Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by kramer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:44 pm

Climate change set to make America hotter, drier and more disaster-prone
Draft report from NCA makes clear link between climate change and extreme weather as groups urge Obama to take action
Suzanne Goldenberg, US environment correspondent
guardian.co.uk, Friday 11 January 2013 16.26 EST


. . .

But nowhere will see changes as extreme as Alaska, the report said.

"The most dramatic evidence is in Alaska, where average temperatures have increased more than twice as fast as the rest of the country," the draft report said. "Of all the climate-related changes in the US, the rapid decline of Arctic sea ice cover in the last decade may be the most striking of all."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... r-disaster

How could Suzanne Goldenberg 'overlook' the cooling in Alaska that's been happening since 2000?...:
Forget global warming, Alaska is headed for an ice age
Alex DeMarban | Dec 23, 2012

The 49th state has long been labeled one of the fastest-warming spots on the planet. But that's so 20th Century.

In the first decade since 2000, the 49th state cooled 2.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Widespread warming
That's a "large value for a decade," the Alaska Climate Research Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks said in "The First Decade of the New Century: A Cooling Trend for Most of Alaska."

The cooling is widespread -- holding true for 19 of the 20 National Weather Service stations sprinkled from one corner of Alaska to the other, the paper notes. It's most significant in Western Alaska, where King Salmon on the Alaska Peninsula saw temperatures drop most sharply, a significant 4.5 degrees for the decade, the report says.

. . .

...now comes cooling. Researchers blame the Decadal Oscillation, an ocean phenomenon that brought chillier surface water temperatures toward Alaska. Some contend the Pacific Decadal Oscillation is harming the state's king salmon runs, too. [Huh?!... What happened to the control knob's all-powerful control of the world's temperature?...]

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/f ... ed-ice-age
Whatever is happening to the world's climate, don't worry, Obama vows to take personal charge of #climate in 2nd term
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by Fordama » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:19 am

Shall I bother to point out that the NCA is using data from the last 60 years, not just the last 10?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24346
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by Wabash » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:59 am

Fordama wrote:Shall I bother to point out that the NCA is using data from the last 60 years, not just the last 10?

Fordama
There you go. Using facts again. Now you've done it.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by SoMelo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:16 am

Whoa... let me grab my bikini

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:19 am

Kramer...how long do you figure it will take before Sarah Palin will be able walk to Russia from her front porch crossing the inevitable ice bridge?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by SoMelo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:37 am

Wait... I need the fur bikini? Drat!! It's so puffy

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by kramer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:30 am

Fordama wrote:Shall I bother to point out that the NCA is using data from the last 60 years, not just the last 10?

Fordama
I highlighted the following from the second article:
"The 49th state has long been labeled one of the fastest-warming spots on the planet"

Then it goes on to say that since 2000, its been getting very cold.

I don't know about you but I think most readers here would figure out that "long been labeled" means a much longer time warming than the time it's been cooling.

Kind of surprised I had to clarify this...
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by kramer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:32 am

Wabash wrote: There you go. Using facts again. Now you've done it.
Read my previous post... :)
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by Fordama » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 pm

kramer wrote:
I highlighted the following from the second article:
"The 49th state has long been labeled one of the fastest-warming spots on the planet"

Then it goes on to say that since 2000, its been getting very cold.
"It" does not. Oh, I see, you didn't read the actual report. Never mind, I won't trouble you with facts any more in this thread.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by kramer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Fordama wrote: "It" does not. Oh, I see, you didn't read the actual report. Never mind, I won't trouble you with facts any more in this thread.

Fordama
"The 49th state has long been labeled one of the fastest-warming spots on the planet"

You can't admit I was right because you, like most other liberals suffer from the dunning kruger syndrome. So, you imply that "long been labeled" doesn't mean a long time.

Must be the 'inspiration' you liberals get on how to be truthful from Obama because Obama has never lied.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:54 am

NIce how you worked Obama into your argument...scary Negro syndrome?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24346
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by Wabash » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:31 am

Parrotpaul wrote:NIce how you worked Obama into your argument...scary Negro syndrome?
You beat me to it. Especially now that he claims he needs an assault rifle to repel the socialist government we live under.

If Obama is as socialist as folks like him claim, he's a bad one.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by kramer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:20 am

Parrotpaul wrote:NIce how you worked Obama into your argument...scary Negro syndrome?
Not as nice as to how you played the race card. Good one Paul...

I love you lefties... you say and do the darndest things.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by Fordama » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:19 pm

kramer wrote:
"The 49th state has long been labeled one of the fastest-warming spots on the planet"

You can't admit I was right because you, like most other liberals suffer from the dunning kruger syndrome. So, you imply that "long been labeled" doesn't mean a long time.

Must be the 'inspiration' you liberals get on how to be truthful from Obama because Obama has never lied.
Once again, read the actual science, not some article that a reporter wrote.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by kramer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Fordama wrote: Once again, read the actual science, not some article that a reporter wrote.

Fordama
A tune change... That's an admission that you lost the last argument.

And if you're so keen on the science, why don't you read the science and use the information in it to show me I'm wrong?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by Fordama » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:25 am

kramer wrote:
A tune change... That's an admission that you lost the last argument.

And if you're so keen on the science, why don't you read the science and use the information in it to show me I'm wrong?
Did you receive a sharp blow to the brain? I've been referencing the actual report throughout this thread. You have been hanging on the words of a reporter.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by kramer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 am

Fordama wrote: Did you receive a sharp blow to the brain? I've been referencing the actual report throughout this thread. You have been hanging on the words of a reporter.

Fordama

I highlighted the following from the second article:
"The 49th state has long been labeled one of the fastest-warming spots on the planet"

Then it goes on to say that since 2000, its been getting very cold.

I think most readers here would know that "long been labeled" means a much longer time warming than the time it's been cooling especially since it shows in the very next sentence that it's been cooling for the last 13 years.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by Fordama » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 am

kramer wrote:[
Then it goes on to say that since 2000, its been getting very cold.
"It" in my references was the actual report--which I read. You still have not grasped that concept. "It" does not say what the article says.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by kramer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 am

Fordama wrote: "It" in my references was the actual report--which I read. You still have not grasped that concept. "It" does not say what the article says.

Fordama
I "grasped" it the first time you said it. So what,--- the great Fordursky read a science report related to this thread and it said that the warming in Alaska has been going on for "60" years. I said the warming in Alaska has been gong on for a much longer time than the cooling since 2000.

Why do you have your panties in a bunch over this trivial detail?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: Alaska warmed more than 2x as fast as the US mainland

Post by Fordama » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 am

kramer wrote:
I "grasped" it the first time you said it. So what,---
Yeah, so what about the actual science that she was referencing!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Post Reply