The Asian Carp Invasion

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
GOODave

The Asian Carp Invasion

Post by GOODave » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:06 am

Midwesterners are slowly getting over the increasing presence of Asian Carp in our waterways.

Introduced in the 70's, down south, as a control for the pond-scum in the Catfish farms, the floods in the 80's transitioned them into the rivers and streams and, by now, they're fighting their way up the Mississippi. I'm sure you've seen the footage of the boat going down the river and the fish getting so agitated at the motor that they leap out of the water ... often right into the boat? Well, those are Asian Carp.

NPR has a good article on how this "problem" came to be.

Like I said, our perception of the invasion as a "problem" is winding down as more and more are starting to think of ways to capitalize on their presence.

One local group is building a plant near the Illinois River (that flows into the Mississippi) to process the fish, turn them into food, and ship it off to China.

I think the NPR article notes a suggestion that they be turned into prison food.

What ideas do you have for uses for Asian Carp?

oceanvue

Re: The Asian Carp Invasion

Post by oceanvue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:51 am

cat food, fertilizer and omega 3 vitimins

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:58 am

oceanvue wrote:cat food, fertilizer and omega 3 vitimins
I wasn't sure they are a good source for Omega 3. If so, then that idea about using them for prison food would be ideal. Nothing better'n a bunch of seriously heart-healthy cons.

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:00 am

Joke: What's the difference between a carp and an Italian grand mother?

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:01 am

oceanvue wrote:Joke: What's the difference between a carp and an Italian grand mother?
you can bleach the grandmother's mustache?

:shrug:

I give

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:45 am

let's see if I remember it right...one has whiskers and smells, and the other????

....oh yea, and the other's a fish

seeinred

Post by seeinred » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:55 am

I know that would be my wife's worst nightmare to be boating up the river and have a 20 pound carp come flying out of the water and landing on her. She would freak the ef out!!!!! :hide:

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:08 am

early 70's when Catalina was over abundant with flying fish it wasn't unusual for one to hit a passenger in the back of our whaler. I never did but I've had several whiz past me. You could get clucked pretty good

seeinred

Post by seeinred » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 am

oceanvue wrote:early 70's when Catalina was over abundant with flying fish it wasn't unusual for one to hit a passenger in the back of our whaler. I never did but I've had several whiz past me. You could get clucked pretty good
I did that when I was a young lad with my family... The peir on Catalina used to have flying fish watching trips at dusk. My family took me out on one of those trips. I remember seeing tons of them.
FYI for you fishermen, When the flying fish start showing up in large numbers (usually in the late-summer months during an El-Nino year) that is PRIME marlin fishing time!!!! Marlin LOVE flying fish!!!

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:32 am

oceanvue wrote:early 70's when Catalina was over abundant with flying fish it wasn't unusual for one to hit a passenger in the back of our whaler. I never did but I've had several whiz past me. You could get clucked pretty good
On Discovery or Animal Planet there was a woman kayaking in the everglades and a barracuda flew into her back and pierced her heart

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 am

I'm more leery of sperm whales that's why I never go swimming in the ocean with cologne on. It's just asking for trouble

seeinred

Post by seeinred » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:39 am

SoMelo wrote: On Discovery or Animal Planet there was a woman kayaking in the everglades and a barracuda flew into her back and pierced her heart
That's on the same far-out and unbelievable level as Steve Irwin's death: death by giant stingray barb peircing his heart. What are the odds???? :??

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:43 am

Sell 'em to Jews...it's gefilte fish.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:46 am

seeinred wrote: That's on the same far-out and unbelievable level as Steve Irwin's death: death by giant stingray barb peircing his heart. What are the odds???? :??
Surprisingly she lived.. She was with her boyfriend and he had to communicate to the paramedics his location and they got lost and then the kayak was in a low tide area the boats couldn't get to safely.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 am

oceanvue wrote:I'm more leery of sperm whales that's why I never go swimming in the ocean with cologne on. It's just asking for trouble
It's not the cologne, per se, O'Vue: IT's your KRILL-scented cologne that draws them. Well, plus, it's you and what whale WOULDN'T be drawn to you?

:notworthy:

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:01 am

GOODave wrote: It's not the cologne, per se, O'Vue: IT's your KRILL-scented cologne that draws them. Well, plus, it's you and what whale WOULDN'T be drawn to you?

:notworthy:
good point, especially in my speedos. I mean come on, what right minded mammal wouldn't want a piece of that?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:05 am

GOODave wrote:Introduced in the 70's, down south, as a control for the pond-scum in the Catfish farms, the floods in the 80's transitioned them into the rivers and streams and, by now, they're fighting their way up the Mississippi. I'm sure you've seen the footage of the boat going down the river and the fish getting so agitated at the motor that they leap out of the water ... often right into the boat? Well, those are Asian Carp.
Scientists are concerned about that Japanese dock that just washed ashore in Oregon for the same reason. Apparently there is a lot of invasive plant and animal life on it and they're trying to scrape it and trash everything before they spread.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:12 am

oceanvue wrote:
good point, especially in my speedos. I mean come on, what right minded mammal wouldn't want a piece of that?
that's what I'M sayin' ... :shock: I put on my Speedos and a bunch of do-gooder "Save the Whale" 'wipes tried to drag me back into the ocean. :(
John Q Public wrote:Scientists are concerned about that Japanese dock that just washed ashore in Oregon for the same reason. Apparently there is a lot of invasive plant and animal life on it and they're trying to scrape it and trash everything before they spread.
That would seem to me a losing proposition: Not sure how they expect to get ahead of plant and animal life that is dependent on the tides for its movement. I would expect it has already spread ahead of the tsunami debris.

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:19 am

washed up at Agate Beach one of my old stomping grounds

Tar Pit

Post by Tar Pit » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:37 am

Have the state put a bounty of 50 cents a fish. You have hundreds of out of work kids fishing all day.

1. It takes care of the fish.
2. Keeps kids off the street.
3. Put's money back in the neighborhood.

WIN-WIN :thumbsup:

I see dead fish.
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.rebellioustruths.org/