple of minutes for best results. I haven't done that and with all the apps I've loaded, tried and unloaded, perhaps I should.
2) I don't like the sort order for pictures. It always shows the oldest first. I have transferred my pictures from previous devices to my phone so some of them are actually a few years old (remember when you used to keep pictures of your kids in your wallet ... my phone has replaced all that). I want the newest first. I've searched a few forums and there doesn't seem to be a "fix" for that. I'm not sure if this is the motoblur interface or an android OS issue.
3) The WiFi is not as robust as my Palm was, but it's still good. The Palm handled WiFi drops without any noticable issues, seamlessly transferring between 3G and WiFi. This device sometimes throws errors if it was using WiFi and has to switch to 3G due to a signal drop. A simple retry solves the problem.
4) I'm not completely happy with the way Notifications work. They show up on the top bar and there is an external light that slowly fades on and off as a reminder. Nice. Except I sometimes get new mail and can read it in my inbox without a notification flag. I've even seen the notification flag show up *after* I've already read the messge. I think this is a factor of having poor 3G coverage in the office where I work. I can read e-mail over the WiFi but it doesn't appear that the notifications check works over WiFi. It seems to expect 3G. This makes some sense as text messaging does not work over WiFi, nor do calls. That's something I suppose I'll eventually get used to.

In all though a very solid performer. This is my first Android OS device so I'm not sure how many of the things I'm experiencing are unique to the phone vs. common to the Android OS. As for the hardware and form factor, I'm VERY happy with that. It's surprising light for its size owing to not having a physical keyboard and the few buttons that do exist are well placed and unobtrusive. The only possible exception is the power button. It is located at the top in the middle and I'd prefer to have it more to the right. Being in the middle works well for lefties I suppose, but reaching to the middle with one hand to tap the button is a little annoying.
2. When you open the photo gallery set it to "grid view", it is still oldest first but it's easier to find the photo you want.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:00 am

I got my 4G Thunderbolt yesterday. It is amazingly FAST. It's 2oz heavier and about 1/2" larger than my Incredible which along with power button and volume control on the opposite sides, it will take a little while to get use to.
Right now I'll give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 am

This post is from my droidx. I thought I would need a real keyboard but I am finding that getting used to the virtual keyboard is easier than I thought. I added corporate emai and calendar yesterday and am still very pleased overall. I am still playing with the widgets to get my screens to display what I want. The hardware is pretty solid though and I remain impressed. I am not having near the issue with battery life that I did with my palm pre.

I am also pleased enough with the performance that I don't think I will miss the 4g speed of the thunderbolt. A few people here at the office have them and they are clearly faster but most of what I do can be done with acceptable speeds over 3g.
My next attempt will be to figure out if I can drive a powerpoint presentation from this device over its hdmi port. To me, that would be super cool.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 am

Best thing about the thunderbolt vs the droid x is the thunderbolt can go online while on the phone which if you're a verizon customer you know is a pain in the butt when your phone can't do that.

Not sure if I should get the thunderbolt or wait for a droid 3 to hit. Upgrade isn't until December (I'm still rocking the original Droid).
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:58 am

Notorious wrote:Best thing about the thunderbolt vs the droid x is the thunderbolt can go online while on the phone which if you're a verizon customer you know is a pain in the butt when your phone can't do that.

Not sure if I should get the thunderbolt or wait for a droid 3 to hit. Upgrade isn't until December (I'm still rocking the original Droid).
You should wait, Verizon said they are coming out with 10 4G products this year. I'm not sure why (and I'm not asking) but they let me upgrade 8 months early

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Notorious wrote:Best thing about the thunderbolt vs the droid x is the thunderbolt can go online while on the phone which if you're a verizon customer you know is a pain in the butt when your phone can't do that.

I don't make many phone calls anymore so this hasn't been an issue for me at all. Mostly I use facebook or testing or email. I haven't tried facebook chat using my phone yet but it is supposedly supported on the facebook android client.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:54 pm

hey, Melo ... could you do something else in your sig line other than that active obnoxious .gif?

Please?

