COVID-19 Here We Go!

Vilepagan

Re: COVID-19 Here We Go!

Post by Vilepagan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:43 pm

Ninety percent of our customers — hundreds of guns — are going to people who have not owned guns before...
I watched a video on YouTube by a guy in Indiana who owns a gun store and he was saying exactly the same thing.

I imagine a lot of these gun buyers were also just returning from a trip to their local grocery store when they had the sudden urge to arm themselves.

Incidentally the cupboards were also bare in Indiana.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Dr. Fauci's expression says it all.

We are being led by an idiot.
Attachments
4956.jpeg
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:01 pm

I think somebody already posted that.

viewtopic.php?t=25876&start=140#p606874
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:34 pm

Lou Dobbs last week: “the national left-wing media is playing up fears of the coronavirus.”

Lou Dobbs this week: Image

Millennials last week and this week is much the same. I guess some people can only wise up the hard way.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:08 pm

Does Trump own vaping stock?

U.S. Intelligence Reports From January and February Warned About a Likely Pandemic

U.S. intelligence agencies were issuing ominous, classified warnings in January and February about the global danger posed by the coronavirus while President Trump and lawmakers played down the threat and failed to take action that might have slowed the spread of the pathogen, according to U.S. officials familiar with spy agency reporting.

Intelligence agencies “have been warning on this since January,” said a U.S. official who had access to intelligence reporting that was disseminated to members of Congress and their staffs as well as to officials in the Trump administration, and who, along with others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive information.

“Donald Trump may not have been expecting this, but a lot of other people in the government were — they just couldn’t get him to do anything about it,” this official said. “The system was blinking red.”

[Health and Human Services Secretary Alex] Azar couldn’t get through to Trump to speak with him about the virus until Jan. 18, according to two senior administration officials. When he reached Trump by phone, the president interjected to ask about vaping and when flavored vaping products would be back on the market, the senior administration officials said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-in ... r-BB11udi8
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:08 pm

This is a little ominous. I saw on Police Scanner Twitter that the Monrovia PD got a call about a man having difficulty breathing. I don't know why it went to them instead of the Fire Dept. but their officers want to know specifically why he's having difficulty. :shock:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:03 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:27 pm
Just a thought - instead of a 10-items-or-less express checkout, how about one that's just for seniors - all day? Why wouldn't that work?
How about Senior Whole Morning? 8:00 to noon on Tuesdays - or maybe more often if the stores want to break the hoarding cycle. A lot of seniors are actually afraid to go out and buy food. Four hours would give them time to shop and they wouldn't have to stand in line. And the stores could start half of the cashiers 4 hours later. Win-Win.

Speaking of seniors, their fixed income has now become a guaranteed income. It dawned on me today that I'm one of the few who are actually sitting kind of pretty in this. The house and the cars are paid for and I get a check every month that's enough to get by on. Counting my blessings and wishing we could all be so lucky.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:24 am

Omar Bongo wrote:...reports on Thursday revealed that Republican Sens. Richard Burr, N.C., and Kelly Loeffler, Ga., sold off significant amounts in stocks shortly before financial markets plunged because of the coronavirus pandemic. Burr is chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, which receives frequent briefings about threats facing the country
In 2012 Congress passed a new law making it illegal for members of Congress to use inside information they gain through their official positions to buy and sell stock. Only three senators voted against the 2012 bill. Burr was one of them.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/03/20/opinions/ ... index.html
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:36 am

Mar-a-Nogo

Trump's Mar-a-Lago retreat in Palm Beach closes due to the coronavirus pandemic

...but will reopen soon when "one day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear"
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Politico is reporting;
The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies — part of a push for new powers that comes as the coronavirus spreads through the United States.

Documents reviewed by POLITICO detail the department’s requests to lawmakers on a host of topics, including the statute of limitations, asylum and the way court hearings are conducted. POLITICO also reviewed and previously reported on documents seeking the authority to extend deadlines on merger reviews and prosecutions.

A Justice Department spokesperson declined to comment on the documents.

The move has tapped into a broader fear among civil liberties advocates and Donald Trump’s critics — that the president will use a moment of crisis to push for controversial policy changes. Already, he has cited the pandemic as a reason for heightening border restrictions and restricting asylum claims. He has also pushed for further tax cuts as the economy withers, arguing that it would soften the financial blow to Americans. And even without policy changes, Trump has vast emergency powers that he could legally deploy right now to try and slow the coronavirus outbreak.
It seems like just yesterday right wing wackos were waxing eloquent about black helicopters and FEMA re-education camps.

