[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
(As I’ve been saying all along) World's top scientists just gave rigorous backing to systematically dismantle capitalism - Page 2 - Orange County Forums

(As I’ve been saying all along) World's top scientists just gave rigorous backing to systematically dismantle capitalism

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
kramer

Re: (As I’ve been saying all along) World's top scientists just gave rigorous backing to systematically dismantle capita

Postby kramer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:53 pm

“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

Wabash

Re: (As I’ve been saying all along) World's top scientists just gave rigorous backing to systematically dismantle capita

Postby Wabash » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Clean energy is the future. Regardless of your tin foil hat beliefs.

I have more faith in them than you.

I'm sure you won't be the only Luddite left behind.

kramer

Postby kramer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:33 pm

"Clean energy is the future."
Yet NASA's James Hansen, who for decades pushed the global warming issue, is on record of saying that both wind and solar won't provide us enough 24/7/365 energy. He's a proponent of nuclear which has an extremely tiny plant and tree food footprint.

"Regardless of your tin foil hat beliefs."
Gotta love the tin foil hat coming from a low-info snowflake... :D

I'm sure you won't be the only Luddite left behind.
Many environmentalists precisely want us to go back to the simple days. Doesn't that qualify them as Luddites?
And speaking of Luddites, wind power is old technology, nuclear is new technology (relative to wind). Many greens are against nuclear, a new tech and are embracing the old wind technology.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:38 pm

I know this may be a difficult concept. Technology has changed since he made that statement.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

kramer

Postby kramer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:52 pm

June 25, 2018. Boston Globe:
"The notion that renewable energies and batteries alone will provide all needed energy is fantastical. It is also a grotesque idea, because of the staggering environmental pollution from mining and material disposal, if all energy was derived from renewables and batteries.'
- James Hansen

So Wabash, what has changed in less than 4 months that makes his disdain for wind and solar wrong?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Let me ask you? Do you agree with him on the use of nuclear power?

What makes his disdain so wrong is the belief that technology will never change.

When NASA was given the mandate to send a man to the moon the technology didn't exist at that point in time. Less than 10 years later man was walking on the moon.

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Regarding nuclear power, I am fine with it IF the waste can be safely dealt with and IF they can make them so that in the event of a human mistake or say, earthquake, they'll safely shut down. In other words, meltdown proof.

Do you really think he believes tech will never change? No. He simply realizes that wind and solar can't provide 24/7/365 energy that a modern (non-luddite) society needs to function.

If another type of renewable energy source was invented and actually worked 24/7/367 and provided relatively cheap energy, I'd be all for it.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:55 pm

So what IF those things don't happen. Then what

I don't know what he believes. I am responding to your citation. Believing that wind and solar will never be capable of providing the energy levels of a modern society only shows that he is woefully naive when it comes to both technology and history.

I'll keep that last statement in mind.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:33 pm

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:22 pm

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:25 pm

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:40 pm

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Postby kramer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:45 pm

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:01 pm

My oldest son is part of the Southern California Edison management team that has to respond every month to the California PUC regarding the region's electricity needs 90 days out. He's told me the notion that we can come up with the storage capacity to provide nighttime electricity in the time frame required by the state to go all-renewable is absolutely impossible. And that's without the additional demand that will be imposed by the state's requirements that all new cars sold by 2XXX must be electric.

It's another liberal wet dream with little basis in reality.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:34 pm

It's not another liberal wet dream, it's the future, and the sooner us old farts get onboard or (die out) the better it will be for everybody.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:25 pm

It's not the fact that the technology won't eventually be available. It's that the California legislature passes laws that require all renewable energy by 2XXX, and all electric cars by 2XXX, and they have no idea how long it will take or what it will cost. It's what has the senior executives at energy providers like SCE laughing their asses off.

My son and his team predict that Tier 1 electricity rates that are currently between 12 and 18 cents/kwh in most areas will rise to 40 to 45 cents fairly quickly. Then it will be like the bullet train fiasco, with costs and timelines continuing to move out until what the clueless legislature wants eventually has to confront reality.

They're like a six-year old who wants a bicycle. You can tell him that we can't afford a bike, and the nearest store is a thousand miles away, and he just stamps his feet and screams that he wants it anyway. It's liberalism at its comical best.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:16 am

What's the duly passed Senate or Assembly Bill number requiring anything to occur by year 2XXX?

By the way, I'm not finding year 2XXX on my calendar, when is that?

Return to “Science and Technology”