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:20 pm

Hey Mello: I really dig your little potlicker sig. Nice. :thumbsup:

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 pm

crayegg wrote:Hey Mello: I really dig your little potlicker sig. Nice. :thumbsup:
Why thank you Mr. Crayegg :cheers:

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:01 pm

It's been a few weeks now with my new Droid X and I still really like it.

First a few quirks I've noticed.

1) A number of people are frustrated with the MotoBlur system. I don't. It works well enough for me. But I've never used pure android either. Bottom line is that I've been able to do everything I want and there are even a few neat widgets that seem to be unique to the MotoBlur interface. But it does mean there are some apps that are not available because they are not compatible with motoblur, at least so I'm told. I have yet to be told about any app that anyone else is using on Android that is not also available on motoblur. Then again, I don't root my system.

2) Battery life is still a but spotty. The power-up sequence tends to use a lot of battery. You are better off turning the device onto airplane mode when you start to get low than to turn the system off.

3) I have a tendancy to accidently touch some of the things on the touch screen when inserting and removing the device from the media-dock. The touch screen is really sensetive. I have even launched an app just hovering my finger very close to the screen. Then again, this device is all screen, which is very cool too.

4) The HDMI port only works in certain circumstances. You can't route a youtube video or netflix movie from this device to the HDMI port. Anything you create with your phone or transfer to your phone from another source, can be played through the HDMI port.

Now for the good news.

Battery life has been very good. I do find that the original version of angry birds tends to drain the battery more than the Angry Birds Rio app. This is clearly an application issue. I spent 12 hours at Disneland and was able to start with a full battery, take a few pictures, do some facebook status updates, handle several text messages take two phone calls and end the day with 15% battery remaining. It required attention to get through the whole day. I had to shut down my bluetooth and wireless as well as the refresh, but those are all things I can turn on/off with the touch of an onscreen widget.

I still really love the vibrant screen.

The camera is very good in most cases. It is at least as good as your typical mid-range point-n-shoot. It doesn't compare to the better cameras though because for a good camera, it's all in the lens.

The Google navigation turned out to come in real handy on my recent trip out of state. Sure, in-car navigation is very nice but when you're in a rental car it is much better to use a navagation system you are used to. If you know where you are going you can program it all in ahead of time and use it just like a nav system. Plus, it overlays traffic and not all nav systems to that. Oh, and yes, it is voice aware. I plugged the aux jack into the car to play my tunes and the voice activated nav interupted the music, gave me the voice directions and then returned me to the music, just like a fully integrated in-car nav system. Sometimes I had to remind myself that this is my phone.

Being that the phone is a 3G phone, any phone call interrupted the navigation. The Thunderbolt promises to take the call without interruption to your internet connection. I haven't noticed much of a need for that, even with the navigation interruption.

The owners manual recommends that you power off the system every day or so and I concur. I have had some problems with the system freezing occasionally and then rebooting. When I finally just shut it off and turned it back on, there were several software updates available, including Google Maps, and I haven't had that a real problem since.

I've talked to three other people in my office that have the same phone and have had for a few months time. The hardware is very durable, the screen is great and with the gorilla glass and a screen protector, no scratching problems.

System performance is sometimes a little slow. I think I'd prefer a 4G phone if I could get one with decent battery life. It doesn't matter how fast a phone goes when the battery is dead and everyone I've talked to who has a 4G has more problems with battery life that I care to put up with.

I would recommend investing in an upgraded SD card at time of purchase, especially if you want to use the phone as a music and media player. 2GB is standard and it could really use an upgrade.

I prefer this device over an iPhone, hands down. If you can stay plugged in or charge frequently, get the 4G phone. If you're on the go and not near power often, you'll want to wait until the battery life improves. Don't get this if you expect to use it as your media player through the HDMI port. But if you want to take quick home movies, an occasional snapshot or uploads to facebook or youtube, this is a nice device for that.

Hope this helps.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:40 am

4g is awesome but it isn't available everywhere yet. I'm in Georgia right now running on 3g and it is sloooooow.

RPW

Post by RPW » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:48 am

The Droid X will be discountinued very soon to make way for 4G. Verizon has announced that by the end of the year 9 new Android operating systems will be released.
I am The Voice of Reason