NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by kramer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:02 pm

From Soros influenced NPR:
The Inconvenient Truth About Polar Bears
by NPR STAFF
February 02, 2013

In 2008, reports of polar bears' inevitable march toward extinction gripped headlines. Stories of thinning Arctic ice and even polar bear cannibalism combined to make these predators into a powerful symbol in the debate about climate change.

The headlines caught Zac Unger's attention, and he decided to write a book about the bears.

Unger made a plan to move to Churchill, Manitoba, a flat, gray place on the Hudson Bay in northern Canada accessible only by train or plane. For a few months out of the year, as the bay starts to freeze, tiny Churchill boasts as many polar bears as it does people.

Unger packed up his wife and three small kids, and set out with a big bold idea. He wanted to write the quintessential requiem of how human-caused climate change was killing off these magnificent beasts.

In the end, he came away with something totally different, Unger tells NPR's Laura Sullivan.

"My humble plan was to become a hero of the environmental movement. I was going to go up to the Canadian Arctic, I was going to write this mournful elegy for the polar bears, at which point I'd be hailed as the next coming of John Muir and borne aloft on the shoulders of my environmental compatriots ...
[Sounds like he had a pre-concieved notion about polar bear population decline.]

"So when I got up there, I started realizing polar bears were not in as bad a shape as the conventional wisdom had led me to believe, which was actually very heartening, but didn't fit well with the book I'd been planning to write.

"... There are far more polar bears alive today than there were 40 years ago. ... In 1973, there was a global hunting ban. So once hunting was dramatically reduced, the population exploded. This is not to say that global warming is not real or is not a problem for the polar bears. But polar bear populations are large, and the truth is that we can't look at it as a monolithic population that is all going one way or another."

I wonder how many scary and frightening global warming polar bear decline articles there have been in the last 10 years? I wonder how many little kids and democrats (is there a difference?) were scared and frightened over claims of polar bear decline?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by Fordama » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 am

He's making the same mistakes and using the same flawed assumptions that the media and politicians made in 2008.

http://www.sejarchive.org/pub/SEJournal ... s_Su08.htm

By the way, the story shoots down your myth about the media not being objective on environmental issues. I like it when you bring in an article that shows some of your other assumptions to be incorrect.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by kramer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Fordama wrote:He's making the same mistakes and using the same flawed assumptions that the media and politicians made in 2008.

http://www.sejarchive.org/pub/SEJournal ... s_Su08.htm
Which are?


And did you read this in your article?
"These and other scientists agree that polar bear populations have, in all likelihood, increased in the past several decades, but not five-fold, and for reasons that have nothing to do with global warming."



Fordama wrote:By the way, the story shoots down your myth about the media not being objective on environmental issues.
They aren't objective. They are pushing the environmental agenda in part from sources like Soros and Rockefeller funding and pressure.
Fordama wrote: I like it when you bring in an article that shows some of your other assumptions to be incorrect.
Fordama[/quote]

You mean like when we know for a fact that (for example), the Washington Post was in the tank for Obama and yet they still print occasional stories on democrat misdeeds?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24358
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by Wabash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:48 pm

kramer wrote: You mean like when we know for a fact that (for example), the Washington Post was in the tank for Obama and yet they still print occasional stories on democrat misdeeds?
Much like the Washington Times was in the tank for Romney and never printed stories about repub misdeeds.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Hanna
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by Hanna » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Does not help that there are more polar bears if their habitat is shrinking.

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by Fordama » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:31 am

Hanna wrote:Does not help that there are more polar bears if their habitat is shrinking.
Yeah, Kramer is so giddy in thinking he's found some problem with environmental science that he doesn't realize the real ramifications of the stories he brings in.

There's nothing good about Polar Bears being forced out of their habitats and into human habitats.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by kramer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:34 pm

kramer wrote: You mean like when we know for a fact that (for example), the Washington Post was in the tank for Obama and yet they still print occasional stories on democrat misdeeds?
Wabash wrote:Much like the Washington Times was in the tank for Romney and never printed stories about repub misdeeds.
The House Ethics Committee is complying with a Department of Justice request to suspend its case against Rep. Michael G. Grimm while the FBI investigates corruption allegations against the New York Republican, the panel said Monday in a release.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/nov/26/house-defers-justice-department-grimm-probe/
The House Committee on Ethics has voted to extend an inquiry into an unspecified ethics allegation against Rep. Vern Buchanan, Florida Republican, the panel reported Thursday.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/22/house-ethics-panel-votes-extend-buchanan-inquiry/
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24358
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by Wabash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:45 pm

kramer wrote:




I must have missed those two articles. I stand corrected. I'll state that the Moonie Times rarely publishes any misdeeds from conservatives.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by kramer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Hanna wrote:Does not help that there are more polar bears if their habitat is shrinking.
Fordama wrote:Yeah, Kramer is so giddy in thinking he's found some problem with environmental science that he doesn't realize the real ramifications of the stories he brings in.

