China puts Wuhan on lockdown.

Health, fitness and medicine
Tommy Tar

Re: China puts Wuhan on lockdown.

Post by Tommy Tar » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:17 pm

Now we have cruise ships looking for a place to dock as many ports are telling them to stay away.

Carnival Cruise stock down 20% in 4 days. #-o
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:28 pm

Who's dying, from the Chinese cases:

2.3% mortality rate, 2.8% for men, 1.7% for women.

"No deaths occurred in those aged 9 years and younger, but cases in those aged 70 to 79 years had an 8% fatality rate and those aged 80 years and older had a fatality rate of 14.8%.

"No deaths were reported among mild and severe cases. The fatality rate was 49% among critical cases, and elevated among those with preexisting conditions: 10.5% for people with cardiovascular disease, 7.3% for diabetes, 6.3% for chronic respiratory disease, 6% for hypertension, and 5.6% for cancer."

Smoking may be a factor, which could explain the higher death rate among Chinese men.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coron ... =home-page

Sounds like an average non-smoker in good enough shape with no major conditions should stand a pretty good chance against it. Even someone with a heart problem stands a 90% chance. Please forgive me if I don't panic.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:36 pm

Tommy Tar wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:17 pm
Now we have cruise ships looking for a place to dock as many ports are telling them to stay away.
Brilliant. Turn them into giant floating disease incubators. You think they'd have learned from the first one.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:44 pm

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:48 pm

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:41 pm

My money says Nikki Haley suggested putting Pence in charge.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:56 pm

Trump's Not Worried About Coronavirus. But His Scientists Are.

President Donald Trump congratulated himself for protecting the public from the deadly coronavirus Tuesday, assured Americans that there's a "very low" risk of an outbreak in this country and handed off any future responsibility to Vice President Mike Pence and Congress...

Trump, speeding to catch up his administration's public relations response to evidence of a potential pandemic, had just taken the equivalent of a victory lap in the midst of what experts are warning could be an Iron Man race.

His press conference was noteworthy for the unusually somber tone he struck, until he called Speaker Nancy Pelosi "incompetent"; his decision to surround himself with the kind of government experts he usually ridicules for political effect; and the way in which he sought to reassure the public, rather than create a sense of chaos.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB10rJTx

Covering his bases so he can say "I had it under control but those other guys screwed it up" :roll:

Meanwhile, in other news...

U.S. CDC Confirms 59 Coronavirus Cases, Including Repatriated Citizens

U.S. health officials on Tuesday alerted Americans to begin preparing for the spread of coronavirus after infections surfaced in several more countries.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-cd ... r-BB10qJpX
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:01 pm

Still making fun I see. \:D/
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:14 pm

You think it's funny?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:34 pm

Hey, at least we have a useless wall.

From Snopes;
Amid warnings from public health officials that a 2020 outbreak of a new coronavirus could soon become a pandemic involving the U.S., alarmed readers asked Snopes to verify a rumor that U.S. President Donald Trump had “fired the entire pandemic response team two years ago and then didn’t replace them.”

The claim came from a series of tweets posted by Judd Legum, who runs Popular Information, a newsletter he describes as being about “politics and power.” Legum’s commentary was representative of sharp criticism from Democratic legislators (and some Republicans) that the Trump administration had ill-prepared the country for a pandemic even as one was looming on the horizon.

Legum outlined a series of cost-cutting decisions made by the Trump administration in preceding years that had gutted the nation’s infectious disease defense infrastructure. The “pandemic response team” firing claim referred to news accounts from Spring 2018 reporting that White House officials tasked with directing a national response to a pandemic had been ousted.

Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer abruptly departed from his post leading the global health security team on the National Security Council in May 2018 amid a reorganization of the council by then-National Security Advisor John Bolton, and Ziemer’s team was disbanded. Tom Bossert, whom the Washington Post reported “had called for a comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics and biological attacks,” had been fired one month prior.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote cut down
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:45 am

Meeting of the Coronavirus Task Force. Seriously.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:50 pm

The guy in the back holding his nose...that's me
George Will

Donald Trump