New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12520
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Vilepagan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:40 am

The evidence for Climate Change mounts.

London (CNN) -- An independent study of global temperature records has reaffirmed previous conclusions by climate scientists that global warming is real.

The new analysis by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project examined 1.6 billion temperature reports from 15 data archives stretching back over 200 years in an effort to address scientific concerns raised by climate skeptics about the data used to inform reports published by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Researchers found "reliable evidence" of a rise in average world land temperatures of one degrees Celsius -- or 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit -- since the mid-1950s.

"Our biggest surprise was that the new results agreed so closely with the warming values published previously by other teams in the United States and the UK," professor Richard A. Muller, Berkeley Earth's scientific director said in a statement.

"This confirms that these studies were done carefully and that potential biases identified by climate change skeptics did not seriously affect their conclusions," Muller added.


(more)

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/21/world ... al/?hpt=T2
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:04 am

Vilepagan wrote:The evidence for Climate Change mounts.

London (CNN) -- An independent study of global temperature records has reaffirmed previous conclusions by climate scientists that global warming is real.

The new analysis by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project examined 1.6 billion temperature reports from 15 data archives stretching back over 200 years in an effort to address scientific concerns raised by climate skeptics about the data used to inform reports published by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Researchers found "reliable evidence" of a rise in average world land temperatures of one degrees Celsius -- or 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit -- since the mid-1950s.

"Our biggest surprise was that the new results agreed so closely with the warming values published previously by other teams in the United States and the UK," professor Richard A. Muller, Berkeley Earth's scientific director said in a statement.

"This confirms that these studies were done carefully and that potential biases identified by climate change skeptics did not seriously affect their conclusions," Muller added.


(more)

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/21/world ... al/?hpt=T2

Whereas I know there are people that are skeptical of the fact that the earth is warming, I think that most of the reasonable skeptics are skeptical of the effect that humans have on the temperature of the earth, and this report clearly states no further evidence of that.

Muller conceded that the study's remit did not extend to questions about how much warming has been influenced by human activity.

"It's a very interesting piece of research," said David Whitehouse, science advisor to the Global Warming Policy Foundation -- a charity set up by former UK government finance minister and vocal critic of climate change policy, Nigel Lawson.

"But it's not the main question that skeptics are talking about. The important question is what is the mixture of natural and human-induced effects that contribute to that warming?" Whitehouse said.

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

Biscuit
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Biscuit » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:51 pm

NASA had confirmed that "global warming" was happening by doing some tests involving satellites. However, when they tested the surface temperature of the other planets in our star system, they had noted that the temps had all risen at the same rate.

The Obama Admin. did'nt like that study, and shortly afterwards, Obama dismantled NASA entirely.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by GOODave » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:30 am

Vilepagan wrote:The evidence for Climate Change mounts.

London (CNN) -- An independent study of global temperature records has reaffirmed previous conclusions by climate scientists that global warming is real.

The new analysis by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project examined 1.6 billion temperature reports from 15 data archives stretching back over 200 years in an effort to address scientific concerns raised by climate skeptics about the data used to inform reports published by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Researchers found "reliable evidence" of a rise in average world land temperatures of one degrees Celsius -- or 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit -- since the mid-1950s.

"Our biggest surprise was that the new results agreed so closely with the warming values published previously by other teams in the United States and the UK," professor Richard A. Muller, Berkeley Earth's scientific director said in a statement.

"This confirms that these studies were done carefully and that potential biases identified by climate change skeptics did not seriously affect their conclusions," Muller added.


(more)

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/21/world ... al/?hpt=T2
Since you only post an article, without any opinion about it, I have to wonder what your point is:

We have, for many years, acknowledged that the temperature around the world is rising minimally. What all the fuss and bluster has been over (as AIYK has said), is all the nonsensical steps being taken by the rockheads who believe it's primarily man's fault.

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Troglodyte » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 am

It's probably a good thing we didn't have all these "experts" around during the "little ice age (1300-1850)"
Or in 1883 when Karakatoa caused another major temperature change.. The panic would have been more devastating. #-o
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by kramer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:59 am

Vilepagan wrote:The evidence for Climate Change mounts.

London (CNN) -- An independent study of global temperature records has reaffirmed previous conclusions by climate scientists that global warming is real.

The new analysis by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project examined 1.6 billion temperature reports from 15 data archives stretching back over 200 years in an effort to address scientific concerns raised by climate skeptics about the data used to inform reports published by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Researchers found "reliable evidence" of a rise in average world land temperatures of one degrees Celsius -- or 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit -- since the mid-1950s.

"Our biggest surprise was that the new results agreed so closely with the warming values published previously by other teams in the United States and the UK," professor Richard A. Muller, Berkeley Earth's scientific director said in a statement.

"This confirms that these studies were done carefully and that potential biases identified by climate change skeptics did not seriously affect their conclusions," Muller added.


(more)

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/21/world ... al/?hpt=T2
Scientist who said climate change sceptics had been proved wrong accused of hiding truth by colleague

...a leading member of Prof Muller’s team has accused him of trying to mislead the public by hiding the fact that BEST’s research shows global warming has stopped.

Prof Judith Curry, who chairs the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at America’s prestigious Georgia Institute of Technology, said that Prof Muller’s claim that he has proven global warming sceptics wrong was also a ‘huge mistake’, with no scientific basis.

Prof Curry is a distinguished climate researcher with more than 30 years experience and the second named co- author of the BEST project’s four research papers.

Her comments, in an exclusive interview with The Mail on Sunday, seem certain to ignite a furious academic row. She said this affair had to be compared to the notorious ‘Climategate’ scandal two years ago.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by GOODave » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:12 am

I'd like to get pagan's perspective on all this ... but maybe he's just snowed in without electricity...

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12520
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:52 am

GOODave wrote:I'd like to get pagan's perspective on all this ... but maybe he's just snowed in without electricity...
My perspective is that science will answer the question adequately. Opinions are nice, and relevant in formulating policy, but relatively meaningless when attempting to determine the nature of reality.

I think the facts clearly indicate that climate change is taking place, and I think it's absurd to think humans have had no negative effects on the process. IMO, the possible consequences of doing nothing outweigh the financial or economic costs of proposed solutions, and the suggestion that we can't afford to do anything until we're absolutely sure of exactly how much we're to blame and how much is just the normal cyclical changes our climate undergoes is short-sighted, and based primarily on greed.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by GOODave » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:10 am

Vilepagan wrote:
My perspective is that science will answer the question adequately. Opinions are nice, and relevant in formulating policy, but relatively meaningless when attempting to determine the nature of reality.

I think the facts clearly indicate that climate change is taking place, and I think it's absurd to think humans have had no negative effects on the process. IMO, the possible consequences of doing nothing outweigh the financial or economic costs of proposed solutions, and the suggestion that we can't afford to do anything until we're absolutely sure of exactly how much we're to blame and how much is just the normal cyclical changes our climate undergoes is short-sighted, and based primarily on greed.
The above opinion, in MY opinion, is archaic and misdirected and woefully uninformed in terms of what is being (and has been) discussed on this topic, to wit:
  1. The facts DO and have "clearly indicated" climate change is taking place and no one of any repute is arguing that it is not. As stated previously, the argument is around how much of the fault for it lies at the feet of mankind;
  2. It IS absurd to think humans have had no impact on the process: Humans have had a demonstrable and repeatable and observable impact on global warming, er, "climate change." What is under argument is HOW MUCH of the fault lies at our feet. As Kramer has pointed out time and again, the actual evidence points to "not very much of it." Interestingly, any time Kramer shows an article pointing to humans LIMITED contribution to "climate change" someone always trots in here like a puppy with a prized lizard in its jaws to argue that Climage Change is proven to be happening.
  3. Finally, many of us have argued in here and elsewhere that we should, nevertheless, be good stewards of the resources we have and few, if any, have argued that we should do NOTHING. Closest those arguments have come have been about over-weighting the United States' contribution to the programs and giving other countries a bye. Personally, I don't want the United States paying for the attempt to clean up what is a GLOBAL problem and giving underdeveloped countries like China a pass.
Thank you for your opinion, finally, but I think you're out to lunch on this one and mostly given to hyperbole and/or inaccuracies.

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Troglodyte » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:27 am

I agree that science will answer the question of man's involvement in GW, and how much, if any, eventually..
However, that hasn't been answered yet.. And to propose "cures" without having clearly definined the problem is ridiculous. The call doing something now, "before it's too late", is a blatent attempt to seize power and tax money. How many "tipping points" have already passed without "dire" consequences??
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Red » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:43 am

Vilepagan wrote:The evidence for Climate Change mounts.