There's nothing good about Polar Bears being forced out of their habitats and into human habitats.

Fordama
I'm even more giddy now because both of you have given me a twofer......There was less ice in the Arctic about 6,000 years ago:
Oct. 20, 2008 — Recent mapping of a number of raised beach ridges on the north coast of Greenland suggests that the ice cover in the Arctic Ocean was greatly reduced some 6000-7000 years ago. The Arctic Ocean may have been periodically ice free.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 095850.htm
And polar bears have been around for at least 70,000 years.

So, do either of you wonder how polar bears survived in the Arctic where there was less ice than today?...

And Fordama, how many mega-cities, suburbs, and millions of people are located up in the Arctic near polar bear habitats?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by kramer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Wabash wrote: I must have missed those two articles. I stand corrected. I'll state that the Moonie Times rarely publishes any misdeeds from conservatives.
Define "rarely."
~Once every two weeks?
~Once every two months?
~Once every half year?

Be more specific so I can prove you wrong again and get even more giddy... :D
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by kramer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Fordama wrote: By the way, the story shoots down your myth about the media not being objective on environmental issues. I like it when you bring in an article that shows some of your other assumptions to be incorrect.

Fordama
Journalists and media organizations have an important role to play in reporting on issues, and in helping raise public awareness of the various dimensions and requirements of sustainable development. Their involvement can contribute to reinforce access to information, communication and knowledge, as well as access to the know-how and capacities necessary for effective use of ICTs in the framework of development programmes. This can include, for instance, the production of radio and television programmes with local content and on themes such as gender equality and universal basic education.

http://www.gdrc.org/sustdev/un-desd/imp ... scheme.pdf
...some new textbooks in climate and atmospheric physics are being written with long prefaces explaining why students should believe what the textbook says, despite contrary information from their parents, radio talk show hosts, or the internet.

http://www.physicstoday.org/resource/1/ ... ypassSSO=1
The Society of Environmental Journalists is the only North-American membership association of professional journalists dedicated to more and better coverage of environment-related issues. SEJ’s mission is to strengthen the quality, reach and viability of journalism across all media to advance public understanding of environmental issues.

http://www.sej.org/about-sej

...................................................................................................................................



Past SEJ Funding Sources:
Rockefeller Family Fund

http://www.sej.org/past-sej-funding-sources
Alex Kirby in Climategate email 4894 on the BBC's neutrality.

Yes, glad you stopped this -- I was sent it too, and decided to spike it without more ado as pure stream-of-consciousness rubbish. I can well understand your unhappiness at our running the other piece. But we are constantly being savaged by the loonies for not giving them any coverage at all, especially as you say with the COP in the offing, and being the objective impartial (ho ho) BBC that we are, there is an expectation in some quarters that we will every now and then let them say something. I hope though that the weight of our coverage makes it clear that we think they are talking through their hats.

http://www.bishop-hill.net/blog/2011/11 ... ho-ho.html
From email 5297:
On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 15:45 +0100, David Thompson wrote:
     > Phil et al...
     >
     >   ....
     >  I've agreed to chat with any Nature reporters on the story. But
     > otherwise I'm going to be pretty cautious about what reporters I chat
     > with... I'll let all of you know if there are any other reasonable
     > interview requests from folks we trust (eg Andy Revkin, etc).
     >
     >
     > -Dave

[Revkin wrote for the NYTimes and I think he still does...]
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by Fordama » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:09 pm

Is Art Bell on tonight? You should rush all this amazing "evidence" to him!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by kramer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Fordama wrote:Is Art Bell on tonight? You should rush all this amazing "evidence" to him!

