New species found in Arctic.

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
Tommy Tar

New species found in Arctic.

Post by Tommy Tar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 am

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... ctic-camel

The remains of an extinct species of giant camel have been discovered on Ellesmere Island in the Arctic region of Canada.

The creature was identified thanks to analysis of 30 fossilised fragments of leg bone, each around 3.5 million years old, placing them firmly in the mid-Pliocene. Additional evidence from the surrounding area allowed the research team to conclude that this was likely a High Arctic camel -- a previously unknown species which lived in the forests of the Arctic during a global warm period. :eh?: <snip>

During a global warm period? How in the world could we have a global warm period 3.5 million years ago? Wow. Maybe the earth went through cold and warming times before man even walked on the earth?
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

kramer

Re: New species found in Arctic.

Post by kramer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Tommy Tar wrote:
During a global warm period? How in the world could we have a global warm period 3.5 million years ago? Wow. Maybe the earth went through cold and warming times before man even walked on the earth?
Stop being an anthropogenic climate change denier... Learn the carbon cycle and love it.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Tommy Tar wrote: During a global warm period? How in the world could we have a global warm period 3.5 million years ago?
Sleep through science class, didja?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:13 pm

kramer wrote:
Stop being an anthropogenic climate change denier... Learn the carbon cycle and love it.
Did you ever learn it, or are you still idiotically clamoring about on how good extra CO2 is for the environment. Perhaps you could start yet another thread about a scientific study that states that CO2 contributes to global warming and then stupidly act like you didn't notice that detail.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

barstow wiz

Post by barstow wiz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 am

more wasted taxpayer dollars. who gives a crap about some new species! :shrug:
:)

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:17 am

Fordama wrote: Did you ever learn it, or are you still idiotically clamoring about on how good extra CO2 is for the environment.
Extra CO2 isn't bad for the environment. It's a colorless and odorless trace gas that feeds plants and trees. Do you read George Soros' ThinkProgress? If so, it would explain your ignorance on this topic. For example, they refer to CO2 as pollution that blocks the sun:
Source:
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/upl ... [b]carbon-pollution-block-sun[/b]-300x200.gif

The fact is, the Earth has been getting greener in part from the extra CO2. I don't know how anybody could say this is a bad thing...

Fordama wrote: Perhaps you could start yet another thread about a scientific study that states that CO2 contributes to global warming and then stupidly act like you didn't notice that detail.
Actually, I created a thread that showed the amount of warming we have had which has been claimed to be from CO2 was over-stated by a factor of 2. I then also showed that CO2 only produces around 40% of whatever warming we've had which if my math is right, means CO2 only produces at best 20% of the warming.

And in fact, I'm still waiting for you to comment on this thread. What are you doing, playing stupid so that you can get out of commenting on it? If so, you're doing a stellar job of it.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:18 am

Isn't C02 a killer in the home? I paid big bucks for some detectors... Am I being ripped off?

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:23 am

I think you are thinking about Carbon Monoxide, not Carbon Dioxide.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 am

Sure Crayegg, next thing you're going to tell me is that the snake oil I have isn't curing my impotency.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 am

wow at your age? already?

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 am

I'm old already.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:43 am

Not to worry, depending on the brand, snake oil can be amazing stuff.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Old species found in Arctic"?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:03 pm

kramer wrote:
Extra CO2 isn't bad for the environment.
Nope. You're still clueless on the subject. Excess CO2 is not good. Excess of most compounds aren't good for the environment. Someday you'll catch on to that.

Fordama

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:31 pm

C'mon Fordama, don't you know unless the atmospheric C02 levels rise above the levels seen on a submarine, everything is hunky dory?

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:57 pm

crayegg wrote:C'mon Fordama, don't you know unless the atmospheric C02 levels rise above the levels seen on a submarine, everything is hunky dory?
i was thinking that we could go for Apollo 13 levels!

Fordama

tLIB

Post by tLIB » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:21 pm

I read a few years back the the North Pole once had a tropical climate (perhaps more than once).
kramer wrote: The fact is, the Earth has been getting greener in part from the extra CO2. I don't know how anybody could say this is a bad thing...
I think the bigger problem will be when we run out (or nearly out) of oil. That will be a disaster. Hopefully we burn up the Middle East's oil first and save ours for the end.

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:29 pm

kramer wrote: Extra CO2 isn't bad for the environment.
Fordama wrote:Nope. You're still clueless on the subject.
I bet I know more about it than you and all the other leftists on this board combined.

Fordama wrote:Excess CO2 is not good.
Define excess CO2.

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:33 pm

tLIB wrote:I read a few years back the the North Pole once had a tropical climate (perhaps more than once).

I think the bigger problem will be when we run out (or nearly out) of oil. That will be a disaster.
Well, I've said that it would be wise for us to continue to use fossil fuels while heavily funding R&D for alternative energy sources for the future. If we don't we're foolish IMO.

kramer wrote: Hopefully we burn up the Middle East's oil first and save ours for the end.
If we got to this point, we'd just end up selling our fossil fuels to the world. Japan and some other country has already asked to get some of our natural gas. And while the Keystone pipeline isn't pumping US oil, I believe once that pipeline is done, much of that oil is going to end up in foreign nations, not ours.

tLIB

Post by tLIB » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:19 pm

kramer wrote: If we got to this point, we'd just end up selling our fossil fuels to the world.
Sadly, I think that is true. I agree with the rest of your post.