Forecasts for global warming ‘too high’

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
kramer

Postby kramer » Wed May 29, 2013 4:34 pm

The settled science appears to be a bit unsettled:

THE effects of climate change may be less severe than had been feared, a dramatic study has revealed.

Australian scientists say predictions for global warming have been too high.

A university team, using ground-breaking research, said an estimate that the planet would warm up by more than 11F (6C) by the year 2100 unless there were huge cuts in carbon emissions was “unlikely”.

However, in a research paper published in the journal Nature Climate Change, the team claimed that a 4F (2C) increase was “very likely” at current emission rates.

Dr Roger Bodman, from Victoria University, along with Professors David Karoly and Peter Rayner, from the University of Melbourne, have generated what they say are more reliable projections of global warming.

Read the rest...
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/403 ... g-too-high

This tells me that the small groups of people who feed the thousands of climate scientists around the world with temperature data need to consider adjusting it even higher.

“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Fordama

Re: Forecasts for global warming ‘too high’

Postby Fordama » Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 pm

kramer wrote:This tells me that the small groups of people who feed the thousands of climate scientists around the world with temperature data need to consider adjusting it even higher.

And it tells me that you didn't understand yet another article that you've posted on this subject.

Yet another study that says that global warming is happening, and excess carbon is contributing to the problem. This one stated that the warming should be between 2 and 6 degrees. Careful kramer, as it references the carbon cycle--you might finally have to try and understand what it is and the dangers in upsetting it.

But hey, let's see what the actual scientists say that their study implies:

"This study ultimately shows why waiting for certainty will fail as a strategy. Some uncertainty will always remain, meaning that we need to manage the risks of warming with the knowledge we have."

Oh no, Kramer, he says we need to do something!

The other lead scientist said: " Our results reconfirm the need for urgent and substantial reductions in greenhouse gas emissions if the world is to avoid exceeding the global warming target of 2 degrees needed to minimise dangerous climate change."

Oh man, "urgent and substantial reductions in greenhouse gases;" two more commie pinkos in on the worldwide conspiracy!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Postby kramer » Thu May 30, 2013 9:05 am

Fordama wrote:And it tells me that you didn't understand yet another article that you've posted on this subject.

Yet my skepticism is looking to be more and more correct.

Fordama wrote:Yet another study that says that global warming is happening, and excess carbon is contributing to the problem. This one stated that the warming should be between 2 and 6 degrees.

Either you are lying again or your reading comprehension is bad. That article doesn't say the warming will be between 2 and 6 degrees, rather it says the original claim of 6C by 2100 has been downgraded by 2/3rds to 2C.

Now, I stand corrected if you've actually read the paper this article is referencing. If so, please provide the link and copy the text from it so I see it for myself and then apologize to you for calling you a liar and questioning your reading comprehension.

That said, my claims of how much warming plant and tree food would actually cause and that the science is exaggerated are looking to be correct. So far, science has shown that:
1) Half the recent warming is from natural causes.
2 About 40% of warming is caused by CO2.
3) The science is exaggerated.

Fordama wrote:Oh man, "urgent and substantial reductions in greenhouse gases;" two more commie pinkos in on the worldwide conspiracy!

What is this worldwide conspiracy?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu May 30, 2013 10:06 am

kramer wrote:Either you are lying again or your reading comprehension is bad. That article doesn't say the warming will be between 2 and 6 degrees, rather it says the original claim of 6C by 2100 has been downgraded by 2/3rds to 2C.

Oh that's right, I forgot that you confuse articles in newspapers for the actual scientific work.

Here's a suggestion--try some of the actual science websites that actually discuss the true details of the study and get quotes from the actual scientists. That way you won't be caught off-guard as you see to be.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Postby kramer » Thu May 30, 2013 10:26 am

kramer wrote:Either you are lying again or your reading comprehension is bad. That article doesn't say the warming will be between 2 and 6 degrees, rather it says the original claim of 6C by 2100 has been downgraded by 2/3rds to 2C.

Fraudama wrote:Oh that's right, I forgot that you confuse articles in newspapers for the actual scientific work.

Here's a suggestion--try some of the actual science websites that actually discuss the true details of the study and get quotes from the actual scientists. That way you won't be caught off-guard as you see to be.

Fraudama

More yap and no content.

Not only can't you admit you eff-ed up about reading the temperature range wrong, you haven't said what this "world conspiracy" is.

I may have to start referring to you as Fraudama from now on. Why? Because lately, you have been just writing bullmerde and what appear to be outright lies which are telltale signs of a true red liberal.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu May 30, 2013 10:59 am

kramer wrote:Not only can't you admit you eff-ed up about reading the temperature range wrong,
I didn't goof at all. You did not bother to go to another source than your weak-sauce media website. I went to the author's website and accessed info from actual scientific websites.

The conclusions were that warming would be outside the 2 to 6 degree range was "unlikely." That means that warming between 2 and 6 degrees is likely.

The two scientists both called for action to be taken to reduce greenhouse gases.

kramer wrote: you haven't said what this "world conspiracy" is.
You're the one with the bizarro tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy bunch who thinks that the science on global warming is based some left wing plot to redistribute wealth.

In the meantime, I can't help but to yet again encourage to research things instead of just letting some media site tell you what to think.

Fordama

kramer

Postby kramer » Thu May 30, 2013 11:23 am

kramer wrote:Not only can't you admit you eff-ed up about reading the temperature range wrong,

Fordama wrote:I didn't goof at all. You did not bother to go to another source than your weak-sauce media website. I went to the author's website and accessed info from actual scientific websites.

The conclusions were that warming would be outside the 2 to 6 degree range was "unlikely." That means that warming between 2 and 6 degrees is likely.

Can you can produce the link and the text you read that backs up your claim?

"Put up or shut up," right?...

kramer wrote: you haven't said what this "world conspiracy" is.

Fordama wrote:You're the one with the bizarro tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy bunch who thinks that the science on global warming is based some left wing plot to redistribute wealth.

Global warming is being leveraged as a way to redistribute wealth both within and between nations. This is without a doubt and I can post many links (all from academia, the MSM, scientists, and environmental organizations) that support this.

Here, some appetizers. Enjoy the enlightenment:

The global wealth redistributive politics of AGW

IPCC scientist - use AGW to redistribute the world's wealth

Naomi Klien on AGW: North would have to redistribute wealth

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu May 30, 2013 1:00 pm

kramer wrote:Can you can produce the link and the text you read that backs up your claim?

But it's so much fun watching you stumble around when I slapped you with the facts.

But I'm in a good mood. I'm going to take your statement and try to believe that you really are interested in the science. I have a few links, but I'll go with this one:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 100143.htm

I warn you, though. The scientists talk about the carbon cycle.

Fordama

kramer

Postby kramer » Fri May 31, 2013 4:52 am

Fordama wrote:But it's so much fun watching you stumble around when I slapped you with the facts.

The fact here is that the upper limit of the range of possible temperature increases from CO2 has been lowered. Before it was lowered, this possible high temperature has been exploited by the left (scientists) and their cheerleaders (MSM) with exaggerations in order to push policy.

And speaking of handing somebody his ass on a silver platter, you haven't commented on my reply to your "You're the one with the bizarro tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy bunch who thinks that the science on global warming is based some left wing plot to redistribute wealth" comment.

(logged in today)
Last edited by kramer on Fri May 31, 2013 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri May 31, 2013 5:01 am

kramer wrote:
The fact here is that the upper limit of the range of possible temperature increases from CO2 has been lowered.

Pick that cherry, big boy!

Ignore that there really is global warming (well, you used to do that.) Ignore that there really is a man made component to global warming. Ignore that the people who have come up with the conclusions that you are trumpeting say it implies the exact opposite of what you believe. Ignore the importance of the carbon cycle.

Yes, ignore everything except one half of just one of the conclusions.

That is a perfect example of cherry picking to fit a political agenda.

Fordama

kramer

Postby kramer » Fri May 31, 2013 5:13 am

Fordama wrote:Pick that cherry, big boy!

All these little science points, weaknesses, and contradictions that I point out are adding up to one big headache for leftist policy makers.

Fordama wrote:Ignore that there really is global warming (well, you used to do that.) Ignore that there really is a man made component to global warming.

I don't dispute that there is probably a man-made component to the recent warming. What I dispute is that the majority of the warming is from CO2.

I have used science to show that CO2 is probably responsible for around 10% of the recent warming.

And speaking of handing somebody his ass on a silver platter, you haven't commented on my reply to your "You're the one with the bizarro tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy bunch who thinks that the science on global warming is based some left wing plot to redistribute wealth" comment.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri May 31, 2013 5:23 am

kramer wrote:
All these little science points, weaknesses, and contradictions that I point out are adding up to one big headache for leftist policy makers.

Once again you prove that your interest is not the truth of the science, but of propping up your political beliefs.

Fordama

kramer

Postby kramer » Fri May 31, 2013 11:30 am

Fordama wrote:Once again you prove that your interest is not the truth of the science, but of propping up your political beliefs.

Fordama

By throwing monkey wrenches in the big green machine, I am fighting for and defending my political beliefs.
And I'm also fu*king the left which is really enjoyable.

As British blogger and Heartland regular James Delingpole has pointed out, “Modern environmentalism successfully advances many of the causes dear to the left: redistribution of wealth, higher taxes, greater government intervention, regulation.” Heartland’s Bast puts it even more bluntly: For the left, “Climate change is the perfect thing.... It’s the reason why we should do everything [the left] wanted to do anyway.”

Here’s my inconvenient truth: they aren’t wrong.

- Naomi Klein, TheNation, Nov 9, 2011

I see you're still smarting over me handing your ass to you on a silver platter over your conspiracy comment.

(logged in today)

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri May 31, 2013 12:08 pm

kramer wrote:
By throwing monkey wrenches in the big green machine

You're not throwing monkey wrenches into anything except any chance of you having a coherent view of reality.

The more apt metaphor is that you are the monkey throwing his poo against the wall!

And no, you're nutty view of a world conspiracy regarding science is a bunch of Alex Jones schizoid word stew.

Fordama

kramer

Postby kramer » Fri May 31, 2013 2:08 pm

Fordama wrote:You're not throwing monkey wrenches into anything except any chance of you having a coherent view of reality.

The more apt metaphor is that you are the monkey throwing his poo against the wall!

Nope. We skeptics are throwing monkey wrenches in the big green machine. Granted they are little wrenches but each little nick does some damage...

Fordama wrote:And no, you're nutty view of a world conspiracy regarding science is a bunch of Alex Jones schizoid word stew.

First my "world conspiracy" was a plan to redistribute the worlds wealth. I slapped you silly with data and links that made my case and exposed your stupendous ignorance. So now its a "world conspiracy regarding science" ala Alex Jones. Keep moving the goalposts liberal 'man.'

I've never seen anybody trash his credibility like you have been doing lately.

(logged in today)

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri May 31, 2013 3:21 pm

kramer wrote:First my "world conspiracy"...

Has nothing to do with the science of the issue--and that is always my point. I don't judge the facts by the possible political ramifications.

Fordama

kramer

Postby kramer » Fri May 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Fordama wrote:Has nothing to do with the science of the issue--and that is always my point. I don't judge the facts by the possible political ramifications.

I see the science being used to push a global leftist agenda. And I've read a whole bunch of the climategate emails and it's clear from them that the science (not all, but some of it) was cooked. So I have two reasons to attack it: 1) to stop the left.
2) to make the science more honest and robust.

But your side will win this issue because cap-and-trade stands to enrich the large banks, some of which control our Federal Reserve.

Do the math math teacher. There's an estimated $600 trillion dollars in derivatives in the world, the subprime mess being responsible for a good part of this.
Now imagine a $20 trillion dollar a year global carbon market where banks already have carbon derivatives (created by some of the same people who gave us the ones that had to do with the subprime mess). Once this market gets started, the amount of carbon related derivatives will dwarf the $600 trillion dollars worth of them.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:27 pm

kramer wrote:
I see the science being used to push a global leftist agenda.

Doesn't change the science. And those emails were in response to funded attacks against science.

Fordama

kramer

Postby kramer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:12 am

Fordama wrote:Doesn't change the science.

Climate science is suspect.

Fordama wrote: And those emails were in response to funded attacks against science.

Fordama

Most of them weren't.

And your side has had vastly more funding as I showed you a few weeks ago.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:50 am

kramer wrote:Nope. We skeptics...

You don't understand skepticism.

Fordama

Return to “Science and Technology”