Now....nary a word.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:04 pm

It'll never pass but I don't understand what the usefulness of suspending habeas corpus would be. Is he planning on arresting the virus?

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:22 pm

I can’t do this. Day 4 and I’m bats***t.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Go for a walk. Do some yard work. Fix the toilet seat. :mrgreen:

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:46 pm

It's not so much the staying home part as it is the inconsiderate neighbors part. The ones that have to blast music and let their kids take over everyones lawns. By day 4 I'm over it.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:48 pm

Wabash wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:48 pm
It seems like just yesterday right wing wackos were waxing eloquent about black helicopters and FEMA re-education camps.

Now....nary a word.
I think I'd wait for a "right wing wacko" to offer an opinion before I'd try to do any mind reading on it. Seriously, if I wanted to read mindless projection about how other people think I'd read Your Logo Here. And I can't think of much that's less interesting than that.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:52 pm

ShiftyMutt wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:46 pm
The ones that have to blast music and let their kids take over everyones lawns.
Kids playing outside? That's... unusual. I didn't even know some of my neighbors had kids until they started driving.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Well, how's everybody dealing with the "lockdown" so far? I think it'll gradually become apparent that this is aimed at groups of inconsiderate, selfish people more than the rest of us (the majority). Gradually people will get that and adapt. Hang in there Shifty!!

Unfortunately, virus-wise I think things are going to get worse before they get better, the question is how much worse and that's up to us, both as individuals and our government...we need more people willing to make temporary sacrifices for the common good and more mature, rational leaders like Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Dr. Anthony Fauci and fewer "smart guys" who spew lies, deflect responsibility and spread division.

With testing finally ramping up and experts saying we're about a week behind Italy curve-wise, I think we're at a fork in the road now and the big question is, where do we go from here? Saw this in the NYT (paywall). Don't stop reading halfway through:

The Best-Case Outcome For The Coronavirus, And The Worst
Will we endure 2.2 million deaths? Or will we manage to turn things around?

Here’s the grimmest version of life a year from now: More than two million Americans have died from the new coronavirus, almost all mourned without funerals. Countless others have died because hospitals are too overwhelmed to deal adequately with heart attacks, asthma and diabetic crises. The economy has cratered into a depression, for fiscal and monetary policy are ineffective when people fear going out, businesses are closed and tens of millions of people are unemployed. A vaccine still seems far off, immunity among those who have recovered proves fleeting and the coronavirus has joined the seasonal flu as a recurring peril.

Yet here’s an alternative scenario for March 2021: Life largely returned to normal by the late summer of 2020, and the economy has rebounded strongly. The United States used a sharp, short shock in the spring of 2020 to break the cycle of transmission; warm weather then reduced new infections and provided a summer respite for the Northern Hemisphere. By the second wave in the fall, mutations had attenuated the coronavirus, many people were immune and drugs were shown effective in treating it and even in reducing infection. Thousands of Americans died, mostly octogenarians and nonagenarians and some with respiratory conditions, but by February 2021, vaccinations were introduced worldwide and the virus was conquered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opin ... e=Homepage

It can go either way, depending on us...ALL of us
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:27 pm

See, this is what I'm talkin' 'bout!

As Mask Supplies Dwindle, Japanese Bra Maker Offers Support Where It's Most Needed

As the coronavirus pandemic continues, one company is taking a unique approach to easing the shortage of masks in Japan.

Atsumi Fashion Co., a sewing company based in Toyama Prefecture, is producing masks by repurposing women’s underwear. The company began utilizing the cloth lining from bras after an employee realized similar materials were being used in disposable masks.

“We hope we can contribute to society as the mask shortage continues,” said Hiroshi Hinata, the company’s sales manager. “Even these masks can prevent the virus from spreading to others through coughing or sneezing.”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... nbLWIgzbb0

Gotta love that Japanese ingenuity, although if you have an EE face you're out of luck...

I promise to keep everyone abreast of positive developments like this :D
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Can't wait for the pictures.

And Australia has 1,100 cases with, it looks like, half of the ones in New South Wales acquired locally, so don't get overly hopeful about it going away with warmer weather.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:04 pm

Bike bras were started from jock straps.

**The more you know**