6-18 million birds & bats killed by Spain wind farms yearly

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
Troglodyte

Re: 6-18 million birds & bats killed by Spain wind farms yea

Postby Troglodyte » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:11 pm

Gotta throw in a number, preferably big, in order to get attention.. Doesn't matter if it's accurate.. :wink:
Kinda like the rest of the eco-wacko's rants. Besides, once that number is in print it becomes a "fact" to base then next theory on... And it goes round and round.... :fan:

I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

kramer

Postby kramer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:53 pm

“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Boy, they're sure dialed into reality. That would be one fascinating conversation.................Luca

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:48 pm

When you look at those pictures of "Fracking = Death" and "Butterflies Against The End Of The World", doesn't it make you wonder why the OTHER side is referred to as Whackos?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Like it or hate it...all that stuff has to get to someplace for someone to buy...might as well enjoy the ride. EPD. Great ROTH IRA play...no taxes at all.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:12 pm

Geez, does this mean that when I retire I'm just gonna sit around all day watching stock prices bounce up and down?................Luca

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Of course....and always have a laptop at the ready to offer stuff to you guys. Best job I ever had....it can be very lucrative. Retired people need to be shrewd with their investments....ultimately we're all in the hands of you guys...and that's expensive. :mrgreen:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

kramer

Re: 6-18 million birds & bats killed by Spain wind farms yearly

Postby kramer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Fatalities at wind turbines may threaten population viability of a migratory bat

Abstract
Large numbers of migratory bats are killed every year at [intermittent and more expensive] wind energy facilities. However, population-level impacts are unknown as we lack basic demographic information about these species. We investigated whether fatalities at wind turbines could impact population viability of migratory bats, focusing on the hoary bat (Lasiurus cinereus), the species most frequently killed by turbines in North America. Using expert elicitation and population projection models, we show that mortality from wind turbines may drastically reduce population size and increase the risk of extinction. For example, the hoary bat population could decline by as much as 90% in the next 50 years if the initial population size is near 2.5 million bats and annual population growth rate is similar to rates estimated for other bat species (λ = 1.01). Our results suggest that wind energy development may pose a substantial threat to migratory bats in North America. If viable populations are to be sustained, conservation measures to reduce mortality from turbine collisions likely need to be initiated soon. Our findings inform policy decisions regarding preventing or mitigating impacts of energy infrastructure development on wildlife.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0716310485\

Now if you're Soros, Gore, et all and you've use similar studies in the past to block oil drilling, pipelines, fracking, etc. in order to make your renewable investments pay off faster, what do you do now?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Return to “Science and Technology”