US Scientists: Arctic summers ice-free by this year

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
kramer

US Scientists: Arctic summers ice-free by this year

Postby kramer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Arctic summers ice-free 'by 2013'
By Jonathan Amos Science reporter, BBC News, San Francisco

Scientists in the US have presented one of the most dramatic forecasts yet for the disappearance of Arctic sea ice.

. . .

"Our projection of 2013 for the removal of ice in summer is not accounting for the last two minima, in 2005 and 2007," the researcher from the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, explained to the BBC.
"So given that fact, you can argue that may be our projection of 2013 is already too conservative."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7139797.stm

I wonder how many people were needlessly scared by this prediction?

“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

kramer

Re: US Scientists: Arctic summers ice-free by this year

Postby kramer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 am

Scientists project that the Arctic will be ice-free in the summer of 2013. Not in 2050, but four years from now.

-John Kerry, August 31, 2009

Track the Arctic's death spiral to an ice-free summer in a few months here:
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:33 am

kramer wrote:I wonder how many people were needlessly scared by this prediction?

Just conservative whackaloons.

In the meantime, the news from the Arctic is not all peaches and cream, and ice.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:14 pm

kramer wrote:I wonder how many people were needlessly scared by this prediction?

Fordama wrote:Just conservative whackaloons.

That's a 100% bald-faced lie.

Why?

Most conservatives question or don't believe the scare scenarios that climate scientists predict.

Fordama wrote:In the meantime, the news from the Arctic is not all peaches and cream, and ice.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Fordama

The nsidc.org eh?...

December 12, 2007

An already relentless melting of the Arctic greatly accelerated this summer—a sign that some scientists worry could mean global warming has passed an ominous tipping point.

One scientist even speculated that summer sea ice could be gone in five years.

Greenland's ice sheet melted nearly 19 billion tons more than the previous high mark, and the volume of Arctic sea ice at summer's end was half what it was just four years ago, according to new NASA satellite data obtained by the Associated Press (AP).

"The Arctic is screaming," said Mark Serreze, senior scientist at the government's snow and ice data center [/color][/b] [NSIDC.org] in Boulder, Colorado.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -melt.html

In 2009, Francis found a correlation between low sea ice extent at the end of summer and altered storm tracks in the Northern Hemisphere in the fall. She said, “During years when there’s less ice, the temperature difference between high and mid-latitudes is weaker, which makes the jet stream weaker, which allows the storm track to meander farther south.”

http://nsidc.org/icelights/2011/04/05/w ... s-weather/

Jet Stream Antics Bring Erratic Winter Weather
- The Evening Independent - Jan 31, 1972
CO2 ppm level in 1972: about 327 ppm, well below the safe limit of 350 ppm.

“The Arctic sea ice has reached its four lowest summer extents (area covered) in the last four years,” said Mark Serreze, director of the National Snow and Ice Data Center [NSIDC.org] in the U.S. city of Boulder, Colorado.
The volume – extent and thickness – of ice left in the Arctic likely reached the lowest ever level this month, Serreze told IPS.

“I stand by my previous statements that the Arctic summer sea ice cover is in a death spiral. It’s not going to recover,” he said.

http://www.ipsnews.net/2010/09/arctic-i ... th-spiral/

So what has transpired here so far? We have somebody (Fordama) who thinks Republicans are stupid because they don't do what Democrats want even though Republicans control the House proclaiming that conservatives are the only "whackaloons" who believed these Arctic ice melting scare articles. Yet he links to a site that has it's own brand of Arctic ice scare articles.

If one used Fordama's reasoning, they'd concluded that Fordama is a whackaloon.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Impressive screed. Meaningless, but impressive.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Here, I fixed it for you...:

Fordama wrote:Impressive [glow=red]facts[/glow].

Fordama

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:43 pm

kramer wrote:Here, I fixed it for you...:

Sytheses--learn it, love it, live it.

Oh heck, look who I'm talking to--someone who doesn't even understand what the Carbon Cycle is after all these years.

Fordama

Return to “Science and Technology”