COVID-19 Here We Go!

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19 Here We Go!

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 am

From our Welcome to 2020 Department:

1. Federales patrolling the border to keep Americans out;
2. ISIS warning its members against traveling to Europe to conduct attacks.

:fan:
Don't look at me, I just work here.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:44 pm

1,200 stimulus check per adult in Calif is 2 weeks rent, while the same would be full rent and more in, say, Nebraska. Too bad they couldn’t do some kind of scale on this stimulus.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:25 pm

Birx, an HIV/AIDS expert from the State Department who was brought on to coordinate the federal government’s response to the coronavirus, noted that 19 of the 50 U.S. states are showing a persistently low level of coronavirus cases despite reporting early infections. These 19 states each have fewer than 200 cases, Birx said, and are still working to actively contain the virus rather than mitigate its spread.

“That’s almost 40 percent of the country with extraordinarily low numbers and they are testing,” Birx said.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... oronavirus
Dr. Birx seems to be using the "Impeach This"/"Dirt don't vote" map to measure the virus's spread. "Nothing to worry about. 40% of the country's land mass doesn't have it."

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:33 pm

ShiftyMutt wrote:Too bad they couldn’t do some kind of scale on this stimulus.
Or on the electoral college
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:02 am

But how do you really feel, Senator?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 am

Anybody listen to Gov. Cuomo's words to the National Guard at his briefing just now?

Wow, now that's a leader

Informed, serious, tough, brutally honest and above all inspirational

Draws such a distinction with the whiny little preener we're currently saddled with...

Can we write him in in Nov?

I'll post the good part when it becomes available
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Here's a partial transcript. It's a little long, but:

I want to make two points to you and I want to make two promises to you. This is a different beast that we're dealing with. This is an invisible beast. It is an insidious beast. This is not going to be a short deployment. This is not going to be that you go out there for a few days, we work hard and we go home. This is going to be weeks and weeks and weeks. This is going to be a long day and it's going to be a hard day, and it's going to be an ugly day, and it's going to be a sad day.

This is a rescue mission that you're on - the mission is to save lives. That's what you're doing. The rescue mission is to save lives and as hard as we work, we're not going to be able to save everyone. And what's even more cruel is this enemy doesn't attack the strongest of us. It attacks the weakest of us. It attacks our most vulnerable which makes it even worse in many ways. Because these are the people that every instinct tells us we're supposed to protect.

These are our parents and our grandparents. These are our aunts, our uncles. These are a relative who was sick and every instinct says protect them, help them, because they need us. And those are the exact people that this enemy attacks. Every time I've called out the National Guard I have said the same thing to you: I promise you I will not ask you to do anything that I will not do myself. And the same is true here. We're going to do this and we're going to do this together.

My second point is, you are living a moment in history. This is going to be one of those moments they're going to write and they're going to talk about for generations. This is a moment that is going to change this nation. This is a moment that forges character, forges people, changes people -- make them stronger, make them weaker -- but this is a moment that will change character.

Ten years from now, you'll be talking about today to your children or your grandchildren and you will shed a tear because you will remember the lives lost. You'll remember the faces and you'll remember the names and you'll remember how hard we worked and that we still lost loved ones. And you'll shed a tear and you should because it will be sad.

But, you will also be proud. You'll be proud of what you did. You'll be proud that you showed up. You showed up when other people played it safe. You had the courage to show up. You had the skill and the professionalism to make a difference and save lives. That's what you will have done.

At the end of the day, nobody can ask anything more from you. That is your duty, to do what you can when you can. You will have shown skill and courage and talent. You'll be there with your mind, you'll be there with your heart and you'll serve with honor. That will give you pride and you should be proud. I know that I am proud of you.

And every time the National Guard has been called out, they have made every New Yorker proud. I am proud to be with you yet again. I'm proud to fight this fight with you. And I bring you thanks from all New Yorkers who are just so appreciative of the sacrifice that you are making, the skill that you're bringing, the talent that you're bringing. You give many New Yorkers confidence.

So I say, my friends, that we go out there today and we kick coronavirus' a--, that's what I say. And we're going to save lives and New York is going to thank you. God bless each and every one of you.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/read-gov-cuom ... d=69839370

=D> =D>
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:34 am

Let us hope this is good news.
Attachments
SmartSelect_20200328-093045_Edge.jpg
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:35 pm

DHS "advises" that gun shops and shooting ranges are essential.

From the Washington Examiner:
A memo released Saturday by the Homeland Security Department said workers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges are part of its "essential critical infrastructure workforce" advisory list during the COVID-19 response effort.

Besides the section for law enforcement, public, safety and other first responders under which the firearm industry fell, the long advisory list also included sections for healthcare/public health, food and agriculture, energy, water and wastewater, transportation and logistics, and many others. DHS developed the list in collaboration with other federal agencies, state and local governments, and the private sector.

Several states including California, New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts have deemed gun stores to be “non-essential” businesses during the coronavirus pandemic, forcing the shops to shutter. The National Rifle Association and several other gun rights groups filed a lawsuit against the state of California, alleging such closures violate the Second Amendment rights of the state's citizens.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB11R3nS
I hope "the NRA and several other gun rights groups" are prepared to be laughed out of court. Unless, of course, they're prepared to argue that bars are essential under the 21st Amendment or that basketball courts are essential under the 1st. Morons. Every last one of 'em.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:17 am

Wouldn't it be nice, if instead of spending time and effort on this self-serving garbage, they were making a donation to the effort to procure medical supplies/equipment from the vast windfall they raked in from the record-breaking surge in weapons sales before the closures?

But noooooooooooooooo
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:14 pm

=D> =D>

Pastor of Tampa Church That Held 2 Large Sunday Services Arrested, Jailed

Megachurch Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne and the River at Tampa Bay Church had been warned.

