WOW. MAJOR DIVORCE in the NEWS!

Health, fitness and medicine
Red

WOW. MAJOR DIVORCE in the NEWS!

Post by Red » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 am

Planned Parenthood 'reeling' after losing charity funds

End to partnership has led to a bitter rift between two key women's organizations

By DAVID CRARY

updated 1/31/2012 11:20:58 PM ET

NEW YORK — The nation's leading breast-cancer charity, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, is halting its partnerships with Planned Parenthood affiliates — creating a bitter rift, linked to the abortion debate, between two iconic organizations that have assisted millions of women.

The change will mean a cutoff of hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants, mainly for breast exams.

Planned Parenthood says the move results from Komen bowing to pressure from anti-abortion activists. Komen says the key reason is that Planned Parenthood is under investigation in Congress — a probe launched by a conservative Republican who was urged to act by anti-abortion groups.

The rupture, which has not been publicly announced as it unfolded, is wrenching for some of those who've learned about it and admire both organizations.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46209349/ns ... ansmsnbc11

Always somebody elses fault.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Vilepagan

Re: WOW. MAJOR DIVORCE in the NEWS!

Post by Vilepagan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:48 am

Red wrote:Always somebody elses fault.
I suppose you have an opinion on who is to blame?

BTW, please provide a link to your source.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Red

Post by Red » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:52 am

Vilepagan wrote:
I suppose you have an opinion on who is to blame?

BTW, please provide a link to your source.
I don't care to blame anybody.

Here you go Mr. Wizard:

Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:55 am

Link to the Story

That a legitimate and well-intended charity like Susan G Komen for the Cure is distancing themselves from an abortion-provider like PP is sufficient for me.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:57 am

Red wrote:I don't care to blame anybody.
So you accept the statement in the article as accurate? "Komen says the key reason is that Planned Parenthood is under investigation in Congress — a probe launched by a conservative Republican who was urged to act by anti-abortion groups. "
Here you go Mr. Wizard:
The name is Vilepagan, and thanks for the link...I'll put it in the OP where it belongs.

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Tar Pit

Help a old sailor with his math.

Post by Tar Pit » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:05 am

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... parenthood

Furor Erupts Over Susan G. Komen Halt Of Grants To Planned Parenthood.

January 31, 2012

by MARK MEMMOTT
The reaction has been intense this evening to the news from The Associated Press that "the nation's leading breast-cancer charity, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, is halting its partnerships with Planned Parenthood affiliates."

According to the AP, the Komen foundation says it has stopped sending money to Planned Parenthood affiliates — who used the funding to provide breast cancer screening and education programs to women — because of an inquiry initiated by Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., into whether Planned Parenthood has used public money to provide abortions. The Komen foundation's position is that it does not give grants to organizations that are under investigation. It gave about $680,000 to Planned Parenthood affiliates last year and $580,000 the year before, according to the AP. Planned Parenthood says Komen grants have paid for about 170,000 breast exams in the past five years.

Help me.

$680,000.00 last year.
$580,000.00 two years ago.

Total $1,260,000.00

Now if I divide that by 170,000 breast exams over the last 5 years. 1260000/170000 = $7,411.00 per breast exam. :-"
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.rebellioustruths.org/

Red

Re: Help a old sailor with his math.

Post by Red » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:14 am

Tar Pit wrote:http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... parenthood

Furor Erupts Over Susan G. Komen Halt Of Grants To Planned Parenthood.

January 31, 2012

by MARK MEMMOTT
The reaction has been intense this evening to the news from The Associated Press that "the nation's leading breast-cancer charity, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, is halting its partnerships with Planned Parenthood affiliates."

According to the AP, the Komen foundation says it has stopped sending money to Planned Parenthood affiliates — who used the funding to provide breast cancer screening and education programs to women — because of an inquiry initiated by Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., into whether Planned Parenthood has used public money to provide abortions. The Komen foundation's position is that it does not give grants to organizations that are under investigation. It gave about $680,000 to Planned Parenthood affiliates last year and $580,000 the year before, according to the AP. Planned Parenthood says Komen grants have paid for about 170,000 breast exams in the past five years.

