New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
Parrotpaul

Re: New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:51 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Can you read a fahrenheit thermometer, Red? :mrgreen:
Red wrote: Yeah, it's pretty cold.
Wet out here at THHS.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:38 am

Interesting Op Ed in the WSJ on an evaluation of the Berkeley study.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... TTopBucket
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

kramer

Post by kramer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:07 pm

Vilepagan wrote:The evidence for Climate Change mounts.

London (CNN) -- An independent study of global temperature records has reaffirmed previous conclusions by climate scientists that global warming is real.

The new analysis by the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project examined 1.6 billion temperature reports from 15 data archives stretching back over 200 years in an effort to address scientific concerns raised by climate skeptics about the data used to inform reports published by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Researchers found "reliable evidence" of a rise in average world land temperatures of one degrees Celsius -- or 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit -- since the mid-1950s.

"Our biggest surprise was that the new results agreed so closely with the warming values published previously by other teams in the United States and the UK," professor Richard A. Muller, Berkeley Earth's scientific director said in a statement.

"This confirms that these studies were done carefully and that potential biases identified by climate change skeptics did not seriously affect their conclusions," Muller added.

(more)

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/21/world ... al/?hpt=T2

Hmmm, looks like the leader of this study, Richard Muller, is "president and chief scientist of Muller & Associates" which helps "businesses make profitable investments in alternative energy."

Conflict of interest comes to mind...
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Luca

Post by Luca » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Does anyone out there actually know if global warming, iinsofar as it exists, is actually a bad thing?....Luca

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Luca wrote:Does anyone out there actually know if global warming, iinsofar as it exists, is actually a bad thing?....Luca
It is if the earth's warming increases too rapidly, evolution takes time/generations to catch up with environment.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:34 am

Luca wrote:Does anyone out there actually know if global warming, iinsofar as it exists, is actually a bad thing?....Luca
No. IMHO, it may in fact be a good thing.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:35 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
Please explain.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:37 am

Parrotpaul wrote: Please explain.
History shows that during the middle ages, there was a period of significant warming of the planet. In Europe, that was a very prosperous time.

As such, no one has been able to show that an age of warming will cause significant issues. The sea level rising has been pretty much debunked, as well as the "increase in storm activity".
Jonathan Swift

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:41 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
Parrotpaul wrote: Please explain.
AsIfYouKnew wrote:History shows that during the middle ages, there was a period of significant warming of the planet. In Europe, that was a very prosperous time.

As such, no one has been able to show that an age of warming will cause significant issues. The sea level rising has been pretty much debunked, as well as the "increase in storm activity".
OK...but you said you see global warming as a good thing...you didn't explain why you think it is a good thing.

Could you do that, please? Thanks.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:47 am

Ferns love it and so do people with naturally curly hair (who want to leave it that way). :)

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 am

Parrotpaul wrote:

OK...but you said you see global warming as a good thing...you didn't explain why you think it is a good thing.

Did you read the first sentence of my response?

the warm period during the middle ages was a very prosperous time. further, it would likely have a similar effect on our environemnt, dramatically increasing the growing season in northen states and canada.

clear enough?
Jonathan Swift

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:50 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote:

the warm period during the middle ages was a very prosperous time. further, it would likely have a similar effect on our environemnt, dramatically increasing the growing season in northen states and canada.

clear enough?
In point of fact, all of the Illinois Farmers are already putting seeds in the ground: An activity usually reserved for after Mother's day.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 am

Parrotpaul wrote:

AsIfYouKnew wrote: Did you read the first sentence of my response?

clear enough?
No. But perhaps if you made some connection of that "prosperous period" with global warming being the cause it might become clearer. You have made some general statement about a time hundereds of years ago with nothing to support your contention....not a great way to make your case...because you say it, doesn't make it so.

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 am

Parrotpaul wrote:

No. But perhaps if you made some connection of that "prosperous period" with global warming being the cause it might become clearer. You have made some general statement about a time hundereds of years ago with nothing to support your contention....not a great way to make your case...because you say it, doesn't make it so.
Paul, anyone that has looked at this data acknowledges that there was a period of significant warming centuries ago, and that it was also a very prosperous time in Europe. If you want to engage in a pedantic argument, please go elsewhere.
Jonathan Swift

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:12 am

Parrotpaul wrote:

AsIfYouKnew wrote:Paul, anyone that has looked at this data acknowledges that there was a period of significant warming centuries ago, and that it was also a very prosperous time in Europe. If you want to engage in a pedantic argument, please go elsewhere.
You made the statement...I didn't.

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:14 am

Parrotpaul wrote:

You made the statement...I didn't.
I felt my allusion was easily interpreted. You asked what I meant. I explained it.

If you need me to start answering at a lower grade level so that you can follow it better, please advise. :mrgreen:
Jonathan Swift

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:55 pm

AsIfYouKnew wrote:

clear enough?
It was to me. :D
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: No. But perhaps if you made some connection of that "prosperous period" with global warming being the cause it might become clearer.
The Medieval Warm Period was a period of global warming back around a thousand or so years ago. Now we're in another period (at least up to the year 2000) of global warming.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:07 pm

There's no cause and effect is the point without evidence, just because 2 things happened (warming and prosperous, although I think you need to define prosperous, and look at the whole world not just limited to Europe) does not mean they are connected.

It's specious reasoning unless evidence is provided, not that it was warmer or that it was prosperous but rather how the 2 are connected.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch