This will creep you out

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
Vilepagan

This will creep you out

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:35 am

As they say, "truth is stranger than fiction"...

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

GOODave

Re: This will creep you out

Post by GOODave » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 am

No word on whether or not Cordyceps attacks humans, though?

I found that fascinating.

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:23 am

GOODave wrote:No word on whether or not Cordyceps attacks humans, though?

It does or at least a similar strain. I reported to you guys a couple of years ago about a friend that had contracted a brain fungus that only a handful of people had been diagnosed with but all with in a short period of time. It totally debilitated her she was on and off in research hospitals so they could study her, she's much better now but still not right. Researchers somehow tied the fungus to the eucalyptus tree??? Other theories tie it to ta da...global warming.Or at least that's the word we got at the time. Al Gore's name never came up. This is a cousin to the new strain that's infecting humans

http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/cryptococcosis/

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:50 pm

GOODave wrote:No word on whether or not Cordyceps attacks humans, though?
Egad, I hope not.
On many levels. I'm curious how the healthy ants knew that the infected ones were infected...did they notice the other ant was acting strangely or what? Maybe they smell funny...

If you liked that, you'll probably like the zombie snails whose brains are taken over and then they're forced to make themselves into bird bait. Kind of disgusting though, so you may not want to watch this if you're eating. ;)

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:28 am

Vilepagan wrote:
Egad, I hope not.

On many levels. I'm curious how the healthy ants knew that the infected ones were infected...did they notice the other ant was acting strangely or what? Maybe they smell funny...

If you liked that, you'll probably like the zombie snails whose brains are taken over and then they're forced to make themselves into bird bait. Kind of disgusting though, so you may not want to watch this if you're eating. ;)

Weird.