Help me.

$680,000.00 last year.

Total $1,260,000.00

Now if I divide that by 170,000 breast exams over the last 5 years. 1260000/170000 = $7,411.00 per breast exam. :-"
I re-calculated it and you are correct! Maybe PP is to blame. How much of that money lined somebody's pocket?

Red

Post by Red » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:20 am

Vilepagan wrote:
So you accept the statement in the article as accurate? "Komen says the key reason is that Planned Parenthood is under investigation in Congress — a probe launched by a conservative Republican who was urged to act by anti-abortion groups. "

The name is Vilepagan, and thanks for the link...I'll put it in the OP where it belongs.

BTW, Mr. Wizard is an old cartoon character and an old saying. No offense meant.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Red wrote:
BTW, Mr. Wizard is an old cartoon character and an old saying. No offense meant.
Cartoon character? Mr. Wizard was Don Herbert.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Red

Post by Red » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: Cartoon character? Mr. Wizard was Don Herbert.
I stand corrected.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:23 pm

Tar Pit wrote:Help me.
Ok.
$680,000.00 last year.

Total $1,260,000.00

No, you get $7.41 per breast exam. Glad to help. :)

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Red wrote:I re-calculated it and you are correct!
Perhaps you should re-re-calculate it.
Maybe PP is to blame.
For what?
How much of that money lined somebody's pocket?
I don't know, how much?

Red

Post by Red » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:29 pm

Vilepagan wrote:
Perhaps you should re-re-calculate it.

For what?

I don't know, how much?
Busted! :mrgreen: Damn period looks like a comma. That's what I get trying to do 3 things at once. Tar! Whats your excuse. :ROFL:

Tar Pit

Post by Tar Pit » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Vilepagan wrote:
Ok.

No, you get $7.41 per breast exam. Glad to help. :)
:notworthy:

I said I was old. :shrug:
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.rebellioustruths.org/

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: Cartoon character? Mr. Wizard was Don Herbert.
Mr. Wizard was also the narrator for all of the Tooter Turtle cartoons and the one to whom Tooter turned when he tired of his travails with "HELP ME, MR. WIZARD, HELP."

To which Mr. Wizard would invariably respond:
"drizzle, drazzle, druzzle, Drome ...
time for this one to come home."

The 60's were great for kids and cartoons.

So, yes, he was also a cartoon character (as Red indicated) as well as an old saying.

#-o

SoMelo

Re: WOW. MAJOR RECONCILLIATION in the NEWS!

Post by SoMelo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:47 am

Komen to restore Planned Parenthood funding, senator says

The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation will restore funding to Planned Parenthood for breast cancer screenings, U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-New Jersey, said Friday.

LINK

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:59 am

he said twizzle twazzle twozzle twome. It was on my Tooter Turtle T-shirt

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Gotta be the PR blunder of the year. Yesterday all the pro-choicers were abandoning them in droves, today it's the pro-lifers, next week it will probably be business. Pink has become political. And you know how that goes.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:24 am

John Q. Public wrote:Gotta be the PR blunder of the year. Yesterday all the pro-choicers were abandoning them in droves, today it's the pro-lifers, next week it will probably be business. Pink has become political. And you know how that goes.
They must use the same wishy washy PR firm as Santa Marijuana Catholic High School . Image

ND7

Post by ND7 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:35 am

John Q. Public wrote:Gotta be the PR blunder of the year. Yesterday all the pro-choicers were abandoning them in droves, today it's the pro-lifers, next week it will probably be business. Pink has become political. And you know how that goes.
Komen sold its soul to the Devil when it got in bed with Planned Parenthood, the single largest abortion group in the world. Did they really think the Devil was going to allow them to just walk away?
"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."
St. Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons.