The first cellphone call was made 40 years ago today

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
18echo
Oversight Committee

The first cellphone call was made 40 years ago today

Postby 18echo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:16 am

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575777 ... ago-today/

Martin Cooper changed the world when he made the first cellphone call 40 years ago.

The former Motorola vice president and division manager made the call on the company's DynaTAC phone while standing in front of the New York Hilton on Sixth Avenue. His first call: to the head of research at Bell Labs, which had also been racing to build the first cellphone.

Cooper's call did more than untether people from their traditional fixed phone lines; it opened the door to true mobility and continues to affect virtually every aspect of our lives.

On April 3, 1973 Cooper and Mitchell demonstrated two working phones to the media and to passers-by prior to walking into a scheduled press conference at the New York Hilton in midtown Manhattan. Standing on Sixth avenue near the Hilton, Cooper made the first handheld cellular phone call in public from the prototype DynaTAC. The call connected him to a base station Motorola had installed on the roof of the Burlingame House (now the Alliance Capital Building) and into the AT&T land-line telephone system. Reporters and onlookers watched as Cooper dialed the number of his chief competitor Dr. Joel S. Engel, who was head of Bell Labs. "Joel, this is Marty. I'm calling you from a cell phone, a real handheld portable cell phone."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Cooper_(inventor)

It would be another ten years before the first cellular phone was available to the public, reasonably priced at just over $3000.

"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

Zebra

Re: The first cellphone call was made 40 years ago today

Postby Zebra » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:59 am

Thing was probably the size of a PRC 6
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:08 am

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN-_VA5HFwM[/bbvideo]
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:26 am

Cellular communication still has a ways to go. Still too many dead spots. I believe the future will one day be an economical access to satellites as the transmission mechanism.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:37 am

Is the guy who invented texting still alive? I'd like to have a word with him.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 am

A Colorado friend of mine who sells real estate packed one in the saddlebags of his motorcycle....that was 1989, and the thing had a huge antenna and looked like a WWII SCR-536.

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Return to “Science and Technology”