Fordama

Translation: Another bitch-slapping of Fordama by Kramer. You know why I often educate you? Because your sources of information aren't very good.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by Fordama » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:38 pm

kramer wrote:

Translation: Another bitch-slapping of Fordama by Kramer. You know why I often educate you? Because your sources of information aren't very good.
Nope. Translation: you need to stick to paranoid conspiracy and denier sites where they lack an understanding of science as well and think that throwing up lots of disjointed blurbs to cherrypick parts and ignore the rest is actual "evidence" of anything.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18139
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by Fordama » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:50 pm

kramer wrote:

Translation: Another bitch-slapping of Fordama by Kramer. You know why I often educate you? Because your sources of information aren't very good.
Nope. You didn't understand both the mistakes that the author made even when I gave them a link for you, and you failed to even understand the ramifications of what the author did find.

In short, all you have is screed. You think that cherry picking some articles while ignoring main points is okay, and you have the idiotic notion that science is never supposed to change, so when it does it somehow throws all science out the windoy.

Art Bell, Alex Jones, Truthers, JFK nuts, UFO fanatics, climate deniers, etc. They all share that special brand of crazy.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by kramer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Fordama wrote: Nope. Translation: you need to stick to paranoid conspiracy and...
The conspiracy card? That means you have nothing, you lost the argument.
Fordama wrote:... denier sites where they lack an understanding of science
But the fact is, if you go to blogs like WattsUpWithThat or Climate Audit, you certainly don’t find scientific and mathematical illiterates doubting climate change. Rather, you find scientific and mathematical sophisticates itching to blow holes in each new study.

http://www.desmogblog.com/little-knowle ... confidence
Did you forget the definition of bitch-slap? If so, you just experienced it again...

If you want another bitch-slap, I can post the study that says skeptics tend to be more knowledgeable on climate science than the believers...


Fordama wrote:as well and think that throwing up lots of disjointed blurbs to cherrypick parts and ignore the rest is actual "evidence" of anything.
All I'm doing is pointing out the weaknesses, fraud, and contradictions in the science. You can view me as some guy throwing monkey wrenches into a huge green machine in the vain hopes of shutting it down. I know it won't ever happen, no matter how many guys there are throwing monkey wrenches in it, there is too much money to be made on carbon trading by the banks, some of who run our federal reserve. At best, all I'm doing is slowing it down.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 8876
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:22 pm

What is it with your repeated puerile references to glorifying violence against women? Do you like to hit women? Do you call your loved ones "bitches"?

You're making yourself look like an ass. Grow up.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by kramer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Fordama wrote: Nope. You didn't understand both the mistakes that the author made even when I gave them a link for you, and you failed to even understand the ramifications of what the author did find.
Why didn't you explain the mistakes to us? Are you science-dumbed-down and can't...?
Fordama wrote:In short, all you have is screed.
If "screed" means contradictions in climate science, climate science fraud, and weaknesses in climate science, then you are correct.


Fordama wrote: You think that cherry picking some articles while ignoring main points is okay,
I think pointing out the fraud, weaknesses, and contradictions in the settled science is okay.

And there is a reason for it. The solutions to AGW are a global leftist government, redistribution of wealth both within and among nations, a radical lifestyle change that will be much much lower than what we have today, etc. I want to (term I like to refer to myself as) and destroy this leftist trojan horse and that is why I point out the BS in the climate science.


Fordama wrote:and you have the idiotic notion that science is never supposed to change,
No I don't.

And I see why you are confused and befuddled. It's because I point out the changes in the science after your side has stated that the science is settled and the debate is over.


Fordama wrote: so when it does it somehow throws all science out the windoy.
Really? Have I ever said something like "therefore, because of this science contradiction, the climate scientists are wrong and there is no warming?"...

Here's the occonnect search button to show us I'm wrong:
http://occonnect.com/community/search.php

Fordama wrote: Art Bell,
I don't listen to him.


Fordama wrote: Alex Jones,
I read his site everyday and only pay attention to the claims he makes that are backed up by credible sources that backs up what he says.

Fordama wrote: Truthers,
Obama's Van Jones was a truther.


Fordama wrote:JFK nuts, UFO fanatics, climate deniers, etc. They all share that special brand of crazy.
In climate science, we skeptics show the fraud, weaknesses, and contradictions in the science. This can't be done with UFOs.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by kramer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:What is it with your repeated puerile references to glorifying violence against women? Do you like to hit women? Do you call your loved ones "bitches"?

You're making yourself look like an ass. Grow up.
Just my way of pointing out that I crushed a stupid liberal point or comment. If you don't like it, too effing bad, don't read my posts.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 8876
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: NPR: more polar bears alive today than 40 years ago

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Done.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Post Reply