Smart phone and 3D printer technology

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
Parrotpaul

Smart phone and 3D printer technology

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri May 10, 2013 9:48 am

Neither the bride nor I own smart phones. We both have TracPhones, and to this point we are happy...we don't need or want anything else.

Here's the dilemma...we were discussing this yesterday...at what point will smart phones be a necessity rather than a desire? The bride takes her Kindle everywhere she goes, and that is enough for her. I rarely even take my cell phone with me...she insists I do, and I understand the reason...it simply makes sense to have instant communication in your pocket.

Smart phones have become or will very soon become a person's "office." Pay bills, charge items, take pictures, publish, send mail, look at movies, and so on....unbelievable technology that at some point will make credit cards and cash (probably not) obsolete...among many other things I have yet to think about.

What are your thoughts on cell phones of the future....when do you believe they will be necessary to successfully navigate through life? In addition...3D printing. Has anyone checked out the potential locked inside that technology? If not watch this video about a guy who fabricates custom build prosthesis hands for people who have no hand (s). He prints his design using a 3D printer...he then cuts out what he needs from the printing medium....the potential for business is mind-boggling...the potential for creativity is as mind-boggling....check it out.

ROBOHAND... [bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT3772yhr0o[/bbvideo]
Last edited by Parrotpaul on Fri May 10, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Parrotpaul

Re: Smart phone technology

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri May 10, 2013 10:03 am

Makerbot

The prices are coming down.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Smart phone and 3D printer technology

Postby John Q. Public » Fri May 10, 2013 10:53 am

I've been looking into taking some side work and I've seen a couple jobs that actually require a smartphone. One of them was even such a small job that you'd probably have to work half of the month just to cover the bill.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

SoMelo

Re: Smart phone and 3D printer technology

Postby SoMelo » Fri May 10, 2013 7:17 pm

I love my SmartPhone, I use it as my boarding pass, navigation (driving and walking), depositing checks, paying bills, finding good restaurants in strange areas. During long boring meetings at work I'm usually on eBay (I bought a really cute dress on Zappos at our last all employee meeting). If I'm in a store I can scan an item and see if it's available some place else for less.
They have an app for almost everything. I would like someone to write an app that I can scan my lotto tickets (like the stores have).

Return to “Science and Technology”