London (CNN) -- An independent study of global temperature records has reaffirmed previous conclusions by climate scientists that global warming is real.

The new analysis by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project examined 1.6 billion temperature reports from 15 data archives stretching back over 200 years in an effort to address scientific concerns raised by climate skeptics about the data used to inform reports published by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Researchers found "reliable evidence" of a rise in average world land temperatures of one degrees Celsius -- or 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit -- since the mid-1950s.

"Our biggest surprise was that the new results agreed so closely with the warming values published previously by other teams in the United States and the UK," professor Richard A. Muller, Berkeley Earth's scientific director said in a statement.

"This confirms that these studies were done carefully and that potential biases identified by climate change skeptics did not seriously affect their conclusions," Muller added.


(more)

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/21/world ... al/?hpt=T2
I think the people in the Northeast would disagree. But then again, most of them are dumb liberals and pretty gullible.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by GOODave » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:57 pm

Troglodyte wrote:I agree that science will answer the question of man's involvement in GW, and how much, if any, eventually..
However, that hasn't been answered yet.. And to propose "cures" without having clearly definined the problem is ridiculous. The call doing something now, "before it's too late", is a blatent attempt to seize power and tax money. How many "tipping points" have already passed without "dire" consequences??
I also agree with Trog's point, here: Let's figure out, FIRST, what we have done to further it and, then, what we can do to help mitigate it.

However, keeping in mind that it is nevertheless everybody's job to "not pollute" or whatever the new buzz phrase is for minding our resources responsibly.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by GOODave » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:29 am

--:--

wonder where everyone went...

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Troglodyte » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:33 am

GOODave wrote:--:--

wonder where everyone went...
They're scrambling for Mother Jones mags looking for a rebutal... :lol:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by GOODave » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Troglodyte wrote: They're scrambling for Mother Jones mags looking for a rebutal... :lol:
Yeah, probably ... never thinking for a moment that I was already there ahead of 'em...

:thumbsup:

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by kramer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:48 am

Vilepagan wrote:The evidence for Climate Change mounts.

London (CNN) -- An independent study of global temperature records has reaffirmed previous conclusions by climate scientists that global warming is real.

The new analysis by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project examined 1.6 billion temperature reports from 15 data archives stretching back over 200 years in an effort to address scientific concerns raised by climate skeptics about the data used to inform reports published by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Researchers found "reliable evidence" of a rise in average world land temperatures of one degrees Celsius -- or 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit -- since the mid-1950s.

"Our biggest surprise was that the new results agreed so closely with the warming values published previously by other teams in the United States and the UK," professor Richard A. Muller, Berkeley Earth's scientific director said in a statement.

"This confirms that these studies were done carefully and that potential biases identified by climate change skeptics did not seriously affect their conclusions," Muller added.


(more)

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/21/world ... al/?hpt=T2

Speaking of Berzerkely Earth:

"I certainly feel that there is lots of room for skepticism on the human component of warming"
- Richard Muller, from a Nov 3, 2011 Huffington Post article
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by GOODave » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:21 am

kramer wrote:
Speaking of Berzerkely Earth:

"I certainly feel that there is lots of room for skepticism on the human component of warming"
- Richard Muller, from a Nov 3, 2011 Huffington Post article
Save your breath, Kramer: They've given up.

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Red » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:37 am

Vilepagan wrote:
My perspective is that science will answer the question adequately. Opinions are nice, and relevant in formulating policy, but relatively meaningless when attempting to determine the nature of reality.

I think the facts clearly indicate that climate change is taking place, and I think it's absurd to think humans have had no negative effects on the process. IMO, the possible consequences of doing nothing outweigh the financial or economic costs of proposed solutions, and the suggestion that we can't afford to do anything until we're absolutely sure of exactly how much we're to blame and how much is just the normal cyclical changes our climate undergoes is short-sighted, and based primarily on greed.
So we agree on the green whore gore! :mrgreen:
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:44 am

Red wrote:
So we agree on the green whore gore! :mrgreen:
Can you read a fahrenheit thermometer, Red? :mrgreen:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Red » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:47 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Can you read a fahrenheit thermometer, Red? :mrgreen:
Yeah, it's pretty cold.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Post Reply