...Sheriff’s officials said they warned church lawyers on Friday and Sunday about the “dangerous environment they were creating for their members and the community.”

But Howard-Browne, the self-proclaimed “Holy Ghost bartender” and COVID-19 conspiracy theorist, ignored those warnings. He held two large services on Sunday, deputies said, and even bused people in to the church.

The church livestreamed the morning “Main Event” service on its Facebook page, showing congregants shoulder-to-shoulder while the church band played.

That’s why Howard-Browne was arrested Monday on misdemeanor charges of unlawful assembly and violating quarantine orders during a public health emergency, said Hillsborough Sheriff Chad Chronsiter.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/pa ... r-BB11VzzL
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:41 pm

Things are bad, but we have more control over our destiny than we might think:

How well Americans obey social distancing could make the difference between 100,000 and millions of deaths, said Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House's coronavirus response coordinator.

"If we do things together well, almost perfectly, we could get in the range of 100,000 to 200,000 fatalities. We don't even want to see that."

Birx said the worst-case projections show "between 1.6 million and 2.2 million deaths if you do nothing" and disregard social distancing guidelines.

Dr. Anthony Fauci:

Places with few cases can also steer the direction of this outbreak, Fauci said.

"If you just look at those (places) and say, 'There are very little infections in this area or that area, we don't have to worry about it,' you're making a big mistake. Because those are tinders that can turn into big fires."

"You've got to look at those other areas and make sure you very vigorously identify, test ... get individuals who you take out of society because they're isolated, and do contact tracing,"
he said.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/us ... index.html
George Will

Donald Trump

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:57 am

I don’t think it’s coincidence that California was sent faulty ventilators, Illinois was sent the wrong masks and Florida is getting favoritism. I don’t trust him.....at all.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:11 am

We now have more deaths from Covid-19 than than those on 9/11.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:03 pm

Tin foil thought of the day -

What if Dr. Fauci's prediction of 100,000 to 200,000 deaths from Covid is just a number thrown out so Trump can claim a huge heroic victory if it winds up to be, say, 50,000 - 25,000 or less deaths?
I love Dr. Fauci by the way. I just had that awful thought, yeah, I'm bored...

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:59 pm

ShiftyMutt wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:03 pm
Tin foil thought of the day -

What if Dr. Fauci's prediction of 100,000 to 200,000 deaths from Covid is just a number thrown out so Trump can claim a huge heroic victory if it winds up to be, say, 50,000 - 25,000 or less deaths?
I love Dr. Fauci by the way. I just had that awful thought, yeah, I'm bored...
interesting. And not far from truth. But no matter what at the end he'll claim credit for handling the crisis "perfect". He's going to say that anyway.

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:08 pm

It just struck me that supermarkets are suddenly treacherous places. But we all have to go there. People wearing gloves really aren't doing what they think they're doing. The checkout if the big choke point. If there's no virus on anything you've bought there most certain will be on the gloves of the checkout person who's touched EVERYTHING. Any reasonable shift of a few hours and you can believe any virus anywhere in the store is on the checkout person's glove and they've transferred it to your groceries. And transferred it to you and where your groceries are destined to go.

But just suppose the virus is on YOUR gloves. At the checkout you're transferred the virus from your gloves to your wallet, card or pocketbook now. As you leave you pull out your keys - BAM. As you drive off you've transfered it to your steering wheel and shifter - BAM BAM. And you still have it on your groceries you're taking home -KABAM!

This just struck me personally because I just happened to have to go grocery shopping today. The best thing I could do is at the checkout, before I fished my wallet out I took the gloves off and threw them away. Just touching the bags. When I got home I washed my hands before unpacking, unpacked and washed them again. That only minimizes but doesn't eliminate exposure but there's nothing better to do except never go food shopping again until this is all over. And that's frankly not possible.

**I guess there was one more precaution I could have taken and that would've been to have washed everything I bought. Ummm yeah no. Somehow I'm not fond of soapy produce.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:05 pm

I'm opting for grocery delivery and avoiding the stores altogether. Problem is, they're overbooked, out of stock on everything or shoppers are on strike right now. Hopefully it all lets up before this household needs real food.

Realizing us first worlders have been very spoiled.

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:33 pm

Grocery delivery is an alternative I guess. Only problem is regarding the virus it's kind of a black box isn't it? How do you know the hands that have handled your groceries isn't delivering the virus to your place? You can't see what's being done. They could be coughing and spitting on everything and packing it up to deliver to you. We can't know their sanitation or protection protocols or practices. Are the feds or states providing any oversight on how they're handling their merchandise at all? Any inspections of these places? Me myself I don't necessarily trust business to do best practices when it comes to bottom line. When you catch the virus you don't know how you caught it. You might have suspicions but it's a silent dark creeper actually.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:19 pm

BostonDave wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:08 pm
This just struck me personally because I just happened to have to go grocery shopping today. The best thing I could do is at the checkout, before I fished my wallet out I took the gloves off and threw them away. Just touching the bags. When I got home I washed my hands before unpacking, unpacked and washed them again. That only minimizes but doesn't eliminate exposure but there's nothing better to do except never go food shopping again until this is all over. And that's frankly not possible.
I realized all that when I bought gas last week.

"OMG! I forgot to bring gloves!"
"OMG! I have to put my card in the card reader!"
"OMG! I have to punch in my PIN!"
"OMG! I have to touch the pump handle!"
"OMG! I have to touch the door handle! And the ignition switch! And the shifter and the steering wheel!"
"Don't touch your face, don't touch your face, don't touch your face" for three miles and then, "OMG! I have to touch the door knob!"

Sheesh! And that was just getting gas.

I saw on Twitter where a lady takes a can of industrial strength Lysol to do her shopping. Might not be a bad idea.