APNewsBreak: Evidence of 'God particle' found

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
kramer

APNewsBreak: Evidence of 'God particle' found

Post by kramer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:49 pm

By JOHN HEILPRIN and SETH BORENSTEIN
Associated Press

GENEVA (AP) -- Scientists believe the "God particle" that might explain the underpinnings of the universe is real, and they are about to present their evidence to the world.

Physicists at the world's biggest atom smasher plan to announce Wednesday that they have nearly confirmed the primary plank of a theory that could shape the scientific understanding of all matter.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/ ... 2-09-27-46
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Parrotpaul

Re: APNewsBreak: Evidence of 'God particle' found

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:53 pm

I'm psyched. I hope they have something Earth-shaking...so to speak.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:12 pm

The old, elusive Higgs-bosun particle. One of the main reasons LHC was built in the first place.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:40 pm

But will it tell us what came before the singularity that became the "Big Bang?"

Too soon to tell.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Boy, that Higgs boson sure is one elusive little rascal . . . kind of like bigfoot. I'm guessing Peter Higgs is probably just as frustrated as Peter Foot at our continued inability to capture the little devil. Since it's somewhat sarcastically referred to as "the God particle", I think it would be a riot if we finally got a visual (of the boson, not bigfoot), and it turned out to be shaped like a Christian cross or the star of David. Or better yet, a middle finger.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:26 pm

I'd settle for a nekkid Kyra Sedgewick on a clamshell.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:32 pm

MDDad wrote:Boy, that Higgs boson sure is one elusive little rascal . . . kind of like bigfoot. I'm guessing Peter Higgs is probably just as frustrated as Peter Foot at our continued inability to capture the little devil. Since it's somewhat sarcastically referred to as "the God particle", I think it would be a riot if we finally got a visual (of the boson, not bigfoot), and it turned out to be shaped like a Christian cross or the star of David. Or better yet, a middle finger.
Yep, it is an elusive little rascal.

Do you know anything about neutrinos? These little guys are manufactured by the Sun and jet out in all directions, they pass right through your brain pan, go through the rest of your body, and continue on right through the Earth, and keep going out the other side of Earth without touching anything. How do they do that? Because they are very, very small.

Consider the atom, that make up everything we think of as hard and real. It has a nucleus made of proton(s), and differently charged electrons whizzing around it. That's our standard idea of an atom, a dense nucleus with bits wizzing around it. We've all seen the graphic (especially if you live near a nuclear reactor, such as San Onofre and Diablo Canyon). That is what hard things you can touch are made of, a bunch of atoms.

Now scale it up. If the nucleus/proton of an atom is the size of a quarter, the electrons wizzing around are a few miles away. That means all the stuff we think of as real, is mostly empty space. That's why a neutrino can zip through it and not touch a thing.

The theoretical Higgs-bosun particle is much, much smaller than even a neutrino. Modern physics has given us subatomic particles associated with nearly all physical properties we observe, such as light and electromagnetism. But we haven't figured out what particle gives things their mass, their gravity. We think the Higg-Bo will fit the bill but we haven't seen it. Hence the Large Hadron Collider (LHC in Cern).

Billions have been spent constructing, maintaining and operating LHC. They report they have seen the shadow of Higg-Bo, the footprint of Higg-Bo, but still haven't seen the particle itself. Strong evidence that support the mathematicians and theorists, but not actual proof. Funding is tough, it costs a lot just to maintain LHC. It may be that's as close as we can get to the "God particle" at LHC for now.

Only time will tell.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 am

crayegg wrote:They report they have seen the shadow of Higg-Bo, the footprint of Higg-Bo, but still haven't seen the particle itself.
I enjoyed your post, cray, thanks. However, this one sentence makes the Higgs boson sound even more like Bigfoot than I thought.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:19 am

What if our entire universe is just an experiment in someone else's LHC?
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:36 am

EUREKA!!!!

""We have now found the missing cornerstone of particle physics," Rolf Heuer, director of the European Center for Nuclear Research (CERN), told scientists."