If this was a Catholic priest it would be front page

Crimes, criminals and the justice system
ND7

If this was a Catholic priest it would be front page

Postby ND7 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:12 am

ANAHEIM – An Anaheim pastor was sentenced to six years in state prison Thursday for molesting four girls in his congregation, prosecutors said.

Jose Rama Campoverde, 46, pleaded guilty to one felony count of lewd acts on a child under 14, five felony counts of lewd acts on a child, two misdemeanor counts of child annoyance, and a sentencing enhancement allegation for lewd acts on multiple children, according to the Orange County District Attorney's Office.

Campoverde was accused of touching the four girls, who were as young as 13, between April 2007 and September 2009, prosecutors said.

Campoverde was a pastor at Ministerio Cristo Vive, a small Anaheim congregation whose members worshiped in a few suites behind a 99 Cents Only store in a strip mall on South Euclid Street, police said last year.

At Thursday's sentencing hearing, one of the victims said that Campoverde has hurt her ability to trust, according to the District Attorney's Office.

Campoverde has a 1992 conviction for the sale or distribution of drugs.

Contact the writer: 714-704-3705 or agalvin@ocregister.com

http://www.ocregister.com/news/campover ... astor.html

"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."
St. Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Re: If this was a Catholic priest it would be front page

Postby crayegg » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:18 am

Does it really matter what congregation he belongs to? An alleged scumbag is an alleged scumbag.

ND7

Postby ND7 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:25 am

crayegg wrote:Does it really matter what congregation he belongs to? An alleged scumbag is an alleged scumbag.

No, but the OCR and this board seem to pay particular attention to the Catholics. Bottom feeders.
"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."
St. Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:34 am

:eh?: [font=Comic Sans MS]It was front page on ocregister.com... I also received this email from the District Attorney:[/font]

Orange County DA Office: ANAHEIM PASTOR SENTENCED TO SIX YEARS IN PRISON FOR SEXUALLY ASSAULTING FOUR YOUNG FEMALE PARISHIONERS‏
Sent: Thu 7/22/10 5:16 PM
To: *********.com

July 22, 2010 Case #09NF2764 ANAHEIM PASTOR SENTENCED TO SIX YEARS IN PRISON FOR SEXUALLY ASSAULTING FOUR YOUNG FEMALE PARISHIONERS FULLERTON - A pastor was sentenced today to six years in state prison for sexually assaulting four female parishioners, whom he met through their church. Jose Rama Campoverde, 46, Anaheim, pleaded guilty to one felony count of lewd acts on a child under 14, five felony counts of lewd acts on a child, two misdemeanor counts of child annoyance, and a sentencing enhancement allegation for lewd acts on multiple children. In addition to his six year prison sentence, Campoverde has also been ordered to register as a sex offender. Jane Doe #1On April 15, 2007, Campoverde, a pastor at Anaheim church Ministerio Cristo Vive, put his hand down the shirt of 13-year-old Jane Doe #1. From April 2007 to September 2009, the defendant touched the victim's buttocks on two occasions. He also kissed and hugged Jane Doe #1. Jane Doe #2In March 2009, Campoverde befriended 15-year-old Jane Doe #2 through the church. During a visit to the victim's house, the defendant hugged Jane Doe #2 from behind, pressing his body up against hers, and kissed her on the cheek. He touched her upper thigh, near her buttocks. Jane Doe #3In July 2004, Campoverde was watching a movie with 14-year-old Jane Doe #3 at the church and kissed the victim on the cheek. That same month, while teaching the victim how to drive, he put his hand over the victim's hand on the stick shift and caressed it. He grabbed her hand and put it back on the stick shift when she pulled away. In March 2009, Campoverde hugged Jane Doe #3, then-17 years old, and touched her buttocks. Jane Doe #4In May 2009, Campoverde picked up 16-year-old Jane Doe #4 from school. He caressed the victim's cheek and massaged her leg and arm. The defendant attempted to touch her vagina and kiss her. On Sept. 11, 2009, Jane Doe #4 reported the assault to an Anaheim police officer. During the investigation, officers learned of the sexual assaults against the other three victims after Jane Doe #4 indicated that there may be more victims from the church. A protective order was issued against the defendant, barring him from having any contact with the victims directly or through a third party. During the sentencing today, Jane Doe #2 and the mother of Jane Doe #4 gave victim impact statements to the court explaining the long-lasting effect that Campoverde's actions has had on his victims. Jane Doe #2 said that the defendant has hurt her ability to trust. Deputy District Attorney Cynthia Herrera of the Sexual Assault Unit prosecuted this case.
### ******************************************************To change your E-Notifier subscription preference, go to http://www.orangecountyda.com/home/inde ... 691ED46F9B

To unsubscribe from Orange County DA OfficeE-Notifier, go to http://www.orangecountyda.com/home/inde ... ubscribe=1

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:18 am

This must have been lost on you but the reason the Catholic priest scandle reached the heights it did was how deep the scandle reached into the organization. It wasn't just one or two priests and it wasn't just a few victims either. I sure hope you realize that.

In fact, it is unlikely this story would have made much news at all were it not for the whole Catholic priest scandle.

What point are you trying to make exactly?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:44 am

not4u13 wrote:This must have been lost on you but the reason the Catholic priest scandle reached the heights it did was how deep the scandle reached into the organization. It wasn't just one or two priests and it wasn't just a few victims either. I sure hope you realize that.

In fact, it is unlikely this story would have made much news at all were it not for the whole Catholic priest scandle.

What point are you trying to make exactly?

[font=Comic Sans MS] wants more articles like [/font] these #-o

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:18 am

not4u13 wrote:This must have been lost on you but the reason the Catholic priest scandle reached the heights it did was how deep the scandle reached into the organization. It wasn't just one or two priests and it wasn't just a few victims either. I sure hope you realize that.

I'm not sure why ND doesn' get that. It isn't just that the abuse occurred--there are scumbags in every walk of life. The fact that the Catholic Church systematically protected the molesters and that protection went all the way to the top is what is so egregious.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

GOODave

Postby GOODave » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:02 am

Fordama wrote:I'm not sure why ND doesn' get that. It isn't just that the abuse occurred--there are scumbags in every walk of life. The fact that the Catholic Church systematically protected the molesters and that protection went all the way to the top is what is so egregious.

Fordama

AND because it was the Catholic church and not some nondescript, 50 member hispanic church that meets in a strip mall.

Return to “Crime and Punishment”